NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #316
Warden

I believe you will have to do all the edits manually. I don't know of a way to selectively edit only those frames with an audio tone. Perhaps an Apple Script could be written to perform that task.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #317
New Boot

Help with selecting a DVD burner

Hi,
Hoping somebody can direct me to an external dvd burner so that i can burn a movie i am making. I'w working on an Imac g3 500mhz. Also, can anybody direct me to good dvd authoring package as well that will work on my g3? thanx so muchin advance.
-kris
Kris Durkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #318
Warden

Well, you might need to upgrade your iMac first. iDVD, the simple to use, Apple DVD authoring program requires a built-in SuperDrive. It will not work with an external burner. Apple's full blown authoring program, DVD Studio Pro, only works with G4 processors. However, it does support external burners. Multiplexing, a part of the MPEG encoding process, is very processor intensive and would be very, very slow on a G3. You would also want to max out your ram. No company currently manufactures a G4 upgrade for your iMac. Newer Technology went out of business in 2001. I hate to say this, but a newer iMac might be in order.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #319
Major Player

Realtime capture cards for mac

Hi there,

Anyone have any experiences with any realtime capture cards? I was looking at the Matrox RTmac, but then it sounds like FCP 4 will be better off anyways

Any thoughts?
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #320
Warden

The Matrox RTMac is still awaiting Drivers for OS X and Beta drivers are to be used at NAB. The Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme is a new product designed for OS X and is said to be shipping in May. It also is to be shown this week at NAB. Matrox burned a great many people with RTMac and I doubt you'll hear many favorable things about their products. I would give FCP 4 a try first. If the performance isn't what you need then look into a RT card.

Old April 7th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #321
Warden

AJA Video Systems Announces IO. FCP users READ THIS

The first uncompressed firewire capture device for FCP 4 is detailed in this press release.

Old April 7th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #322
Warden

Bias announces Peak 4

Bias has announced and is showing Peak 4 at NAB this week. Take a look at it here.

Old April 7th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #323
Major Player

Which windows based NLE to use (if I have to)

Unfortunately I'll be on the roat for a bit and my notebook is windows based. What windows based NLE do users of FCP recommend? Hopefully when i get back I'll trade this thing in for a powerbook :)
Joe Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #324
Trustee

Vegas Video seems to be the the best value for money PC NLE app at the moment.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #325
Warden

I would use Avid Xpress 3.5 as it supports both windows and OS X. I think a free version will be available soon. Vegas has a free downloadable demo, I think. Premiere is also a possibility.

Old April 8th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #326
Major Player

more beginner questions

well, im getting the hang of this FPC3. I have learned how to create folders and projects. I just keep forgetting to set scratch disks, so all my b-roll is under the same project name. but, how do i get rid of my audio and video when i am thru. i would like to keep the project instructions, you know the edit points and thumbnail names, just lose the actual media so i dont clutter up my raid drive. does this make scense? anyway, maybe some one can help. thanks.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #327
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Gary,
Look under the Media Management topics in your manual and/or the online Help.

Basically, you only need to store the actual project file, which is very small. Copy that to a safe place. Then you can delete the capture and render files associated with that project. (Note where they're located from your project's Preferences settings.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #328
New Boot

quicktime audio files won't read

Hello there. I'm sorry my last name is not included in my username. I've been a member since last year and e-mailed Chris Hurd to change it today, but I still can't log on without my old handle -which is my real name , albeit middle.
I hope this won't prevent me from some much needed assistance.

I'm currently working on a project using Final Cut Pro 3 and Mac OS10.1.5. I captured about 55 gigs worth of video to separate video and audio folders. A few days ago I defragged my capture drive and everything was working fine. Yesterday, when I tried to open the project I kept getting an I/O error. If I open each individual video file, it launches into quicktime with no problem; but, if I attempt to open the audio files, quicktime doesn't recognize them. Obviously, FCP won't let me import any of the files because they're linked. But what went wrong?

I thank anybody in advance if they could give me a suggestion.
Randy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 06:48 AM   #329
Warden

You may need to run a program like Disk Warrior. Version 3 is not out yet (no OS X support) and version 2.1 only runs in OS 9.x.x, not classic. You will need start up in 9 (change start up disk in preferences) and run Disk Warrior 2.1. It is the best directory repair software. If it doesn't fix the problem, you probably have to wipe the drive and re import.

The fact that QuickTime won't open the file is not good. What program did you use to defrag your hard drive? How full was the drive when you decided to defrag? It is never a good idea to fill a drive over 80% of it's capacity. The few times I've similar issues, it's because I filled the drive (99+%).

Old April 9th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #330
New Boot

Thanks Jeff for responding. I used Tech Tool Pro 3 for defragging and yes I went up to 90% capacity on my hard drive. I guess the latter was a no-no.
Should I be capturing to separate audio/video folders? Maybe this also had something to do with my dilemma.
Randy Bank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite