NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 14th, 2003, 05:17 AM   #601
Regular Crew

I can't make any recomendations from personal experience but I've made some research. I chose against the Maxtor drive because I read posts and reviews that mentioned the drive failing after a short period of time. Also it doesn't seem to have a power switch. Therefore I chose to get the Lacie equivilant, they seem to have a good reputation in the mac community.

I couldn't find exactly the drive I'm getting but this is close: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?action=CrossSell&options=SC&dpno=138841#scroll

I'm getting the one with 250Gb 8mb chache next week, I'll report back with my impressions of it.
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #602
Regular Crew

building my own firewire harddrive. is it ok?

i found a Maxtor hard drive (160gb, 7200rpm, 8mb buffer) for $100. I was wondering if i bought one of those firewire cases for $100 and turned it into a firewire hard drive, would it work just as good as if i bought a maxtor external firewire hard drive? has anyone ever done this before? did it work? is maxtor a decient hard drive? any dropped frames while editing with a maxtor drive?
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #603
Air China Pilot

A lot of firewire kits are just that. They are a regular drive popped into a kit. I don't see the big deal. I have two just like this. 72000rpm is good.
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #604
Major Player

There have been descriptions of the screen shots of Panther and it is still GUI, some argument as to how big of a departure from the Aqua interface it may be. Some say it is more brushed metal.

Most of the comments I've seen have concerned the under the hood parts not the user interface parts.

Some recent discussions say that the G5s may not be ready for WWDC. I wouldn't be surprised about that since the OS apparently isn't there yet. I would still hope that it was demoed and announced. After all there was a big gap between when the 17" Powerbooks were announced and advertised and when they were available. I suspect most of us would want dual processors and everything I've read suggests they won't be available until fall at the earliest.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #605
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for your input!

[Bengamin]

Thing is that I need a huge Drive and I thought this was a good deal. After reading your recommendations that all firewire drives are really IDE in an external Firewire case I think is better to just buy an internal IDE and save some bucks. Maybe I'll buy a Firewire case for it! :)

[Imran]
BTW I would like to hear your experience after you buy your new HD I'll be checking for your post.

Thanks guys
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #606
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I typically export the timeline in "NTSC DV/DVCPro" format with the audio at 48kHz. I then use Cleaner to compress this raw DV stream as needed.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #607
Major Player

Well, sort of. THe external drives are just internal IDE drives in a firewire case. However, sticking the SAME big internal drive in a Powermac may leave you very disappointed. The problem is the interface. AFAIK, only the very newest G4s can handle the big drives. The rest of them will read the drives but they will only allow you to access around 135 gb. You can get around this with a PCI board in the Mac or with external drive (where the chip to handle the bigger drive is already present).

So, if you have an older Mac then you'll likely need to go the external FW drive route (or add a card).

This isn't just a Mac issue. If you look at the boxes for the big internal drives they often come with the necessary cards - for PCs.
Old June 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #608
Regular Crew

External storage for a Mac?

Hi people. Ive got a dual 867 Mac.
Im about to do some editing of an hours worth of footage with FCP3.
Would it be a good idea to get an external drive to dump all the stuff in? Theres a 125gig external HD on sale in town for £200. If I put all my editing stuff on there, would it work ok?
Trent O Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #609
Wrangler

In my own (admittedly limited) experience, just about any 7200 RPM firewire drive should be fine. I have three different ones, from ACOM, Maxtor and Western Digital. No problems with any of them using FCP 3. Only caveat: I'm still using MacOS 9.2 on older G4/733.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #610
Major Player

You just need to make sure the chipset in the external case can handle a 160 gb drive. It wouldn't hurt to check out the information at www.xlr8yourmac.com
Old June 15th, 2003, 03:23 AM   #611
Trustee

Iw ould say 72000 is great mine is just a 7200 and it works fine ;)

You might not want to spend so much on a case I got a case off ebay for 35 bucks myroom mate and I both did actually, he put a 200 and I put a 250 in haven't had a single problem with it. Final cost was about 300 bucks for an external 250gb hard drive, not bad.

(it was a chronos case and I believe a WD harddrive)
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 03:25 AM   #612
Trustee

I'm a step lower (dual 800) and have no problems with my external hardrive running os 10.2.6.8.3.5.3.5.3.3.4 or whatever they're up to now.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #613

I've had nothing but good luck with Maxtor drives. All you need for DV is 5400 RPM and I haven't seen any faster than 7200 (though I'm sure they exist somewhere). You really don't need more than 7200, as DV isn't THAT data intensive. If you are doing uncompressed video that's another story.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #614
Major Player

Upgrading to Quicktime pro

I just got my FCP4 today, and no matter what I do the serial for QT Pro isn't working. Is there something other than my own name I should enter?
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #615
Major Player

Got it.

Had to put the name "Quicktime Pro" in :)
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite