The Production Lounge - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old December 18th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #16
Major Player

I've written a script, have found an actress and am scouting for locations, but I won't sign up till I've shot something. Last two walls of shame won't let me.
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Wrangler

That is funny, Andris! We've been missing you and your films so I really hope it works out and you can sign up. :)
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Any idea how to take a still, cut out the middle and make it transparent???

I do have photoshop and am editing in Vegas.
Dale, I have done this several times with Photoshop. (long time since last time)
Taking this out of my memory as I'm not on my own computer at the moment, but if I remember correct, this is how I did it:

In photoshop:
Make a new picture with transparent background.
Then copy the photo you want to use over to this new picture. (as a new layer)
Cut away the middle of this layer/photo so you see the transparent background in the middle.

Then import this new picture into Vegas. (I use Premiere, but if Vegas can handle layered photoshop filetypes, just use that...)
I believe you will use this picture as a "mask" in Vegas, and put it on a separate video track as it is done in Premiere.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Guys,

Another way if Vegas won't take a .psd file, might be to take the image into Photoshop and add a chromagreen shape the size you want in the middle of the picture. Save it as a .tiff or even a .jpg and import it in to Vegas. Key out the chromagreen (should be easy because you added it all in a single colour) and it will be transparent.

If Vegas will take a.gif file, that format can keep its transparency when saved out of photoshop (I don't think either .tiff or .jpg will stay transparent).

Hope that helps,

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

good evening,

thanks for the ideas!!

Well, we have most of my footage shot, a few more individual shots to make over the next while, and perhaps a couple to reshoot if opportunity arrises.

I solved my delima and it was rather easily after sorting out a couple mistakes I was making. Basicly I made a mask, inverted it so the center was transparent.

Rule 11 has totally prevailed this round!!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful season!!!
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Well done Dale!

Much more proactive than me. I'm now on script number 3 after junking the first two for, respectively, being too unpleasant and not making any sense. Am on the point of junking number 3 for being too sentimental.

Sure everything will be fine though. I didn't finally come up with a script idea I was happy with till three days before the deadline on DVC19 so plenty of time left ;)
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #22
Major Player

I wrote a short story about 25 years ago, and have been kicking around the idea for the past couple of weeks of adapting it to the screen for this challenge. Is this within the spirit of the challenge to use an old story?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #23
Wrangler

You bet it's okay, Bill! The only instance that wouldn't be okay is if you had wanted to use footage shot outside of the challenge dates. Go for it!
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Lorinda.
That's what I was afraid of.
Now I have to try to bring the story to life.
I know exactly how I want it to play out, scene by scene, and the challenge will be very technical to get what is on paper onto the screen. I guess that's what this DV challenge stuff is all about.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Henry, Sentimental is good in the sense that it allows you to show emotion!!!!

I have been waiting for matching weather to reshoot a couple basic shots!! I still have not received my new glasses yet!!! focusing is still an issue!!!

I am flying out january 8th for a ten day shoot down in Balmy California!!!! I will have to post mine, if I finish it, by the 6th!!!

Tomarrow morning looks good to shoot, only -12 and a 20 click wind, can't wait!!!

dale

!!!
Old December 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #26
Major Player

I kind of chickened out of the sentimental one - it was a bit too personal!

Have finally settled on a revamped version of the really nasty idea I had in the first place. Been given a compendium of 50's sci-fi/horror comics for christmas and I think it's having a bad effect on me ;)
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Henry, nasty ideas gleaned from 50s comics will be welcome. But actually so would be a sentimental stab.

Well, in my case, choice of genre really was determined by practicalities. Nailing down actors before the big Christmas/New Year's exodus was key. I managed to get much of the script done before the talent high-tailed it, but not all, which is now going to call for some adaptation.

Also, I kind of wanted to try something different. So given my last DVChallenge had a humorous bent with a literal take on the theme, this time I'm aiming for something from a different place. And even though I have some interiors (where we have greater control over audio and angles and what happens, right?), this time I very consciously wanted to get outside to "open up" the story, put it a bit more in the world outside.

Am currently organising the images, seeing what's missing. Feeling uncertain as to how it will all come together, but hoping for the best.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #28
Major Player

Great to hear it's going well Marc. I hope everything comes together as planned. I'm really looking forward to seeing your video.

Many thanks for the kind words also. The sentimental script touched on Alzheimer's and the situation that brought it to the forefront of my mind is quite immediate. I didn't want to put my family through a production that was a bit emotionally raw at this time of year, so I've put the script on the back burner to get made at some unspecified point in the future.

The nasty one is going well though. I have quite an advanced draft that I'm very happy with (barring the inevitable last minute changes) and I've just sent a begging email to one of the compositors on the last feature the company I make coffee for did. Hopefully he's not too busy over the holiday season and can spare a couple of days to help me out with the VFX shots I need. Fingers crossed! Other than that I've blagged my boss to compose the soundtrack again and my Dad is currently wrapping his head around he latest piece of grip he has to build (last time a snorricam, this time a dolly and track - I really should learn how to use a screwdriver myself one of these days). Location is pinned down and (I think) costume and practical FX are all sorted. Now I just need an actor that fits the bill.

And I got a proper clapper board for christmas! It's the little things...
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #29
Major Player

Oh, and Dale, I feel your pain. I've got conjunctivitis in my right eye and feel a bit Donald Pleasance in The Great Escape at the moment. Hopefully it'll be gone by the time we shoot!
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #30
Wrangler

well, I have a lot of footage of my dog and cat chewing each others' faces, and that is about it, so far. My fur actors are not cooperating.

I need a plan. A master plan.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge