NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #16
Warden

Apple Keynote http://www.apple.com/keynote/ is Powerpoint compatable. You might also try the Office test drive. I think it works for 30 days. I don't know if it will import or save though.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #17
Major Player

FCP Audio Question

Hey Guy's,

Is there any way to tone down the hollow quality of sound from a speaker in an auditorium? I also have Peak DV 3.0. I've played around with some of the audio filters but didn't get anything that was an improvement. The sound isn't too bad, but it would be nice to clean it up a bit.

Thanks, Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #18
Regular Crew

This isn't very sophisticated, but it did work for me when I had to do the same thing. I exported the individual pages from PowerPoint as JPEG images on the PC and then imported them individually into FCP. You won't be able to capture transitions or animations that way, but you can get the static pages.

Of course, I didn't have Keynote at the time...

Mic
Old January 14th, 2003, 01:42 AM   #19
Wrangler

I just did this recently, laying powerpoint slides over shots of the screen in a video someone shot of a conference. PowerPoint can save as PNG's, which are lossless, so I just exported everything to correctly sized PNGs and then imported the directory into FCP3. I had one powerpoint file that wouldn't open on my Mac, so I ended up opening it in Office XP on my Windows machine, and it had the same sort of export options. (Though not as clean.) Worked just peachy.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #20
Regular Crew

My FCE software arrived

Today the FedEx truck dropped off my copy of Final Cut Express.

I was a little disappointed when I opened the box to learn that it doesn't come with a user's manual. That seems to be a trend these days . . .same thing when I bought Microsoft Word X. Luckily I have Lisa Brenneis' book on Final Cut Pro 3 which should help me out somewhat.

One thing that caught my eye was the set of "Final Cut Pro Keyboard Shortcut Labels" that came in the box. I'm guessing this means you could use a FCP keyboard with this software.

I think I'm the target demo that Apple was looking for. A serious hobbyist that needs more than iMovie, shoots only in DV and isn't ready to spend a grand on FCP.

I've got a lot to learn, but so far I like it. I'll keep you all posted.
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:23 AM   #21
Major Player

Jeff when you say 'correctly sized' are you saying i need to go slide by slide in photoshop or something and resize the image?
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

No user manual! You've got to be kidding me. I sometimes feel like wanting to form an alliance, M.A.N.U.M (members against no user manuals).

It does take the p*ss. The behemoth that is Offixe X has no manual which really annoyed me.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #23
Warden

The manual is on you computer in the help section. You can search it, read it or print it yourself. Manuals come with a few more features and cost $700 more (Full version FCP).

Jeffh
Old January 15th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #24
Major Player

L1 if you go to apple.com, then go to support. Then go to the discussion page and click on final cut, then final cut express, there is some stuff about FCE crashing. You might want to read that thread. Apple said they are working on a fix right now. Just in case you have the same problem alot of other people are having they do tell you how to get around it. I think I'll wait another week or so before I order mine. Good luck and keep us posted.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #25
Major Player

Final Cut Express 1.0: Unexpectedly Quits While Opening
Article ID:
Created:
Modified: 61859
1/15/03
1/15/03
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOPIC

Final Cut Express can unexpectedly quit when opening if effects windows are open in icon view.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSSION

Symptom

When you try to open Final Cut Express, an alert with this message appears:

"The application Final Cut Express has unexpectedly quit."

Products affected

* Final Cut Express 1.0

Solution

Delete the Final Cut Express 1.0 Prefs file so that the application can open normally. The file is located at the following path in your
home folder: ~/Library/Preferences/Final Cut Express User Data/Final Cut Express 1.0 Prefs

The application should now open and work normally.

To prevent the issue from happening again, either switch to list view (choose View > Browser Items > As List) or avoid leaving effects windows open when quitting.

Note: This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #26
Wrangler

In both versions of Powerpoint I used they had the ability to export at a certain resolution and I had it export at DV full frame (720x480?) since I was editing for streaming. I ended up dumping a copy to tape because the original editor's Media100 setup died and the client needed copies, and there was some clipping from the full DV frame to the TV viewable area. If you're planning on going straight to tape, you could probably export them at 640x480 and that would give you enough space. I figured telling Powerpoint what resolution I was going to need them at would result in truer files than if I tried to shrink them down in Photoshop. Your mileage may vary, though, especially if the powerpoint files have large images in them.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #27
New Boot

powermac g4 and IDE drives

I am a PC user that is thinking of switching.

I am looking at a G4 tower with dual 867mbs, 512MB RAM, a super drive, etc. [+FCP]

My question is, Apple wants ~$400 for an extra 120gig IDE drive, Can't I just buy one off the shelf and install it??? I could almost get three 120gig drive for that amount...

Thanks
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:11 AM   #28
Trustee

Drives are pretty much dual platform friendly, especially if you stick with well known brands like IBM, Western Digital, Seagate or Maxtor.

As for installing them yourself, it's a pretty straight forward operation but not one you would undertake if you don't know what you are doing. Any computer is an expensive machine (especially a Mac) and the last thing you want to do is trash it.

Ordering the extra drives, and RAM to for that matter from Apple is bloody pricey, your better off getting the basic machine form Apple and then fitting the extras yourself or getting someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #29
Warden

The only advantage to the Apple Factory installed drives and memory is that they can be covered under the 3 year Apple Care Extended Warranty. Many Apple users purchase the plan for the protection and peace of mind it provides.

Jeff
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #30
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : The only advantage to the Apple Factory installed drives and memory is that they can be covered under the 3 year Apple Care Extended Warranty. Many Apple users purchase the plan for the protection and peace of mind it provides.

Jeff -->>>

Thanks for the responses. Other issues have just about convinced me to stick with PCs. I know them and I am very familiar with Premiere. Whatever I do, I know my way around computers and can install and configure practically any PC device.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite