NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 16th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #151
Warden

New 15.4 Power Books soon

New 15.4 inch aluminum Power Books are due in 2 to 4 weeks once existing supplies of TiBooks are reduced. The features should be similar to new Power Books introduced at MacWorld in January (BlueTooth, AirPort Extreme, FireWire 800, and nVidia graphics cards).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #152

As Ken suggests, you are best off with 7200rpm with the 8mb Princeton 911 buffer.

I use the LaCie D2 200GB drives. Super fast and problem free.

Jim Wiebetech is a great guy and his drives are also very excellent.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #153
Tourist

Preview window Blocky Playback Fix for FCP/Imovie3/ Premiere

Please post your results with this fix...
just to get a handle on it's use.

Thanks.. :-)
Christian Nordquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #154
Regular Crew

Strange thing's happening

Last night I had lots of renders to do so I figured I would do them today since I guessd it needs a good day to render all the effects.
So, 1) I saved my project 2) I did a "print to video" so I can take a copy with me home and look at it. 3) I turned off the computer and quit FCP. When I came in today I discovered that I did not have to render anything. All the renders were fixed!!!! I have to mention that on the VHS I took home with me, I was able to view the effects that I couldn't see before due to lack of rendering. Could Print To Video have rendered everything and THIS FAST? It took only 20 min to print to video!
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #155
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Yes, that's basically what happened. Exporting or "printing to video" forces FCP to tidy-up its render tasks before shipping the sequence out.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #156
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken. It's amazing how fast it renders. If I had asked it to render it would've taken at least a day to do all of them.
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:49 AM   #157
Wrangler

Might also have something to do with your render quality settings. Could be rendering at lower resolution. But I've also noticed inconsistencies. For example, if I choose export as a self-contained FCP file (Quicktime) that seems to take a lot less time than rendering, but obviously it renders everything fully. However in this case it doesn't generate any render files.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:16 PM   #158
Regular Crew

iDVD 3 problems

My equipment is G4-TiPB-1GHz / OS 10.2.2 / 1024 MB RAM / FCP 3.0.4

Having read Ken Stone’s review of iDVD 3 (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/review_idvd_3.html) I was a bit leery of how my first project might turn out. Never daunted, I created a 10 minute project in FCP 3 including 6 chapter marks and I burned a DVD. The burn process went smoothly (contrary to the indications in the review) but when I tried to select menu scenes based on the chapter marks (the text buttons were created in the ‘free position’ mode) more than one scene was selected . . . making it impossible to know which scene would be played. I’d be interested in other users experience with iDVD 3 and if any work arounds are known.

Thanks!
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:36 PM   #159

Apple Offers Power Supply Exchange Program

Responding to the many complaints Apple has received about the noisy fans in its newest (released August 2002) Power Mac G4 desktops, Apple is offerring a free power supply exchange for quieter units. This program ends June 30, 2003.

To find out more visit the Apple site's page.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:01 PM   #160
Major Player

Dick I'm with you . I havent purchased iDVD3 yet but would like to just for the chapter feature but ive read numerous problem posts on apple forums.Anyone here used this yet?
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 07:59 PM   #161
Regular Crew

I have searched the Apple website but find no leads on the replacement you cite. If you have more information, please let us know.
Richard DuPree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 08:20 PM   #162
Warden

I'm not sure what your missing. Did you click on the link in Ken's post? If so, the details and links are all there. Here is the link to the order form to begin the process.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #163
Regular Crew

Duh! Thanks. I hadn't noticed that the text was hot.
Richard DuPree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #164
Regular Crew

Firewire Drives

I use a G4 at home and at work to edit with FCP 3. The problem seems to be the firewire drives and their memory. They both have 7200RPM external firewire drives attached. LaCie and Maxtor are the brands which I know to be good. Inevitably, and especially when I am importing graphics, even the smallest PSD's, FCP will say "out of memory".

My Apple at home only has 256 MB of Ram but my Apple at work has at least 512, if not 768. But they both do the same thing.

The reason I think it is in the firewire drives is because I can copy the project to my local drive and it works fine. However the project on the firewire drive will no longer respond at all.

My first workaround I just stated, my second is to not use any PSD's, but use Targas. Even big Targa's with alpha channels will import and run just fine. But it would be nice to be able to use the layers from a PSD and besides I don't want/need to find a workaround.

At home my Maxtor drive has a memory allocation area (I think) but I was always afraid to change the value and just left it on the "auto" feature. The LaCie I'm not so sure about.

Sorry this is dragging on, but I wanted to give all of the facts before posting.

Thanks
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #165

Hello Dan,
To my knowledge, the only memory involved with drives is the onboard cache memory. There is no memory allocation associated with hard disks on the Mac.

Contrary to your associative analysis, I'm confident that the difficulty you're having on your home Mac is strictly that of its very low base memory. With only 256Mb I'm surprised you aren't observing other anomalies with FCP3. Boost your RAM and I can virtually guarantee you that this problem will vanish.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite