NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 1st, 2003, 10:23 PM   #796
High School Student

There's a lot of filters that one might think are "useless" included with virtually every peice of software. Look at photoshop, there's stuff included there that when I first started using photoshop a long time ago, I thought were useless and stupid, but overtime I realized I can make use of some of that stuff.

I've never used FCP before, so I don't get exactly what this time stretch filter does, is it just for speeding up and slowing down video? Whatever it does, it doesn't matter since it can be useful sometime, but you don't realize it. EDIT, oh never mind, John cleared it up, thats basically just like the volicity levels in Vegas. I've used that "technique" before, and if you use it correctly, it works nicely.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 12:26 PM   #797
Major Player

New Powerbooks?

Somewhat off topic -

Anyone know when the new Powerbooks will be out and updated?

Mine died last nigth and I am trying to decide if I should wait or get one now.

Any ideas would be great.

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM   #798
Warden

I posted on this several weeks ago for Charles and others, nothing has changed as far as new announcements etc. It's still a waiting game. I suspect new 15 inch models before the holidays. Other than that, it'll be MacWorld in January for new 12 and 17 inch models.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:44 PM   #799
Major Player

Thanks.

It will be ashame to get a new 17"
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #800
Regular Crew

It's all very hush hush.... I even have a friend at Apple - but no word as they are very tight lipped about it. I also think while supplies of the TiBook are still around it will most likely be around the holidays for sure. I know a new 12 inch PB is in the works and will possibly be revised to a smaller form factor 1" thick.

Anyway ... we are all waiting and I'm sure when Apple does it, it will be done right. Remember there are new chips in the wings possibly a faster G4 or even a G5 which would be my preference if IBM can deliver a low powered chip for PB and Apple can retool quickly.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #801
Warden

G5's in the future, but not a chance they'll be ready in time for the holidays. The new PowerBooks at MacWorld might be G5 but I still doubt it. I think the new iBooks will use the new G3 (Sirocco?).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #802
Major Player

final cut express audio level

Hi, I'm running Final Cut Express on a G4. I have digitized some footage that I recorded. I don't understand why, but the actual digitized file has excellent audio, but only when played in Quicktime. As soon as I play, or try to edit that exact same file in FCX, the audio becomes very quiet (even though I can see the meter is fine) and noisy, and anything that was recorded at too high of volume (at first that's what I thought it might be) is just buzz, no voice. I'm hoping that there are some settings in FCX that I need to configure in order to work with the proper audio.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

thanks
nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 01:44 AM   #803
Regular Crew

Puttin' my old G3 in the classifieds...What does one $go$ for nowadays?

Any idea on what I can get for a G3 minus the monitor?

I'm thinkin' around $300?

Thanks,
Jason
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 04:59 AM   #804
Warden

Look on ebay and that will give you a range of prices.

Old August 5th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #805
Major Player

timeline question

Can I bring a timeline back on line without having to re-digitize the entire raw edit list?

I'm taking about re-creating the timeline only from the source tape.

The way Im doing it now is to rebatch capture all of my shot selection and then the timeline re-digitizes itself. but I would like to find a more effecient way to do this.

Thanks
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #806
Major Player

According to some on the Mac groups the 12" and 17" PBs are in short supply right now. This would seem to indicate at least a revision may be around the corner.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:05 AM   #807
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Gary,
If your source footage files are no longer on disk you will, indeed, have to re-capture them from tape. Once they are re-captured (under the same names you originally used in your bin and sequences) your sequences will automatically be restored.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #808
Major Player

OK, thank you.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #809
Major Player

Okay, its nicholi again. I've found something that seems to be a nice temporary, if not permenant, fix to this problem. I see that no one has posted a reply, but I'm sure someone else will bump into the problem eventually. Hopefully this will help.

1) After digitizing a clip that was recorded from the external mic, open the clip in FCE viewer window.

2) Click on Effects - Audio Filters - Expander/Noise Gate

3) This will give you some louder, much more usable audio. But it still sounds funny... sort of like when you have water in your ears.

4) With the clip still in the viewer window, click on the Filters tab. Under audio channel 1 is the expander filter. Set all of the filter levels (threshhold, ratio, attack, release) all the way to the left.

5) Play the clip in the viewer.

6) Jump for joy like I did.

This filter only shows up on channel 1, but for some reason it works on both channels. I tried repeating the process for channel 2, but that just screws it all up, so I'm not going to worry about it. I even used Print To Video to record onto tape through firewire back into my camcorder and it turned out excellent. I'm super pumped, and I hope this helps you out so you will be too.

nicholi
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #810
New Boot

Bitheadz' Phrazer is a loop-based editor similar to Soundtrack that supposedly runs on G3s. I don't think it directly interfaces with your NLE though.

http://www.bitheadz.com/prod/Phrazer/main.htm
Dan Wiencek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite