The Production Lounge - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old December 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #31
Major Player

Meryem, have you thought about trying an animal wrangler? The one time I worked with one personally they were on a small shoot where I was running the show. The wrangler was not only an absolute trooper but also very accommodating about rates- this being the holiday season as well you might be able to get yourself a bargain. I was amazed at what the wrangler could reliably and safely get their animals to do on cue and how consistently they could reproduce it, take after take. Granted that shoot was working with tarantulas the size of my head (!) but the company I work for has also used wranglers for different, more cuddly animals on larger productions with invariably excellent results.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:08 PM   #32
Wrangler

I thought I was supposed to be the animal wrangler. I doubt my production insurance would cover the cost of a stranger intervening in one of Daisy and Kosmo's wrestling sessions! Too dangerous!

I put out the plea on Facebook to see if any of my film friends could bail me out with a better concept than shooting the pets. We'll see how it goes. Looking pretty good at the moment.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM   #33
Wrangler

Too bad! Daisy & Kosmo even makes for a great title. :)

Every germ of an idea I have on my own or receive from others gets the ax for one reason or another. This may be the toughest theme [for me] yet!
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:00 AM   #34
Major Player

Today I shot the first few shots by a semi-frozen sea. (not officially participating yet)
It was very cold, my hands kept freezing, not even mentioning the iris, focus and zoom rings of my cam and waves were clashing against the ice.
In an hour will go to shoot 90% of the rest. Then the last 2% some other weekday.

Not sure if it'll fit in 5mins though, that's my biggest concern.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Lorinda,

A couple Questions:

1. I have actually finished my film: it is 5:30 with credits included. Is that alright or do I actually have to cut the 30 seconds out??

2. I am leaving the country this week and I wont be back till the 19th. I was wondering if I could load it up on vimeo and send you the link so it could be posted at the appropriate time?

Suggestions???
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM   #36
Wrangler

Dale, we have allowed 5:30 before so that is okay. Originally, the rule was bent to allow 20 seconds or so extra for credits only, but we'll be charitable since you're finished and getting ready to take off. Otherwise, I would remind you that you'd be surprised how much better a tighter film can be. (A note to those who aren't finished yet: Keep in mind what Dylan has said in past challenges...it had better be worth the extra time or you risk getting docked in the judging!)

Go ahead with your plan to submit early. Send the Vimeo link to thedvchallenge@gmail.com and we'll be sure it gets posted for you. Hope you have a good trip! :)
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I'm pretty much screwed!

Was up in the mountains and filmed a lot on new years eve. Just to find out that nothing, absolutely nothing was recorded. (No sign of errors until I checked the recordings afterwards).

Back home again, I got my camera back up and running, after several rounds with a cleaning tape.
But there is no way I can get back there to film again. (Earlier in the morning, the camera performed very well, bummer!)

So unless I can come up with something totally new, and find time this week, I'm out.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:20 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Trond, that's terrible! Was it the cold that did it? Did you find out what the problem was?

Maybe you can still put something together -- even make it based on true events. As in: you may have lost some brilliant New Year's footage, but putting it into PERSPECTIVE, your camera is still working.....
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #39
Inner Circle

No, the cold is innocent. I always use a Portabrace heating cover for the camera when it is colder than 32F/0C, so the camera stayed warm all the time.
It might have been because I forgot to take the tape out of the camera from the day before. But I really don't know why it happend at that time.

I believe it was pure bad luck, and the tape clogged the camera's video heads.
Had to use the cleaning tape 3 x 10seconds to get rid of the stuff.

Interesting idea you mention. I'll see if I find time to do something this weekend.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Tronde,

Get after it!! you can do it!!!

Mine is definitely real life subtly based on perspective. What else could I do when I have to do evereything by myself out here!!!!

Mine is downloading as I write this, truly the earliest I ever finished a challenge, but then I pretty much had to or swim, and I don't swim well, just sink so I stay out of the water unless I am on my Cat.

Look forward to see what pressure can do for you!!!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM   #41
Major Player

Just heard back from my lovely VFX operator but already got a replacement script in pre-production that dosen't require clever tech stuff. Decisions, decisions...
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Surely "lovely" wins out over "replacement"?
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #43
Major Player

My actress has gone down ill with high temperature. I hope she recovers until 4day, or there is no short for the DVC...
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Ok, you videogaffers with acters and actresses and fx operators and what ever else,

Drum one up you can do all on your own if nothing else!!!!!

The 8th is not far off!!!!!

I have faith in you!!!

"ucan do it," all of you!!!
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #45
Major Player

I'm on it Dale, shooting friday UK time and pre-production already underway (got my two actors confirmed today) so should be able to avoid the wall of shame...
Henry Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge