DVC 12 - The Chump - Robert Martens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old March 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #16
Major Player

This one gave me a good smile and I really enjoyed it simplicity and how well it flowed. I really liked the fact that only one coin changed as it was a make money fast book, yes, make it fast, one coin at a time! HA!
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #17
Major Player

Precisely! You are, indeed, able to make money, and as we see, it is rather fast; only a moment or two before your shiny nickel arrives. You just have to be, shall we say, conservative in your expectations.

That book jacket is the printout I mentioned in the "how's it going" thread as having worked out at the last possible minute. Almost out of ink, every test print I make is plagued with that ugly banding you get with seldom-used inkjets, I start scouring the house for spare ink cartridges thinking that might be the problem ... and then I think to simply tick all of the highest quality checkboxes in my printer setup, turn off the high speed stuff, and hope for the best. Worked wonderfully, although now my Epson's really running on fumes.

I grabbed five twenty dollar bills (I still have them; I'll enter them presently with a note and Youtube link on Where's George? and go spend them somewhere), grabbed a few shots with my EasyShare camera, brought the only crisp, properly focused photo into Paint Shop Pro and went to work. Duplicate a layer a few times, shift some things around, add a title, price tag, and clever author name as evidence of my incisive wit, and Ctrl+P my way to completion! I then realized I'd set my rulers wrong in PSP, and the cover was shifted to one side when applied to the book. Went back, redid some things, moved the text, and added a tiny black border to make things seem more professional, and hoped for one more miracle when printing that gigantic, green, eight and a half by eleven abomination. The printer delivered, and there you have it.

A piece of trivia for those of you with nothing better to memorize, the book was "How to Ruin Your Life" by Ben Stein. The best book I could find for this, as everything else was too big to be covered by a standard sheet of paper. The printer does up to thirteen inch wide prints, but naturally, I neglected to buy any paper that size. Even this book was a little too big, and I folded the back half of the jacket into a point to try and make it look like an intentional design. Can't see my immense effort very well in the movie, but such is the way of things.

Last edited by Robert Martens; March 16th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #18
Major Player

A nice little short and sweet gag. It was simple and worked quite well. The dolly shot was a good way to transition in and out.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Wrangler

Hi Robert,

I finally got to a place (home) where I could relax and read your behind-the-scenes post.

You touched on one of my biggest questions: The pressure on your dad for that must-get one-take must have been enormous! I would have hated it. He did an excellent job, by the way.

Thanks for obliging me. Fun read! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!