NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 96 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 8th, 2003, 12:10 AM   #1426
Regular Crew

When Apple upgrades the OS, they always make sure that each and every developer has to upgrade all of their apps to work correctly with it. This is especially true of disk repair apps that have the OS built into them so they can boot from the CD. Norton will have to release a new version and you'll probably have to pay an upgarde fee I am guessing.

It should be OK to defrag the drives, just don't run Disk Doctor. I'd recommend against Disk Doctor on a general basis anyway as I always hear tons of horror stories abou it in both the Mac and PC world.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #1427
Warden

Norton is only a shadow of the product and company it used to be. I would caution against using Norton products with Macs. Unix disks, in general, do not need defraging. If you fear directory issues I recommend Disk Warrior and it's suite of tools. Disk Warrior no longer contains PlusOptimizer because it really isn't needed in OS X.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #1428
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Same goes for their internet security software...can't remember the name. It was causing all Flash files to be blocked in Safari for some reason...so I trashed it.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #1429
Regular Crew

Quote:
Jeff Donald wrote:
Unix disks, in general, do not need defraging.
Is this true of HFS+ formatted discs, or just UNIX File System disks? Why does it not need to be defragged? How does it write to the disk in a linear fashion each and every time? Does the OS 9 portion of an OS X installation get fragmented?

Viewed graphically in DiskWarrior's PlusOptimizer, it does indeed seem that OS X drives become quite fragmented.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #1430
Inner Circle

If your drive only stores video files you likely will not need to defrag it. Fragmentation is caused by files that are constantly created and deleted and files that shrink or grow.

If you have lots of space on your system drive (more than 15% free) then don't bother with defragging.

2- A very quick way to defragment a drive is to erase everything on it. After you delete everything there's no point in defragging.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #1431
Regular Crew

g4 shopping?

I wantr to purchase a apple mac g4 for edting purposesand I would like to know how much gig/mega bytes and other specs,I should be looking for when shopping-More then likely I'm buying a used one also.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #1432
Warden

Can you provide a little more details as to what software you want to use and what your primary use of the computer will be? If your doing this as part of a business, get the fastest, biggest etc. etc. because time is money. I prefer the dual processors over singles for work in FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #1433
Regular Crew

yes

Yes, this is definetly for business purposes--I will be using fcp(learning slowly) and my budget is kind of restricted, can I still get something affordable-I really just need the tower--flat screen not neccesary yet-budget is like $650 & up
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #1434
Wrangler

Hmm, $650 is pretty limited... I'm using FCP3 on a 1.25 ghz single G4 with 1280MB RAM and it runs very nicely. But it also ran quite acceptably on my 733 mhz single with 768MB RAM and even on a 667 mhz PowerBook G4 with 512 MB RAM. Not sure how FCP 4 would work on any of these however.

I think the 1 ghz eMacs are going for about $800 new, that might not be a bad choice on a tight budget, but of course very limited expansion possibilities. You should also plan on getting a second hard drive for video, either firewire or internal, it's a bad idea to use the system drive for your files.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #1435
Warden

eMacs are a bad choice for FCP in my opinion. I would try to get something in the Dual 1GHz range with 1GB of ram or more. These are newer machines and would be serviceable for several years (probably). I would really urge you to wait until after MacWorld SF (first week of January) and the new G5's are introduced. The older models will get a good discount and a lot of G4's will end up being sold (probably cheap). If you can hold out until January or February, you'll get a lot more computer for your money.

Old December 9th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #1436
Major Player

Please help- Is there a way to...

Move files from photoshop , or iphoto into a project on imovie?
I am doing a presentation on WWII and iit would be very helpful if I could just move picture directly into imovie.

Thanks
Michael gibbons
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #1437
Inner Circle

Dual processors are nice to have. The 2nd processor adds about 70% extra rendering speed (you can spend a lot of time rendering :( ).

RAM you need at least 512MB. 1GB is preferable.

The G4 towers are nice because:
A- you can use internal drives (cheaper, faster) instead of firewire
B- they can have dual processors
C- you can use dual monitors with most of them. dual monitors give you a lot more room to work with and are cheaper than a single, larger monitor.

I wouldn't really wait to buy a used Mac because prices are always coming down. With new Macs you should sometimes wait if you know a price drop is *right* around the corner.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #1438
Regular Crew

I-Move 2 download?

Does any one know were I can find a free download of I-Move2?

Thanks
Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #1439
Regular Crew

Not sure where you can get iMovie 2 anymore, but you can download iMovie 3 at http://www.apple.com/imovie/download/
Chris Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #1440
Tourist

DSR-11 and Firewire

We are a community access media center running IMovie and FCP on IMacs.

We have recently started seeing problems with 2 of our DSR-11s that when they are plugged into the IMacs, the external Firewire hard drives become unavailable.

In all other respects the systems work normally.
When you power down the DSR, the Firewire hard drives become available again.
This is now occurring on 2 of 6 drives.
4 other DSR-11s, and other DSR-2x/4x work fine and do not exhibit the problem.

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks,

Todd Thayer
Executive Director
CAPS-TV
Todd Thayer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite