NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #46
Warden

Read the tutorial over at LAFCPUG. If you have time they have several other Photoshop tutorials I would recommend for a good understanding of the work flow.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Thanks. What about the Flat Screen TV. Is there a speical specification for that? Do I need to change preferences on FCP while I am editing or after edting but before transfering back to DVD or tape so I can play it on the flat screen without any distortion (Streched face effect)
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #48
Regular Crew

NTSC monitor and Mac

This may be a stupid question for you guys but I'll ask it anyway :)
I got a calibrated NTSC monitor to color correct the images on FCP. Anyone knows what components I need to hook up the monitor to the Computer. I have a G4, OSX.
Again,
Old January 24th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #49
Warden

What monitor do you have and what type of signal will it input, composite, component, RGB ?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2003, 11:48 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Vx2000, Cable Or Post Problem?

I was having a few problems with video I shot after capturing it in Final Cut Pro. When I try and edit to tape, I get a flashing of black and white images in the camera. The fire wire seems to be fine. I'm wondering if there's something with the camera. I even tried it in Adobe Priemer and updating drivers etc, which leaves the camera. Any help is appreciated.
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 04:39 AM   #51
Regular Crew

you need to stretch it from 4:3 proportions to Square pixels (1:1). Usually by stretching it from 720 in width to 768.
Old January 26th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #52
Regular Crew

FCP on an iBook??

I'm wondering how usable it is on one. I have an iBook 600 combo drive. It would only be for home use; I don't ever plan on trying to make any money on it.

I was reading about FCX, but I think I can get the educational price on FCP. Thanks.

Kirk
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #53
ChorizoSmells

Kirk,
I have an 800 mhz iBook and edit with FCP 3 on it, I use it mainly in RT Offline mode. So far it has been okay. If I was to edit with it using the full resolution DV, then I would get an external firewire hard drive to hold all my media. The only thing about using FCP on an iBook is probably waiting for it to render, it might be a little slow.
Old January 26th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #54
Regular Crew

i have an iBook/600 with 640MB of RAM and a G4/500 (single) with 1gb of RAM. they perform about the same. i've done photoshop and ae and fcp tests, and they both run pretty much neck and neck *unless* there's a lot of disk activity. which is why i use the g4 that has more disk space. but i think the iBook would be fine if i plugged my firewire drives into it. one thing to note is that if you're capturing, some people have had problems using only one firewire ( i.e. capturing to an external fw drive on your iBook ). i haven't had those problems, but i've seen them noted on the board before.
Old January 26th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #55
Regular Crew

If y'all need more info let me know. I hope this is not what to expect for the future in terms of responses.
Claude Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #56
Wrangler

Your description of the problem doesn't mean much to me. Try and be more precise about what is going on and how you have things hooked up and exactly at what step in the process the artifacts appear.

Do you mean when you attempt to transfer the video back to the camera, you have the artifacts? Where do you see the flashing B&W images and when. All the time? It may be that you need to ask this question on the Macintosh Editing Forum where I"m transferring this thread.

You posted on the weekend which is always a bit slower in terms of action.
Old January 26th, 2003, 11:46 PM   #57
Regular Crew

being flat screen shouldn't make a difference but you do need to squish the picture by changing the image size in photoshop then save it. then later when it is played back on a tv the image will be stretched back to the proper look. Depending whether you use PAL or NTSC the number of pixels will vary too. .
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #58
Regular Crew

and if I use images from the DVcam and I edit them together, will the final peice look "streched" when it plays on a flat screen TV with ratio of 16:9? Sorry if the question seems dumb but I am trying to learn as much as I can :)
Old January 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #59
New Boot

trying to capture to FCP 3.0 for the first time

This is going to be an AMAZINGLY simple question for 99.5% of you but does the GL2 come with the proper firewire cord needed for me to capture video through FCP 3.0 on a Mac laptop (667 mhz)? I have the cord that is firewire to USB (for the card, right?) What am I missing? or nothing? This is my first attempt at it and I am stuck at the start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again thanks.

Vito
Vito Zarrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #60
Regular Crew

The GL2 doesn't come supplied with a firewire cable. I was a bit upset when I brought mine home and found that out :) You can pick up one at the apple store among other places. I believe it's a 4 to 6 pin type.
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite