News posts from 2002 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 19th, 2002, 04:02 PM   #211
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Trigger Street Productions

My wife saw Kevin Spacey discussing this organization, which he founded. I found it interesting and thought others might as well.

From their site's "About Us" page:
Quote:
Trigger Street Productions, Inc., was formed in 1997 by Kevin Spacey to develop and produce entertainment in a variety of mediums. Realizing that the path to his own success would have been much rockier without the support and encouragement of many outstanding mentors, Spacey has sought out a way to inspire, nurture, and help bring exposure to new and undiscovered talent. If you are in a position to help others, if you find yourself in the building of life and you can send the elevator back down, that becomes your earnest duty. This philosophy has become the catalyst for the second step of his vision - TriggerStreet.com.

TriggerStreet.com was founded in January 2002 as the web-based filmmaker and screenwriter's community of record - an interactive mechanism for the purpose of discovering and showcasing new and unique talent. Based on the principles of creative excellence, it provides industry access and exposure to help build the careers of notable new filmmakers and screenwriters of our day.

Our mission is to encourage the creative process of filmmaking and screenwriting by providing hands on, peer-to-peer, objective criticism and letting the material be judged on its own merit. We offer an engaging avenue of exploration for both first time and veteran film directors, writers, and enthusiasts, anyone at all, who is attempting to bring his or her vision to the screen.

Our team has been extensively researching and designing TriggerStreet.com to ensure that it encapsulates every aspect of the user's desires and needs. We are using the Internet with its initial intention and design in mind: a tool to communicate. As such a constructive tool, we hope that it will be an inventive, productive, and exciting experience for all.
http://www2.triggerstreet.com/gbase/Trigger/Homepage

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 02:00 AM   #212

There's a really nice announcement page at Yahoo with sample videos from the big boys.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...gerstreet.html
Old November 20th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #213
Major Player

It appears that TriggerStreet is really taking off. They have already recieved a ton of short film entries. I've watched several and there is some good stuff being submitted.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #214
Wrangler

Yep, Tenth was very good. However there are some not so good ones. I'd rather see some sort of qualification to get in.
Also watch "Superman" vs...something I think, can't rememeber. It's in the sci-fi fantasy I think. Search for Superman. Keith and I know the guy that did it. Let me know what you think.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 12:27 PM   #215
Wrangler

PocketPC Teleprompter?

Here's an interesting site. The vendor has developed a teleprompter that uses a PocketPC that clips onto the cam's lens for portable use. I did not see details on how one control the scroll rate or how immune the system is to sunlight, but it is interesting. The URL is http://www.pocketprompter.tv/

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #216

Clever. Although clearly aimed at the under-40 crowd <g>. Also a bit pricey for what it represents, don't you think?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #217
Obstreperous Rex

Reporting from COMDEX

So far I've seen two things that really got my attention. One is Dell's new PDA, the Axim X5:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/segtopic_axim.htm

...and the other is Canon's DV Messenger software (turn your DV camcorder into a webcam):

http://www.canondv.com/dvmessenger/movie.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 04:22 PM   #218
Major Player

Tenth was good wasn't it. What is the name of the guy who did the Superman thing?
Houston, Texas
Old November 20th, 2002, 05:31 PM   #219
Wrangler

His user name is bulent_hasan Try searching for that. He's got 4 movies up there now. Busy little beaver.
Old November 20th, 2002, 05:51 PM   #220
Wrangler

I'd like to point out I hate the design of triggerstreet.com Very clumsy to use. Maybe it's not finished, but when I hit back, I want the last screen I looked at, and not have to wade through their menus again. Also, the reviwing thing is a major PITA to submit a review. I did one and it said I had to write at least 50 words. So I did, but then it wouldn't let me submit it.
I hope they fix it soon. Also the registration takes way too long for someone with a short attention span like me.
Old November 20th, 2002, 05:53 PM   #221
Regular Crew

The world's first DVD-Ram Professional Camcorder

Picture & Info

http://www.dtvprofessional.com/2002/...chi_dvdcam.htm

Article:
Quantel and film and television production online information service leader creativePLANETcommunities today announced the launch 2-popHD.com. This new online offering serves as a companion site to creativePLANET's 2-pop.com portal, which services DV filmmakers. The new site will provide a comprehensive resource of information on HD acquisition, production, post and distribution. It is an ideal platform for the creative community to discuss and learn more about the rate of acceptance HD acquisition and finishing is experiencing in the marketplace. Industry experts from the manufacturing and service provider side of the business will be monitoring the site to maintain continuity and credibility. "As someone who spends a lot of time online and a lot of time writing about digital production and post, I am very happy we have been able to work with Quantel-which is sponsoring this site-to create such a comprehensive Web resource for HD information," said Cristina Clapp, editor of creativePLANETcommunities. "Together we have loaded the site with breaking news, feature articles, forums, white papers and event listings-with plenty more to come." "The move to HD represents the next exciting evolution in our industry," said Tom McDonald, director of market development for Quantel. "The rapid adoption of 1080/24P acquisition by the networks this season is a clear indication that HD is finally here. As advancing technologies and economies of scale move HD into the mainstream, we'll work with our partners to make 2 popHD.com an information portal that will provide answers, track industry developments, highlight success stories and provide the traditional 2-pop forum for discussion and debate." In addition to being the leading site for HD industry news, 2-popHD offers visitors access to white papers, technical guides and select articles from creativePLANET publications. The site also features "Square Pixels," a monthly guest column by industry professionals including NLE designer/author Tom Ohanian, UK-based freelance writer and expert on digital television production Bob Pank, Digital TV Magazine editor Michael Silbergleid and Digital Cinema Magazine editor Brian McKernan. About creativePLANETcommunities Founded in 1997, the creativePLANETcommunities, a division of United Entertainment Media, offers online resources for the film and television production professional. Updated daily, the CPC sites
offer news, articles and discussions forums for the creative community. The company's network of sites includes 2-pop.com,
DesigninMotion.com, VFXPro.com, Cinematographer.com, Videography.com and DigitalCinemaMag.com. For more information, visit creativePLANETcommunities. About Quantel Quantel is dedicated to creating new tools for the new digital age, covering everything from terrestrial and satellite television to broadband internet, DVD and D-cinema. Quantel's generationQ is a radical, all-encompassing new concept that offers total scalability in both hardware and software across post-production, graphics and broadcast for multiple resolution,
team-working production environments.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 06:11 PM   #222
Major Player

Fight Like a Girl Club is a freaking riot!

Yes the design of Triggerstreet.com needs some major work. I am curious what Kevin Spacey is getting out of this. Just a bit sceptical that he is doing it for the good of all indie filmmakers.
Houston, Texas
Old November 20th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #223
Major Player

Re: Reporting from COMDEX

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd :
...and the other is Canon's DV Messenger software (turn your DV camcorder into a webcam):

http://www.canondv.com/dvmessenger/movie.html -->>>

Now this is a VERY cool feature. Anybody else out there downloaded this yet?
Houston, Texas
Old November 20th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #224
Wrangler

Fight like a Girl Club is good, but just a little too familliar with Slap Fight Club, which was done by Saturday Night Live or Mad TV (can't remember which).

There was another few good ones I saw today.
Backseat Driver creeeeepy
Random Acts of Violence martial arts and comedy
Old November 20th, 2002, 07:04 PM   #225
Major Player

Hmmm....never saw Slap Fight Club. All though that sounds like it could be funny. Did you ever see Film Club? Now that is a funny little short.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News