NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 3rd, 2003, 01:21 PM   #181
Major Player

I would agree with Jeff and use Carbon Copy Cloner. Clone an exact BOOTABLE copy of your drive onto a firewire drive (make sure it is a bootable firewire drive) and then replace you harddrive and clone it back.
It is completely possible to install Jaguar without OS 9, (and I even prefer it). Just copying the "System Folder" does not work for OSX. There are about 45,000 (literally) hidden files that OSX needs and they do not get copied with the system folder. Carbon Copy Cloner is the ONLY way I know to copy the entire contents of your disk and still have a working volume when you are done.
Or you could just install the Jaguar disk and boot from it and start over fresh.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 06:31 PM   #182
Major Player

Thanks for the help ! i will probably go the carbon copy cloner route once i install the drive.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 06:38 PM   #183
Major Player

imac :running faster with fcp

i have a imac g3, ofcourse i have to render everything, do you know if its possible for me to get a realtime card so i dont have to render so much...Is it worth the money?
thanks for the info...

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:23 PM   #184
Warden

iMac G3's generally aren't worth the cost of upgrading. Performance gains are just marginal, at best. I would look at new equipment. A G4 will really speed up your work and rendering times are greatly improved by the altivec processor.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #185
Regular Crew

Discreet Cleaner or Sorenson Squeeze?

I would like to know the general consensus between Discreet Cleaner and Sorenson Squeeze. Seems I need to go to a "pro" compression software to do what I want....that is, put a 7 minute A/V sequence onto a CD-ROM. I've tried all of the quicktime (and FCP Movie) export options and settings and the resulting "movie" is just too big for a CD-ROM. I've been to both websites and have read about their products. I need this CD to work on both PC's and Macs, and, I want the picture to look halfway decent, not full of compression artifacts. It would also be nice if I don't have to reduce it down to postage stamp size.

Both Sorenson and Discreet cost about the same (about $450), but which has more bang for the buck? I could probably edit down to 5 or 6 minutes if I have to. Is this doable with either of these products?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

(FCP 3, QT Pro, G4 w/superdrive, 4x36 RAID, CineWave)
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #186
Wrangler

All the realtime cards I know of are PCI, as well, and none of the G3 iMacs I know of have PCI slots.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #187
Major Player

Cleaner will do many more formats and has better controls for compression. I have tried both and for the Mac, Cleaner 6 is the way to go.

Do a quick search and you will find this topic discussed in more depth around here.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #188
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mac Fonts...from a galaxy far, far away

FYI - There are some beautiful original Mac fonts available for free download at this site.

(from the same guy who designed the packaging for some of the Star Wars merchandise)
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #189
ChorizoSmells

John,
thanks for the link, downloaded some fonts, now if I could only find a site that has some cool calligraphy style Japanese kanji fonts.
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #190
Warden

Cleaner for CD, DVD etc. Squeeze for web work, in my opinion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #191
Warden

I was referring to processor upgrades. Jeff K. is correct in that no PCI solutions exist for the G3 iMac.

Old March 5th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #192

I was in the same situation you are in. I did the research, talked to folks, looked at various samples, etc.. I settled on Sorenson Squeeze 3 Compression Suite--very powerful, very flexible, many formats! Works for both web AND disc media It does a beautiful job at a price $150 less than Discreet Cleaner. Too, it's available in either Mac or PC versions. Just my two cents.

Using Squeeze 3, I compressed a 14 minute video into a file that was just under 160MB--480x360, stereo (mp-3), frame rate of 1:1 and it's flawless. I shouldn't think you'd have any problems with only 7 minutes of video.

Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #193
Regular Crew

Thanks; I appreciate the input from all of you. I think I'll try Cleaner 6 first; then Sorenson later.

Patrick
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #194
Regular Crew

FCP or FCP Express?

Hi there,

I finally got my mac and now i need to figure which editing suite to get.

I only use my Panasonic MX5000 and Canon MiniDV cameras and never plan on going to film. Will I be ok just using FCP Express? What will I miss out if I go that route?

Thanks in advance.
Felix Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #195
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Felix,
A very frequent question here. So frequent that Jeff Donald has prepared a standing thread on this topic at the top of this part of the forum. It should answer most of your questions.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite