DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #526
New Boot

NLE in Spanish

Anyone know of good NLE software that will run in Spanish? Could be Mac or PC I suppose, although I think they are using Macs now. This is for a friend teaching video among indigenous folk in Guatemala.
Dave Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #527
Inner Circle

Avid has multi language support
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #528
New Boot

Thanks Richard - I'll pass that along.
Dave Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 11:14 PM   #529
Tourist

MAC to Camera..Firewire problem

Hey everybody,

First of all I like to say hello to everybody out there. this is my first post in the forum and I am excited to be in this DV world.

I have a G4 Mac and a TRV900...recently my camera got busted because of a firewire problem. The service guy at the store told me that the my G4 powermac with OS10 is burning out my firewire circuit in my DV camera because of the high voltage from my Mac being delivered to my camera DV firewire inputs.

I like to ask if anybody has a suggestion or advise on this. Does that means that in future I cannot connect my MAC to my camera anymore? This is distressing for me as I just bought the MAC machine and is looking forward to begin my editing career.

Thanks.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:39 AM   #530
Inner Circle

Daniel...

Check to see if the G4's firewire ports work with anything else just to rule out the G4. If it's able to mount external drives or other cameras then you know the problem is definitely the camera.

There's no way for the G4 to zap your camera through the firewire cable, unless there's a major problem with the cable you're using.

The G4 has a 6-pin socket which does supply power. However, the camera's socket is 4-pin, which is identical to the 6-pin except that there's no provisions for power.

Apple was among the first to adopt the firewire standard and, as far as I've experienced, all of them work as advertised. I have three Macs here at home and several more at work. None have had the problem you describe. I've connected an XL1, XL1s, Sony deck, Kodak DCS 620x, external hard drives and a Canon Elura without incident.

You might want to check with a store that provides Apple repair service to make sure it's not the G4.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:18 PM   #531
Regular Crew

I have been experimenting with Plugins lately too. I have bought Joe's Filters, Virtex Filters and the big one BCC (Boris Continuum Complete) I got the Motion pack that includes Boris RED too.
BCC you can install into AE and FCP and RED too. RED is like AE but I'm still trying to get my head around it. New version or RED out soon too. I think I'd like Final Effects too but it is quite expensive here compared with BCC. i think their site is www.borisfx.com
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:57 PM   #532
New Boot

swf to avi for use in premiere

Is there a program that converts swf to avi, with the wav sound, that can be easily used in premiere? (other than using quick time, and seperately getting the sound)
Walter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:00 PM   #533
Trustee

If you have the original .fla file you can export it as an .avi in Flash MX. I think Flash 5 will do it to, but not Flash 4 or earlier.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:37 PM   #534
Regular Crew

Daniel, you might also inspect the cable. I saw a cheap cable bend the pins on a Sony D8 4pin port, effectively disabling the port and shorting out the PC firewire card. (Luckily, it wasn't my camera, cable, or PC...). When in doubt, replace the cable first.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM   #535
Major Player

FCP4 ship date?

Anyone know of a confirmed shipdate for FCP4 yet?
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:35 AM   #536
Major Player

QT 6.3 released

From the Apple web site -

Enhancements in QuickTime 6.3
Support for 3GPP, the new standard for multimedia on wireless devices, including:
AAC and AMR audio
MPEG-4 and H.263 video
3G Text
Native .3gp file format support (available via the 3GPP Component, a free download at apple.com/quicktime/download)
Playback of .amr and .sdv files (available via the 3GPP Component, a free download at apple.com/quicktime/download).
Automatic detection of streaming transport. [?3214344?]
Improved MPEG video playback in Keynote. [3069390]
Significant improvements to DV audio and video synchronization. [3144077, 3178468, 3243786]
Import and playback of Kodak DCS Photo Desk JPEG files. [3171514]

QuickTime Pro users also get access to an enhanced AAC encoder.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:37 AM   #537
Major Player

Confirmed, no. Thinksecret is reporting June 9.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:12 AM   #538
Regular Crew

Vcd

Hey folks,
I have a fcp project I would like to burn to VCD... I have Cleaner... and I tried it out... its now saved as an MPG file... i burned it to CD. the dvd player recognizes it... plays it.. goes through the time code... but the image stays on the DVD players main window... and no audio... Damn it, Im a filmmaker... all this computer stuff is giving me such a headache! lol Actually... you people have been more then a world of help. I appriciate it so much. With your help I will become supper savy with all this sh#t

Thanks
Michael
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 02:44 PM   #539
Regular Crew

Automate to timeline?

Is ther a way to automate stills to the timeline with a default transition between each in FCP3 like there is in Premiere? Or do you have to add the transition manually between each still?
Old June 4th, 2003, 01:19 AM   #540
Trustee

dies anyone else notice slower load tiems when playing m2v files? IT's taken me like 5 times as long to open an m2v file as it did in quicktime 6.2
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite