DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2003, 04:00 PM   #766
Regular Crew

Feedback for The G5 Mac

With the advent of the new G5, I think imay be time to invest in an editing system. Could anyone share some thoughts on the new machine. Any glitches or bugs that I should be aware of? I have heard that AVID xpress dv pro has been known to crash on apples, has anyone had such an experience?
Steven Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:49 PM   #767
Regular Crew

hum from gym lights

Any way to use FCP to reduce the hum from what I am guessing are mercury vapor lights in a large auditorium/hockey rink? I had no other option other than an on-camer shotgun mic but I have an audible hum from the overhead lights through much/all of my video. I have played with FCP audio filters to no avail. Anyone been able to use FCP to remove such hum?
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:18 PM   #768
Wrangler

Sonic Foundry's Noise Reduction 2.0 plug-in would be perfect for it- problem, however, being that....as far as I know it's a PC only plug-in. It works with any programs that can utilize Direct X. As far as I know Direct X is a PC'only thing....though I could be wrong.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:27 PM   #769
Regular Crew

your correct...(NT)

df
Old July 22nd, 2003, 01:24 AM   #770
Inner Circle

Yes, you can use FCP to remove the hum. Have you tried the Hum Remover audio effect? While I have not used FCP for years, I was the fellow that wrote all of the audio effects. I don't have a Mac, so I'm going from memory.

While the SoundForge Noise Reducer works on hums, it also seems to take out lots of other stuff while it lends a robotic quality to the material if you try to reduce by more than 15 dB or so. For simple audio problems such as hums, it's better to remove the buzzes
with notch filters.

First, check the manual. I have a copy of the original manual, but the documentation of the Hum Remover is rather skimpy. It is designed to notch out harmonics of a hum, one by one, up to five. Typically, electrical hums are harmonics of 60 Hz. For most ground loops,the 2nd or 120 Hz component will be the most audible.

First, you have to identify the base frequency of the hum. Find a section of the audio with only the hum. Isolate at least a second. The more you isolate, the less often you will be listening to the loop. Then, identify
the hum. If you have some audio software that does spectrum analysis,
use the highest possible # of bands.
I am a PC user, so I use Cool Edit and SoundForge. The problem with both of these programs is that you really need
a LOT of bands to get an accurate frequency identification in the sub-100 Hz range. View the data logarithmically because the linear views do not display low frequencies very well.

Another method is by ear.
Go to the FCP three band equalizer or parametric equalizer, select a narrow band (high Q) and boost it maximally. Slide it around slowly in the 50-300 Hz region until a frequency pops out. Then, fine tune it until you have boosted that frequency maximally.
Then, increase the Q (reduce bandwidth) by max and hope you still have that frequency. If you do, you've found one of your gremlins. If not, nudge the frequency value around until you do. When you've made it the worst, then reverse the gain to minimum. One hum component should disapplear. This is a tedious method for all harmonics of a hum. Try the Hum Reducer tool after this. Don't remove too many frequency bands - only those that obviously contribute.
These notch filters are not selective and will remove everything in their path, including the hum.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 06:14 AM   #771
Contributor

FCP: Export a 'Batch List' to Include Clip Markers?

Hello All,

In either FCP 3 or 4 has anyone been able to export clips / bin into a 'Batch List' (tabbed text for editing in Excel or the like) that also includes a clip's embedded markers?

I was hoping that 4.0 had included this but they still seem to be ignored, irregardless of how I select / export. I have 'post-logged' some tape long captures with extended markers and could really benefit from being able to manage and manipulate them in a spreadsheet.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:20 AM   #772
Warden

I haven't seen one yet, but from what I read it should be a big leap forward. I'm planning on updating to the dual when they start shipping in good numbers. Has anyone seen one yet?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:10 AM   #773

Jeff, when you get one please put it though the paces and post a big review in this forum if you can. Maybe run a few of your own "personal benchmarks" on your existing machine now to compare the new one to later. Stuff like "How long does it take FCP4 to render a 20 second clip with these effects set to these standards" etc etc etc.

Beware, the new machines are quite large.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 02:22 PM   #774
Regular Crew

RE the size of the new enclosure, it is very big in appearence, but in reality it is not wider than the current G4s, only taller by 5 or 6 inches. The single processor models have a lot of empty, unused space inside, which seems really silly. I'd recommend not getting anything if you aren't going to get the dual processor model.
Old July 24th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #775
Regular Crew

I use Avid Express DV on a Mac G4 dual 1.25 and have not had any problems. I am ready to get into a G5 also but I will wait a few months.

I have got locked up in FCP3 on my laptop (G4 powerbook 667) plenty of times. I have not figured out what it is yet. My desktop with Avid (which has a lot more power) is solid as a rock.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #776
Major Player

Print to Video

I must make 7 Beta sp dubs whenevr i make my Video News Realeas. Is there a way to Print to Video just once or must i perform that function for evey tape, as i have been doing?
thanks
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #777
New Boot

Unless you can hook up 7 beta decks you've got to make 7 individual passes.

However, if you don't absolutely need the dead accurate timecode, just edit bars and tone and a slate into the head of your sequence. Hit record on your machine and just play from the timeline.

bogiesan
a Cannondale.
David Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #778
Major Player

good lord,

thanks for responding despite my spelling. anyway, thanks for the info...time to price 7 beta decks LOL!
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #779
Regular Crew

Color correction question. HELP!

I am editing an event in FCP 4. It all comes from one tape, which i captured in one capture, which gives me one big clip. I went throught the master clip and organized my clips. I am finished with my edit and am just doing some color correction, but- it seems like when I apply a filter to one clip, it applies it to the master clip. So, if i apply a filter to more than one clip, I get both the "corrections". This is throwing everything off. Any suggestions? Im in a major hurry to get this finished before my deadline tonight.

Stephen
Stephen Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #780
Warden

You should never capture on big clip, and now you know one of the reasons why. You will need to nest the clips to keep the effects separate.. Nesting is covered in the manual, the FCP online help (click the help button in FCP on the menu bar) and if you search this forum I have posted about nesting. You could recapture clips, but I think that would take longer.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite