DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 14th, 2003, 03:25 AM   #1456
Regular Crew

Quick Help Appreciated - FCP3 Chapter Markers -> iDVD

Hey everyone,

Brief: iDVD isn't seeing chapter markers from FCP3.

Quickly trying to burn a DVD of a family vacation I slapped together of last year's holidays for this year's holidays. First project I've completed with FCP3 and I'm just trying to send it through iDVD (not DVDSP 1.5) because I need it ready tomorrow (today, Sunday evening) and I don't have time to design my own menus with DVDSP.

Having said that, before I exported as a Quicktime movie, I set chapter markers using the playhead in the timeline. Hitting "m" then "command-option-m" and checking "Add Chapter Marker" and "Add Compression Marker." A little green marker would show on the bottom edge of the timeline (as opposed to the markers that show up on the actually footage in the timeline - what is the difference between the two?). I made about 7 then exported as a quicktime movie.

iDVD: I started a project, dragged the .mov in there but no scene selection menu is created. And when I "preview," and try to click through to another chapter, it just goes to black/ends.

Am I not setting the chapter markers properly in FCP3? Am I not toggling something in iDVD? Any comments would be appreciated. Though I'll give this 13 minute film to them without chapter markers, I'd prefer to get them in there....

Joshua
Joshua Kopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #1457
Warden

I'm not a big iDVD user, but I think you have to export a referenced FCP file and not a QuickTime. I think the conversion to QT strips the markers.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #1458
Warden

They are supposed to be available through Software Update via System Preference. If apps that need to be updated are recognized, the correct files will be seen as available for install or download. Use the download option. Do not update over the internet.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 11:45 AM   #1459
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ah, I discovered what I believe Andrew actually means. There is a 1.9Mb single update titled something "Pro Apps" that's out there now. I ran it on my PowerBook. No apparent change. The update appears to be basically some sort of internal patch. (Apple's beginning to look more like Microsoft's perpetual patch factory.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #1460
Regular Crew

You're a genius.

God bless you. Outputting it as a Final Cut Movie with chapter markers made the difference.

Problem solved.

Joshua
Joshua Kopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:29 PM   #1461
Major Player

Please help- is there a way...

Hi,
If you have iMovie 3.0.3 it's very easy. On the right side you have an button called photos. these are photos from the photo library of iPhoto , which you can usevery easily in iMovie 3.

I believe you can export from photoshop to iPhoto or to iPhoto imoprt from photoshop.
good luck
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #1462
Major Player

Not in front of my mac at the moment, but I seem to remember having had trouble with iMoive not recognizing a file format after scanning a photo (specific to my scanning program). Check to make sure your photos are in a supported format (usually jpg is a good bet.) Good luck...

Clay
Old December 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #1463
Major Player

good to know

I have an older release of Imovie. But I'm thinking of buying the new updata of osx. I did find a way to get the pictures I needed into the project.

Thanks
MG
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:36 AM   #1464
MPS Digital Studios

What's better, AJA or Decklink?

I'm pricing an HD system for my next film, and I'm looking at both AJA and Decklink. (Pinnacle is out of the question, due to my experiences with various cards.)

What's better? AJA is top knotch, but I've never used Decklink (it's also a lot cheaper than AJA).

AJA

Decklink

Anyone?

heath
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #1465
Tourist

Best external hd to use with gl2 and a mac?

I just bought a new gl2 and am wondering if you guys have any recommendations on an external hd? I have a newer imac and imagine I will want an external hd soon, so I might as well buy one now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #1466
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Congratulations on your new GL2, Dave!

There is really no "best" external drive. There are many brands and models out there.

Personally, I use drives from Wiebetech. Reliable, great customer service, wide line. I especially like the bus-powered models since they are completely powered by your Mac's Firewire bus and require no wall-wart power converters.

They are having a sale on selected models until year-end.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #1467
Major Player

Try <www.smalldog.com>
I bought a demo model dual 1 gig and it works great, and at a reduced price. I watched their website for a few weeks before I saw the G4 go on sale.

One word of advice- buy as much and as fast a computer as you possibly can. I suped mine up to 1 gig ram- and it was inexpensive compared to other macs I've had. I then bought extra hard drive space.

Good luck!

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #1468

Repair scratches on iPod or iBook

Pretty neat.
http://www.ipodcleaner.com

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #1469
Contributor

I've also seen a lot of good reviews for this one as well:
http://www.radtech.us/icecreme.html
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #1470
Inner Circle

The ones that use the oxford 911 bridge chipset are better than others I believe.

Larger drives are typically faster (which might reduce problems). And the extra space is always handy.

Be aware that some people have problems using firewire drives (dropped frames on capture and export). The workaround is capturing and exporting from an internal drive.

barefeats has some benchmarks on which firewire drives are faster. example: http://www.barefeats.com/fire29.html The numbers there are pretty high and not for real life situations. In practice you need a lot of headroom to capture DV without dropped frames. DV is 3.6MB/s, which is a lot lower than benchmark numbers. Yet some people have problems with firewire drives. So you need to take benchmarks with a grain of salt.

What you can do is to just buy a FW drive and refund it if it doesn't work (watch out for restocking fees!). Make sure you fill up the drive because some people report that the drive becomes problematic as it gets fuller.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite