Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old April 18th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canīt share to Vimeo

Hi, my first post in this great forum.
I have just upgraded to Final Cut Pro X an when i try to upload to Vimeo i got a message that the email or password is invalid.. Itīs not.. I have tried to log on in the Vimeo-site and no problem..
Anyone who has a guess whatīs wrong??

/Mikael
Mikael Ewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canīt share to Vimeo

It's buggy and has been a waste of time for me on most occasions. Export a H.264 file and upload manually - you'll save time in the long run.
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Trustee

I do it all the time.
I remember a bit of trouble back when I first tried it. But eventually, I just set my export to 720p (1280x720) and put in my Vimeo Pro account ID and Password and everything started working flawlessly.
I've posted dozens of videos with a single click and it's a whole lot easier than any other posting solution I've ever used.

FWIW.
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Ewald View Post
Hi, my first post in this great forum.
I have just upgraded to Final Cut Pro X an when i try to upload to Vimeo i got a message that the email or password is invalid.. Itīs not.. I have tried to log on in the Vimeo-site and no problem..
Anyone who has a guess whatīs wrong??

/Mikael
Is your system software up to date?
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the feedback. Most appreciated!

Nate: I did save the project as a "Matser file" and then upload from my hard drive. Seems to work, it is uploading right now. Can you tell me more about your workflow when upload? I have a lot to learn here, i must say. Thanks.

Bill: I donīt know what iīm doing wrong but i cannot get it to work?? Frustrating. Did it several times from iMovie and that worked just fine.

Chip: I should think my system is up to date.
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Major Player

I export a Master File, then use Compressor to create an H.264 which I upload to Vimeo. Works great.

If you are happy with the default Compressor Vimeo export settings, you can skip the Master export. I have made a few adjustments to that default - a bit higher data rate, locking it to 30 fps instead of timeline settings, etc. so that's the reason I do that extra step.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Trustee

David, you can set up any compressor preset you want to be rendered right from the FCPX timeline to save a step. Just click "Add a Destination" on the share menu and select the Compressor preset you would like to use.

Mikael, I use the "720p/1080p Apple Device" presets from the Final Cut share menu, then when the settings box comes up, I change the video codec to "Better Quality." I also use "Faster Encode" if I'm just putting up a draft of something. If you really want a high bit-rate for those special projects, change the format box to "Computer" versus "Apple Devices." It bumps the bit-rate from 5-7mbps to 15-20mbps. I also have found it to be more "true" to the color I see in the FCPX canvas.

Bill, I'm not sure why the Vimeo option doesn't consistently work for me (on all my computers), but I certainly wish it did...
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Nate - I'm aware of that, but for some reason, with my setup, Custom Compressor presets do not show up correctly in FCPX, so I can't use that feature. In FCPX the Custom Presets folder is empty.

I even got troubleshooting help here a few months ago and tried lots of things - it just doesn't work for me. I'd have to wipe the drive and start from scratch, and the extra step right now is far less trouble than doing that :-)
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Fair enough!

It seems like everyone has their little glitch issue with FCPX in one way or another, be it exporting to Vimeo or having presets not show up in the share window.

Only a bit longer until 10.0.9...
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone!
I have to learn step by step but now I know that I can upload using the Master-file option. And there I can set the codec to H.264 and that seems to do the work, right?

Not very skilled at this but I hope I get the point.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Major Player

It's been working fine for me.

Also, seems like the audio being out of sync issue when uploading to YouTube has been fixed.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Mikael, yes, this will work:
1. export a master file
2. use Compressor to convert to h.264
3. go to your Vimeo account, click upload video, choose the h.264 file.

If you make a Custom Setting in Compressor for Vimeo, YouTube, etc., you can add that as a separate Destination in the Share options in FCPX. That would combine 1. and 2. as a single step.

Nate,
This conversation led me to revisit my problem of custom settings not being accessible in FCPX. I finally found someone online who solved it - the problem was not Compressor 4 or FCPX, but some lingering pref files from Compressor 3 that were "confusing" FCPX somehow. I removed Comp. 3 totally with FCS Remover and all is well. Funny thing, although I did not have it remove Comp. 4, it did remove my Comp. 4 custom settings - luckily I had backed up that folder just in case.
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Old files leftover from prior software versions that have different plumbing are always a hassle.

At some point, I think it's really important to pick your horse and learn to ride it properly.

Over the past month, I've uploaded more than 15 files to Vimeo - I had issues with TWO of them. Both on the same project, both where the Share menu wouldn't appear.

Turns out that the core video file the were both sorced from a bad "end of file" marker - so the program didn't know where the video stream was supposed to end. The solution was to put an IN and OUT marker in my X timeline covering the original content - Export that as a separate clip. Re-import it and use THAT as the primary storyline, rather than the corrupt original.

This kind of stuff happens in the DV realm. They're just data files and if something gets hosed in the data, your whole data handling system can hang.

So the lesson is that if you know that people are doing what you want to do - and saying that they can do it easily - then it might be worth the time to trouble shoot things so that you can benefit if the simpler solution is something you value.

I know personally I've learned time and time again that something I've been doing the "traditional" way has become MUCH easier - but it's taken my FAR too long to revise my workflow to benefit from it. Countless hours lost to struggle when the eventual solution turned out to be hugely easier.

I personally HATE the idea that after living with the ease of Vimeo output from my X timeline I'd EVER have to go back to one of the multi-step processes of my past. It just seems horribly old fashioned.

But that's just me

FWIW.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X