NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 21st, 2003, 04:00 PM   #256
Major Player

Freeze Frame

when dumping to my Beta SP deck, it will only record the first frame of each edit. and thats if i use the up arrow in the canvas window. what sup?
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 04:36 PM   #257
New Boot

Thanks for the advice guys. This is definately an option.
Appreciate it.

--james
gracejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:13 PM   #258
Tourist

capturing from XL-1 to FCX

Hi Jeff,
I just read your post and I myself wanted to ask something relating to your question. I'll do this at the end of my answer to your question.
The only way I had no problems capturing from the XL-1 is the following:
Capture your video material in MacOS 9.2.2 with FCP 2.0.2. Then you will have no problems. Regardless to all the other tricks people told me this works. It makes no difference if your working on a G3 Powerbook, a G3 iMac, a G4 AGP Graphics or a new G4 2x 1MHz. I tried them all with all variations of FCP and MacOS versions 9.2.x up to 10.2.4.
FCP 3 and 3.0.2 on MacOS X Jaguar does capture but sets the captured material offline and you can't find a file on your hard disk afterwords.
FCP 3 and 3.0.2 in MacOS 9.2.2 does not capture, shows time breaks after two minutes or so. There is no help.
Having captured your video material and saved it as a new project, you can then switch to FCP 3.0.2 in MacOS 9.2.2 or MacOS X Jaguar open and save your project and you're out of trouble. You can now cut your film as usual. Only problem is you have to renew this process, if you have forgotten some video material and must capturenew material. You can't open your project on FCP 9.2.2, because of compatability problems between FCP 2 and 3.
So you have to start a new Project as described before. Afterwords you can import the captured material into your first project by "Import", "Drag and Drop" or "Copy and Paste".
Apple has a real problem with Canon and the XL-1. What I described is a repeatable bug and a heavy one. You can't change completely to MacOS Classic and Jaguar, because the described method does not work in Classic mode. FCP 2.0.2 does not work in the Classic mode. You need Mac OS 9.2.2. The problem appeared with FCP 3, did not change in FCP 3.0.2 regardless which system version you have. There are so many video companies out there using Canon's XL-1 or XL-1s and the Macintosh, I can't understand Apple's attitude.
I myself wanted to know from this american list, if somebody had heard of Apple's reactions to user complaints.
In Germany not so many people work with the XL-1 and the Macintosh and the clerks at Apple Germany did not answer my requests.

Best Regards
Wolf
Old March 22nd, 2003, 11:37 PM   #259
Regular Crew

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to do the tedious frame by frame animation.

Oh well. Thanks for the replies guys!
Old March 23rd, 2003, 09:59 PM   #260
Warden

NAB Rumors

A final beta version of FCP 4 was recently released and the stage seems to be set for the introduction of FCP 4 and DVDSP 2. Yes, recent rumors have a new version of DVDSP being announced. It is said to offer much tighter integration with FCP 4.

FCP 4 is rumored to include hundreds of real time effects, support for DV50 and FireWire 800, 24 fps editing, and it will run only on OS X. Shake may also play a support role in FCP.

I would expect some exciting news from Apple at NAB.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #261
New Boot

Distortion in frame edges

This is a problem I have wondered about for quite some time. When creating smaller frames within the screen the edges can often appear fine on my monitor but distorted or "bent" on the tv screen preventing me from getting nice square boxes. Can someone enlighten me as to what the source of this problem is?
David Crompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #262
Regular Crew

Realtime preview on premiere?

Hi there,

I recently switched from PC to mac. Does the Mac version of Premiere 6.5 have realtime preview like the PC version. If so where can I enable it. Maybe I'm just blind...... ?
Felix Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #263
Regular Crew

Most Excellent

A bump on both would be excellent, IF the features are there. I'm actually very happy with FCP 3 except for a few bugs, but a new version of DVDSP would be most welcome -- especially if it have a better more controllable encoder. Of course, better compositing and text features in FCP would be great.

Thanks for the heads-up. Are you headed to NAB?
Old March 26th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #264
New Boot

640x480 or 720x480 NTSC

Ok please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I just realized when I open a project in Premiere I open a 720x480 Project, and I just noticed after cutting and pasting a frame into photoshop from the capture window....that the frame is actually 640x480, but when I drop it into the timeline it streches to 720x480? Thought this was strange.

Now my question is why do I find the standard NTSC Frame size as 640x480??? I always thought it was 720x480? It seams that PAL has always been at 720x576. Can somebody clear this up for me?

Thanks
Brian
Brian Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #265
Wrangler

It's all about the pixel aspect ratio. On a computer monitor it's 1.0, for digital video it's .9

720 x .9 = 648 actually. I imagine Photoshop and FCP are doing this conversion for you when you cut and paste.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #266
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

XL1 Frame mode+Black Diffusion Filter+Magic Bullet

=mud?

Has anyone seen how footage shot in frame mode on an XL1 that was softened with a Tiffen black diffusion/fx filter looks after its been run through Magic Bullet?
Old March 27th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #267
New Boot

So If I capture from an analog source at 640x480 it is the same as coming from a digital source at 720x480 because the pixels will get stretched? Also if my analog camera captures 700+ lines of resolution do all those lines just create a better looking image at 640x480 or does anything over 525 lines or so just get discarded?

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #268

1-anything over 525 lines gets lost in the translation
2-the "correct" way to import an image from Photoshop is to create the image with the pallet set to 720x480. Then save the image as 640x480 (introducing some horizontal compression distortion into the saved image)
When the image is imported, if the PAR is set to .909, everything will come out in the right proportion. Reverse the procedure for going from frame to image.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 04:04 AM   #269
Regular Crew

DV compression

Hello

Had a discussion with a friend the other day about DV compression in edit systems like FCP and Avid Xpress. I though that once your source material is recorded on DV (using the standard DV 1:5 compression), the quality of all copies will remain the same. So it doesn't matter if you make a dub of a tape or edit it in FCP and dump it back to DV tape, whatever goes back to a DV master still has the quality of the original camera tape.
My friend however stated that when you run a copy of a DV-tape (either from an edit system or tape to tape), every copy applies the 1:5 DV-compression. Hence, his pov is that when you're editing DV, it always is best to make your final online in a tape to tape suite, editing directly from the original camera tapes.
I find this hard to believe, because if the 1:5 theory is true, this would mean that second and third generation DV-copies would be of worse quality than those of VHS...which is of course not the case.
The reason for needing to know all this, is that we are doing a DV-based project, editing on several different computers but in the end mastering all that material in a Media 100-suite. I proposed to dump the edits from the different computers to DV sub-masters for finl edit in M100, and at that moment the discusion started...
Looking forward to your comments!
Thanks in advance,
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 03:19 AM   #270

DV transfers the data intact through firewire to the computer and back without alteration. You can edit all you want without recompressing the file. However if you apply effects or dissolves or something that actually CHANGES the video image then it must be rendered and recompressed. I have rendered and recompressed DV video any times over just for fun and I didn't notice much, if any, loss.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite