Reasonably Priced Sliders available now - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Regular Crew

slider noise

Hi, does your slider make noise that an onboard cam shotgun mic will pick up?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #17
Sponsor: Westside AV

Mark,

There is a small amount of hiss created that an omni or built in mic would pick up.

But if you use a good shotgun, in a dampened mount, I would say the sound is just about imperceptible, especially if there is some ambient noise in your scene or talent is speaking.

You are always better off with mic off camera for any real serious audio recording. Even focusing the lens makes noise, as does zooming.

In the days of tape the mic would pick up the transport.

I hope this helps, I know it may not seem like a straight answer.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM   #18
Major Player

Quite interested in a 1 metre length one. I have a Miller DS10 and an older manfrotto that runs the video head (think it's a 510 or 530 or something - will check).

Can you advise a setup that will work on the miller legs with either the miller head or the manfrotto? running an EX1.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #19

Damian,

I use Miller Solo Graphite legs and DS10 heads myself. I really like the sticks and heads. Spreading the legs to the middle position makes a 1 meter track quite stable on one set of legs, hanging a sandbag from the sticks helps keep things stable. I don't recommend leaving the camera on one end or the other with rig unattended with a 1 meter track on a single tripod.

I use a Manfrotto 701 head (it has a flat bottom and a 3/8" tapped hole in the bottom) on sliders for EX1 and EX3 now, it keeps the CG nice and low:
Manfrotto | 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head | 701HDV | B&H

I use a Manfrotto 75mm bowl to 3/8" stud adapter on the miller sticks to mount the track:
Manfrotto | 520BALL 75mm Half Ball | 520BALL | B&H Photo Video

This makes it really easy to level the track. You can also run the track on a tilt for a jib up/down effect, just make sure horizon is level and don't pan (unless you are going for a special effect).
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM   #20
Major Player

hi, double checked and it's a 501 head (bit older unit). If it's easy enough to run the miller head on it and pop the track on and off that's what I'd prefer to do.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Is it possible to lock out the slider on the rails? Or is it sticky enough when not being pushed that this isn't necessary?
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan View Post
hi, double checked and it's a 501 head (bit older unit). If it's easy enough to run the miller head on it and pop the track on and off that's what I'd prefer to do.
If the 501 has threaded flat bottom like the current version, it would work fine:
Manfrotto | 501HDV Fluid Video Head - Supports up to | 501HDV

You would need a flat top for the sticks with a 3/8"-16 threaded bolt like this:
Manfrotto | 520BALL 75mm Half Ball | 520BALL | B&H Photo Video

I hope this helps. I will be posting more detail photos today of my setup and recommended tripods and heads, both here and on my website.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
Is it possible to lock out the slider on the rails? Or is it sticky enough when not being pushed that this isn't necessary?
I have been using this system now for over a year, and I have not found it necessary. There is a bit of resistance that keeps the truck in place. To start moving it has the same feel as a liquid head, there is some resistance, but that helps you make smooth moves, stops and starts.

Yes it is possible to put a lock on the track. I will be offering this as an option, it will simply be a nylon bolt that can be tightened onto the track through the truck. This could be useful if you run track at a slant.

I found about a 7º tilt is enough for the truck to slide slowly on its own. A nice effect. This will vary with the weight of your camera and head setup.
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #24
Major Player

Errrmmm, doesn't this look remarkably like an exact clone of the already
available and reasonably priced [insert name of some other slider here]?
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Errrmmm, doesn't this look remarkably like an exact clone of the already
available and reasonably priced [insert name of some other slider here]?
Reasonably priced!? Wow, OK. I have been looking for a slider solution for a while and that one certainly seems good but everytime I went to the site I balked at the $537 plus shipping which will probably be another $100 to where I am.

Don't get me wrong the product looks nice and has gone through lots of development but it's pretty expensive for what it is. I have read around the forums and you can buy the track yourself and if you're handy make up a nice slider. But if you don't have the ability or time or whatever then you're going to be prepared to pay, but [insert name of some other slider here] does represent a pretty big markup.
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #26
Major Player

As above. The [insert name of some other slider here] is nice as it is is a reuse of some off the shelf bits you can buy to make yourself a track. This is a similar product using the same bits that anyone can buy and use to make themselves a slider - but we can't all make these things ourselves, through lack of skill or equipment.

Jeeze I just thought it was a bit of healthy competition. Assuming similar shipping costs to me here at the lower part of the world: $630ish compared to $400 ish.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

A quick note about this thread:

Frankly I'm dismayed that a couple of folks are insinuating that Olof has directly copied [insert name of some other slider here] (and yes that company's name has been purposefully removed from view -- it could be one of any number of similar sliders). I even had to remove a personal flame, posted by somebody who should know better that we don't tolerate personal insults on this site.

Olof's slider DOES NOT "look remarkably like an exact clone" of one specific slider vs. any other. There are very clear differences which are easily discerned simply by examining his photos that make his version unique to all the rest. There are numerous makes and models of sliders out there today; to say that Olof's version somehow copies one, out of all the others, doesn't make any sense. They're *all* sliders, they all work pretty much the same way with the same types of rails, i.e. the IGUS Drylin W linear slide system. They're all variations of the same thing. There is no foul committed here... and many thanks to Olof for supporting DV Info Net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #28

Here are some more details photos and actual setups I use.

I just finished shooting the family portrait.

I will soon have all the info on my website and you will be able to place orders there.

You can still order by email or by contacting me.

If you have any questions or comments contact me:
olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-slider_family_portrait.jpg   Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-slider_feet.jpg  

Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-4ft_tri_and_mono.jpg   Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-sanbag_millersolo_middle_spread.jpg  

Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-slider_2ft_ex1nanoflash.jpg   Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-slider_6ft_dual_tri.jpg  

Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-slider_bowl_detail.jpg   Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-75mm_bowl_parts.jpg  

Old January 24th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #29

Oops one more photo. You don't have to use a use a tripod with a bowl.

It is easier to level if you use only one tripod.

I often use 2 light Manfrotto tripods with my six footer. It is really easy to carry around. Just fold the legs in and carry rig on your shoulder, it is well balanced and light. Be careful though if you leave the camera on the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Reasonably Priced Sliders available now-slider_tripod_wo_bowl.jpg  
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #30
Wrangler

Perhaps some are not aware that ALL of these sliders are essentially copies of the full-size versions we have been using for at least a decade. Giving a manufacturer credit for figuring out how to downscale, simplify and sell an existing design for less is fine, but it's not the same as originating the concept.

I've been using the afore-UNmentioned slider for the first time on a current shoot, and I have to say that there is way too much resistance for my taste. I'm used to a system with metal bearings that glides (sorry; insert other verb here...!) free to the touch, with a variable drag that allows one to create exactly as much resistance is desired. Shouldn't really be that expensive to incorporate circular-raced ball bearings into this sort of design--should it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Dolly / Track / Cable