NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 14th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #1351

The best way to keep the Manual for DVD Studio Pro is when you launch DVD SP go to the right of the title bar and draw down and launch DVD Studio Pro help it's a .PDF file from there go the "Edit" and draw down there and save it as a PDF file from there you can use it without being in the application and it's great to take on the road for learning on those long drives to the shoot.
Old November 15th, 2003, 01:25 AM   #1352
Regular Crew

DVD to FCP 4

I want to be able to transfer (RIP) 10 minutes from a DVD movie I recently bought to FCP4 so I can manipulate it and edit it as I like. It is not for commercial use but for my own enjoyment. How can I do that? Any help is appreciated. I have FCP4.0.2 & OSX 10.2.6 & DVD Studio Pro 2.0.0
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #1353
New Boot

Thanks Jeff. I was afraid of that. Now, could you explain that to my wife? I hope I can at least get an upgrade from Apple. Thanks again.
Kevin Beswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #1354
Regular Crew

VHS-C to FCP solution

I have a JVC S-VHS VCR connected to my JVC GRD70 camcorder with an S-video cable and the camcorder's a/v cable (with just the audio connections hooked up to the VCR). The camcorder is connected to my Mac with firewire. Another firewire cable connects my external hard drive.

To capture video in Final Cut Pro, set your external video to uncontrolled, hit play on the VHS deck, and hit Capture Now in FCP.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #1355
Major Player

Well, it seems the speed is not an issue, I can just reduce to 96% and turn frame blending off, but the the problem now is resizing. I thought it was doing it correctly, but FCP4 is just squishing the PAL image into the NTSC frame. I want to correctly resize the PAL 4:3 image into the NTSC 4:3 image, taking into consideration pixel aspect ratio. Anyone know how to do this?
Juan P. Pertierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #1356
Regular Crew

Hum Removal in FCP 3??

There is a noticable hum in the audio of my project & I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to remove it; maybe by using one of FCP's filters? I'm stuck.
Thanks
Erik
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #1357
Major Player

Erik,

Is it there after you render? I was having the same problem, but it was my amp and a loose connection - one of the plugs not plugged all the way in causing the hum. Check those if you are using an amp. If not, you might be able to adjust levels in the mixer (turn down the bass) to get rid of a little of it....I don't know about the filters????
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:24 PM   #1358
Inner Circle

Use 2-3 FCP hum removers or parametric equalizers.
Set one to 60, the 2nd to 120 and if needed, the third to 180 Hz.
Set the Q as high as possible. Set the gain to as negative as possible.

Honestly, I don't use FCP, nor do I have a Mac. However, I coded
all of the audio signal processing filters for the early release of FCP in 1998/99. Hum removal tools are there in some form, although the parameter names may have changed.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #1359
Inner Circle

There are several common "hums". One is due to electrical grounding problems (aka ground loop hum) when connecting audio to the camera. Another is camera whir. Others are from ventilation noise. I described how to remove the 60 Hz hum from your audio. Since other hums have unspecified frequencies,
you have to use a spectral analysis tool to identify the prominent frequencies of the hum. Although I don't know of the latest Mac tools for this analysis, CoolEdit Pro and Sound Forge on Windows PCs do the job well. If you can at least export a few seconds of your audio (preferably isolated to make the peak analysis obvious) to a PC, you can use that computer to identify the frequencies in the hum.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:22 AM   #1360
Warden

New 20 Inch iMac announced

Apple has introduced a 20 inch iMac with a 1.25 GHz G4 processor and the velocity engine. The details are on Apple's site here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #1361
Regular Crew

Is FCP 4 the same program world wide?

Does anybody know if the Final Cut Pro sold in the States is different in any way from the one sold in Europe as I'm considering buying it in the US as it is considerably cheaper because of the the Euro's strength. Is there a Pal/ NTSC problem ? Thanks
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #1362
Regular Crew

Jeff,

Do you think this LCD display is the same one used in the the 20" Cinema Display?
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #1363
Warden

I doubt it, the costs don't really add up. I don't think they have the same resolution. I'll look and compare once they start appearing in the stores.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #1364
Warden

They are the same.

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:01 AM   #1365
Regular Crew

Firewire data refuses to output

For no reason that I can discern, my G4 has decided to stop outputting firewire data. Or at least Final Cut Pro 4 has. I have tested with multiple devices, and they all capture fine, but data in FCP can not be seen or heard over any firewire connections, no matter what I do. Nothing has changed on my computer since an hour ago when it worked fine and dandy. The only "incident" would be that I turned off a video camera that was hooked up to the firewire port while FCP was on the timeline. I'm pretty sure FCP is more robust than that, so I don't think that would have an effect. I rebooted, repaired permissions and even fed my cat. Nothing seemed to make any difference.

What are some areas I should check? I checked all of the FCP prefs and nothing has changed.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite