DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 13th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #136
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Steve,
I've only tried this maneuver once and only with a short clip, so I'm not an expert on it. (It didn't really look that good, at least on my clip.)

But I think you may have to work within a primary sequence and not a nested sequence. That is, put a clip onto V1, apply d.i. to, say, the upper field. Then drop the same clip directly onto V2 and apply the d.i. to it's opposite field. Nested sequences are referentially linked. Perhaps make a scratch copy of your original sequence for the experiment.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:53 PM   #137
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Good news, there is a very simple fix/missing step: option-double click the nested sequence within the timeline to open it in the viewer as a clip (and to modify filter properties.)

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #138
Major Player

Steve
you should look into the Joes filters plugin set for FCP. it has a field blending filter which will give u the same effect but only one video track is needed no need to stack 2 tracks and deinterlace each one plus its a faster render as well and i pesonally think it looks better . Why not just shoot in frame mode on the canons and save rendering time????
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #139
Major Player

That should do it -- I'll take a look when I get back to the editing lab.

Probably a silly question, but I'm presuming that you had SAM turned-on for capture? It doesn't work after the fact.

Old February 13th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #140
Major Player

Not on that, but OS-10.2.4 is out. Now, who is going to be the first one to screw-up their current project? (Ken...?)
Old February 13th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #141
Regular Crew

yep, I always leave it on... I've even changed the default to 'sync adjust for movies over 4 mins'... doesn't seem to have any effect though... very weird indeed.
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #142
Regular Crew

i updated! but i haven't loaded my current project. if i have problems, i will report back. too wrapped up in the new survivor season at the moment! :D
Old February 13th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #143
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've only heard a few rumors (integrated 24p, more emphasis on RT) but nothing really authoritative. Jeff D. has probably heard a few tidbits. I expect it will be introduced at NAB or perhaps a bit earlier. Apple is an amazingly, and admirably, tight-lipped operation.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #144
Warden

FCP 4 was originally due in late December or January. The release has been pushed back until NAB or maybe the week before. The big rumor is Real Time Effects. By real time, I mean, effects will play from the timeline with no rendering. This will probably not work with many older machines. In fact, it may require Dual Processor 1gigs or better. But still just rumors. Enhancements for 24p(a) are a given. FCP should be able to use AE plug-ins again.

I've installed 10.2.4 and have run several old FCP 3.0.4 projects and all seems well. probably too early to say for sure. I quickly visited Apples FCP discussions and no one was complaining.

I've noticed an overall speed increase in my system (but I'm running an older machine, Dual 450). It has improved some printing problems I had. I'm going to try some different captures with my XL1 this weekend and see if there are any problems. I mention this because the FireWire drivers in Jaguar have not been as robust as prior versions of OS X or OS 9.x.x FireWire improvements are specifically mentioned in this update.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #145
Regular Crew

iDVD 2 Question

Hello all,

Does anyone know where the stock motion
menu graphics and audio clips reside on the
hard drive in iDVD 2? The audio clips are WAY
too loud, and I was thinking of importing the file
into FCP, adjusting to the audio levels of my
project and then dropping the file back into the
DVD project.

I would compose and record my own menu
music, but since I moved, I haven't gotten the
studio set up yet.

I'm using 10.2 and FCP 3.0.4.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #146
Regular Crew

- Right/Control Click on iDVD and select Show Package Contents
- Open Contents folder then Resources
- Right/Control Click on a theme file (.theme file) and select Show Package Contents
- Open Contents folder then Resources
- Aiff file inside
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #147
Regular Crew

Simon,

Thanks!! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #148
Regular Crew

exporting a frame as a still

I'm sure this question has been dealt with before, but I didn't turn up an answer in a quick search. I've exported a single frame, as per the FCP3 manual instructions, but the result, rendered as 720 x480, looks a bit squashed. Am I right in thinking that the 4:3 aspect ratio of the original would be duplicated by 720 x 540, and is that the reason for the squashed look? If so, why is the export done this way, and is there anything I can do to correct it? If I import the still into iDVD, for instance, it comes in letterboxed, having been now reset into a 4:3 frame. Of course, there's always the possibility I'm just doing it all wrong . . .

Thanks for any help,
Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #149
Warden

How you treat your FCP still file depends on what your final destination is and what you need to do to the file (adjust brightness, contrast, sharpness etc.) and what software you're using. The problem comes from some programs or formats using rectangular pixels vs. other using square pixels. Do you have Photoshop? If not get it. It is the standard for image manipulation and all tutorials are based on using Photoshop.

You basically need to resize the image (remember, Photoshop and computers use square pixels) to eliminate the stretched look. The image needs to be changed to 720 pixels wide by 534 pixels high, resolution 72 dpi. The basic multiplier works out to be around 1.11 (480 x 1.11) or .9 for the reverse (534 x .9). Photoshop allows you to resize it exactly the way you want (Image>Image size>change dimensions). You will need to uncheck Constrain Proportions then set to show pixels. Input your adjustments and make sure the dpi is 72.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #150
RED Code Chef

Some more information etc. can be found in this thread and this one.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite