NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 20th, 2003, 01:58 PM   #1486
Regular Crew

How to Hook Up an NTSC Monitor for use with FCP?

How is it made possible to use an NTSC viewing monitor with Final Cut Pro?

Thanks,

C. Cook
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #1487
Regular Crew

FCP Beginner Question - Importing Audio/Playing Back

Getting my feet wet here. I'm new to FCP but not new to Video & Audio. I've tried everything I could think of and I haven't had good results.

When I import an mp3 into the timeline all I hear during playback is "beep beep beep". Yes I know this means it's not rendered yet. But I never had to render audio in other programs before playback like in Vegas or Premiere.

I rendered the audio and now the music is very chopping. Does this have to with the sampling rate? and conversion quality? If so, will FC convert the sampleing rate just in the timeline temporaly so I can hear the audio right?

Does the imorted Audio need to match the project sampling rate to play correctly? Or is there a converter?

I give up!
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #1488
Warden

Hi Mark,

Do a search this topic has been covered before. Export the mp3 through QuickTime and change it to an AIFF file. Also give it the properties of your sequence (48KHz?) Then import it into FCP and it should play without rendering.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #1489
Wrangler

Lots of ways:

1. Choose firewire for external video, plug into your camcorder and plug your monitor into the camcorder via either s-video (better) or RCA plugs

2. Choose firewire for external video, and use a DV deck, converter box or a DVD recorder with a monitor connected to it with either component (best), s-video (better) or RCA

3. Use either a second video card, a dual-headed card, the VGA or s-video out on a powerbook and choose it as your external video source.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 11:31 PM   #1490
Regular Crew

Problem Solved. Thank you
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:15 AM   #1491
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

FCP4: Moving audio and video independently

With FCP 3 I was able to move audio and video tracks independently along the timeline...meaning when I clicked on a video track, its audio track didn't highlight as well and vice-versa. I've been trying to do the same thing with version 4 now but can't figure out how to set it to do that.

Any help out there?
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:20 AM   #1492
Major Player

There is a sync or lock button hidden in one of the menu's. Where I can't say casue I just work up, but its there and you can.

I will follow up a little latter for ya.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:27 AM   #1493

Aaron,

Found it. Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:40 PM   #1494
Regular Crew

Should just be a button on the upper right corner next to the timeline, right? Right next to the SNAPPING button.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:48 PM   #1495

Ted,

I found it through the menu, but looks like you're right. I need to sit down and do some serious updating for version 4. There are quite a few new gizmos that I'm not sure about.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:49 PM   #1496
Regular Crew

Weird startup

At work a coworker (OS X 10.2.8, G4 at a speed unkown to me) was cursin' and throwin' fits at his machine as he tried to get it to capture footage. I of course pointed and laughed at him. He rebooted and it was taking a very long time to boot. A few minutes later he blurted out "I thought Macs were supposed to boot fast!". I looked at his screen so I could laugh at him some more, but I saw something I had never seen before: A gray screen with the "fan blades" and above that was a dark grey circle with a slash through it (like the red circle/slash in those No Smoking signs). We hard rebooted again and it booted up just fine. Anyone have an idea what that screen is or means? I know it flashes a question mark when it can't find a startup drive.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 11:17 PM   #1497
Warden

It might have been an Open Firmware screen. I'm not sure.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:00 PM   #1498
Regular Crew

importing

We shot a feature film with Panasonic Ag-DVX 100 and are going to edit in Final Cut Pro 4.0. This is my first time really using Final Cut.

My question is, what are the ideal settings to import, if my ultimate plans are to press a DVD.

Do I need to have a 24p timeline, or is the footage already downconverted and I should use a 30 timeline.

I've read a multitude of boards trying to figure out the answers but it seems everyone has different suggestions.

thanks
clark
Clark Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:21 PM   #1499
Inner Circle

It depends what mode you shot your footage in...

If you shot in 24fps, then edit in 24fps. If you shot 30fps, then edit normally using the canned settings (should be something like NTSC 48khz [super]white).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:25 PM   #1500
Regular Crew

24p

should have said:
I shot 24p standard (not advanced)

i heard that even when you shoot 24p standard it does a downconvert while recording and you ultimately edit in 30i anyways. is this wrong?

thanks
clark

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : It depends what mode you shot your footage in...

If you shot in 24fps, then edit in 24fps. If you shot 30fps, then edit normally using the canned settings (should be something like NTSC 48khz [super]white). -->>>
Clark Kline is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite