NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 48 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 5th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #706
Major Player

Corel Painter 8 and FCP questions

I dont know if there are any Corel users here but i am having a problem when I import a .psd with layers made in Corel and open it in the timeline of FCP3 all of the colors basically turn semi transparent or purplish blue in other words its all screwed up on every layer.If i save a .pict of the same file and import it to FCP evrything looks fine.I assume this has something to do with the layers when i'm saving in Corel but I cant figure it out.

Any suggestions?
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #707
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Matt,
I just tried importing a multilayer Painter 8 file, saved as a .psd and had no trouble. All colors on all layers appear true. I saved the Painter file in RGB color format with alpha preserved.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:38 AM   #708
Major Player

Ken I still havent figured it out.I saved the exact same way.Is there a FCP setting that i need to change to import layers llike this?Basically my reds will turn blue my blacks will turn blue and it has a photo negative style look to it as well - if this makes any sense.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #709
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Check your email, Matt.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #710
Regular Crew

What's the process like going the other way, from an analogue video in PAL to digital NTSC? Is this also a job best left to a pro facility, or is it possible on a Mac (with what as a front end?)?

Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #711
Tourist

getting composite vid into fcp

Ok I've never been on a chat board, or edited on fcp, so forgive me if i'm outta line here, but here goes:
I've been making 16mm films for 17 years and now finally got a g4 and fcp3. I need to learn about options to import composite ntsc into fcp. I'm also interested in ways of bringing in still images. I know i can borrow my girlfriend's dv camera and use it as an I/O and come in on the firewire. OK, but what are other options? I'd love to eventually work with a less-compressed signal, but all the options I've seen (like Kona) cost thousands and require more computer than I have. In the meantime, is there a low-cost card (and driver--if necessary) available that will do the same job of (digitizing, compressing, encoding--what ever it is that happening in there) that a consumer dv camcorder will do? Is there one that will also bring in stereo analog audio?
I greatly appreciate any advice that will spare me from trying to "decode" this info from salespeople. Cheers, bill
Bill Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #712
Regular Crew

Frame skips on FCP 3 - help!

Hi all:
I'm cutting a project on my FCP 3.0.2 based Mac (G4 1GHZ Dual + 40 GB internal 7400 HDD + 80 GB internal 7400 HDD + 1 Gig RAM). While playing my project off the timeline, I'm noting frames skipping every now and then. Rebooting doesn't make it go away.
Could this require a defrag of the media HDD (that's the 80 GB disk)? Went through a lot of footage in Offline RT format before I deleted the unused media and recaptured my rough cut in HiRes. I assume that means the media files may be fragmented across the HDD... documentation on the Apple site says their file system ensures defargging is rerely needed.
...Any ideas? Need to sort this out fast - I'm nearing the end of my edit, and if I need to recapture everything or something, I'd like to know soon!
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #713
Warden

How full are the drives? Do you have media on both drives or just one?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #714
Warden

If quality is an issue (and when isn't it?) then use QT. It looks OK going from PAL to NTSC. The other way looks pretty bad to my eyes. Just do and import and export through QT and you have it. some people claim better results using After Effects, but from what I've seen it isn't worth the effort.

Almost all PAL DVD players can play NTSC.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #715
New Boot

tips on speedy editing and transitions, please.

I have a question about how can I speed up editing in FCE. My main concern is with the transitions. I am a self taught user because this is what they use at work, but they don't seem to have manuals anywhere, and I think I've gotten what I can from the apple user site.

In FCE I use the viewer to cut up footage and assemble in the Timeline and then I add transitions, but each transition takes forever it seems.

What I do is pull a dissolve down from the effects tab and drop it in place, and then the same for the audio, then I adjust the duration. then over and over again the same way for each transition.

How can speed this up? Is there a way to save transitions with audio crossfades somewhere for quick access? What methods do you guys use?

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Ricardo Vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 10:26 PM   #716
Regular Crew

Jeff, thanks:
The media files are all on the larger (80 GB) disk. The 80GB disk has about 45 GB of data on it; the 40 GB disk has about 15 GB of data on it (software etc.)
I'd have thought I'd only see playback detrioration after filling up about 75% of either HD...
I'm running a Norton Utilities defragment on any fragmented media files in the meantime, just to see whether any of the media files are fragmented.
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2003, 11:21 PM   #717
Warden

There are several low cost boxes that will convert analog video and audio to DV and back. The Dazzle Hollywood Bridge is one, Canopus makes a fine unit also. You will still end up with DV and the inherent 5:1 compression. If your looking to go uncompressed, then you will need a card like the Kona. They are not cheap, but nothing about uncompressed digital video is cheap. Uncompressed media requires many large hard drives and other support media. In other words it's expensive.

Welcome to the forums and make use of the search function that will allow you to view the over 11,000 threads and over 75,000 responses. It's a pretty amazing archive of information. But if you can't find exactly what your looking for post back and help will be on the way.

Old July 9th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #718
Regular Crew

favorites...

you can make a transition a default, then you can right click between two clips in the timeline to automatically place that transition, alternately you can drag from viewer into the canvas and overwrite or insert with transition so it is done on the go.
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #719
Regular Crew

dv is compressed....

if you are looking to use FCP then you will be working in DV so it's not going to matter if you bring it in using a DV camera or a deck, except for the fact that you probably have a lot of footage to bring in and a deck will be a much faster, easier process and it won't wear down the heads of your camera. Not all camera's have analog in, you know, but I'm fairly sure all or nearly all decks will have analog in. that's all you need.
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #720

Cropping Quicktimes?

I have something that is letterboxed on DV at around a 2.30:1 aspect ratio. I would like to make a Quicktime of this for the net, but I don't want the black bars in there. I may answer my own question as I type this, but is there a way to crop out the black bars and just have a wider Quicktime? The only way I could think of would be to take the DV file into FCP and somehow "stretch" it vertically, and then export to the Quicktime codec of my choice at a resolution that fits the aspect ratio. I have no idea, but that might lose a bit of quality being stretched and distorted back and forth like that. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Any other ideas/suggestions?
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite