News posts from 2002 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 11th, 2002, 04:43 PM   #196
Wrangler

The Soderberg article contains the same cheerleading we've been hearing on the part of TI for half a decade. From TI's perspective, it's important to establish a monopoly on theatrical digital exhibition in the next 15 years, before their DLP patent portfolio expires. Without some weight being thrown around behind the scenes, widespread digital retrofitting is unlikely to happen, because exhibitors know that if they wait another decade, there will be more competition in the market, and the associated costs of upgrading their projectors from 35 mm film to DLP will be fraction of what they are today for technology that will have since been improved many times over.

Those looking for something new in the article will be disappointed. Just the same, thanks for the heads-up, Jeff!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #197
Outer Circle

They should have kept making manual cameras, and with mounts to use Zeiss and/or Leica lenses. They should also have made better lenses for their cams. I've got to track down old ones all the time, and with even these, it is slim pickin'.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 05:46 PM   #198
Regular Crew

Firewire to DVD

Won't save wear on Don's XL1s tape drive, but I wonder if the Panasonic and Phillips DVD recorders that claim to take Firewire input and convert to DVD discs would save Don's time anyhow?? Would appear to save having to download DV tape info to some editing/conversion computer suite and use computer DVD write drive to burn DVD discs. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on using these $900 DVD recorders to burn DVD disc using Firewire output from DV camcorder??
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:10 PM   #199
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Interesting. Too bad Magic Bullet couldn't remove the artifacts of inane, insipid imbecility from this feature. <g> -->>>

Yep, once you pull all that out though, you are left with a 3 minute long show. :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #200
Trustee

No wonder they are having trouble, they have licensed Kodak and Fuji to use their F mount on their pro digital cameras which cost a lot less than the Nikon versions
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #201
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

And that represents just the titling and credits (which I'm sure are beautifully rendered). ;-)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 07:21 PM   #202

Yes, Nikon became badly tangled by its (1980's) decision to enter a portion of the semiconductor industry, which has seen breathtaking troughs with few intervening peaks during the past decade. Nearly every move in that business costs a player $1bil. That, coupled with a Japanese economy still-swooning from nearly 40 years of self-delusion and a moribund management has really weakened Nikon. It's particularly regrettable because they own the preeminent name in photography.

Japanese companys' financial statements are notoriously opaque and clouded by interpretations. So it would be impossible for anyone except an financial analyst skilled in following Japanese companies to assess Nikon's true position. But, as a layperson, I do not see their aquisition as a viable way forward through. I'd bet that Nikon's whole right now is worth much less than the sum of its parts and that aquisition would certainly lead to demolition. Rather, perhaps overly optimistically, I see them freeing themselves from their millstones and building on their still-powerful consumer and commercial brand identity in the optical spheres.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old November 11th, 2002, 07:31 PM   #203
ChorizoSmells

Digital Projector Theater Search

The best thing from the article was using the site's search engine and finding out that there are 3 theaters in town that use digital projectors, now I know where I'm seeing Spy Kids 2.
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:55 AM   #204
New Boot

I was just looking at the Hitachi dockable DVD deck. It is being sold as a broadcast deck and connects to their camera head. I have not found out yet what it will take to connect it to other docable cameras. It appears to be small and lightweight. It is supposed to ship in the next month or so. There are hard drive units that connect to DV so it seems to make sense that DVD field units can't be far away.
Doug Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #205
Major Player

Using a Hard Drive to Show Films in Theaters

Nice story by By Amy Harmon in the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/14/movies/14DIGI.html
Old November 14th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #206

Dan,
Thanks so much for posting a link to this very interesting article. I've taken the liberty of moving it to this forum since we've had several other "digital cinema" threads here recently.

Old November 15th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #207
Warden

217 GFlops . . . I wonder if it does RT Effects

Saw this article about parallel processing and 33 Dual Processor G4 servers http://daugerresearch.com/fractaldem...Benchmark.html

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 11:37 AM   #208

Naw, still requires an add-in proc. <g>

This is pretty impressive performance. It will take a while for the price/performance relationship of Apple's XServe platform to penetrate the corporate world...if it ever does. But in the scientific world, such as JPL and NOAA, where computing horsepower is of preeminent importance it should be quite a boon.

Old November 15th, 2002, 04:06 PM   #209

WiebeTech Intros A 250Gb Firewire / USB Drive

Well it looks like WiebeTech has been busy lately. On the heels of introducing a 200Gb drive in October, they've now topped themselves by offering a 250Gb Firewire / USB drive. That's one heckuva big drive! But unlike their 200Gb SuperGb drive, this big drive is not bus-powered. Also, the product data sheet indicates that it's not a 7200rpm drive, suggesting that it's a 5400rpm unit.

Still, it's a landmark for such a unit. To learn more see their site at:
http://www.wiebetech.com/

Old November 17th, 2002, 01:29 PM   #210
Regular Crew

"Personal Veolcity"

Recently saw this feature, from InDigEnt, shot on a PAL PD150. It was beautiful although it had the markings of the brown-y/green-y Sony look, which I'm not a fan of personally, but it was otherwise beautiful and clear. I think there's a slight color difference in shooting between Sony MiniDV and Canon MiniDV. It's probably just me. Good luck to you all on finishing your films. You can find out more about InDigEnt at http://www.indigent.net/.

Christian
www.nebunule.com
Christian Calson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News