Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 27th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #1231
Regular Crew

rough edges in FCP titles

Hello

I'm having a problem that I've seen a lot of discussion on, both on this and other boards: titles in FCP look fine until rendered, then a lots of rough edges appear (both on desktop and external video monitor).

I've been playing around with render settings, the effect settings (font Helvetica, outline text, opacity 90%, changing edge values etc etc) even made my titles in after effects, but the problem remained. I then figured out that even if AE titles have this problem, it must have to do with the way FCP renders these files and then found that the only thing that seems to improve the rendered titles is changing the compression settings of the entire sequence from DV PAL to uncompressed! Obviously, this is not my favorite option because it'll mean I have to render the entire sequence before mastering to tape!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

FCP 4, G4 Powerbook 1 Ghz, 1 GB memory

Michiel van der Zeeuw
Amsterdam, NL
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1232
Regular Crew

PS Boris Calliigrahpy also doesn't solve the problem
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #1233
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Michiel,

I had the same problem until I bought the "Text Collection" plugin from http://www.chv-plugins.com. It creates beautiful text (but the render times can be pretty long).

One word of warning...this plugin has been updated for FCP 4 but is still buggy. You might want to wait a bit longer, if you think you might want to buy it.
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #1234
Regular Crew

Did 10.3 Panther fix everything?

10.3 promised to fix a bunch of issues. Did it? I haven't heard from anybody using it on this forum yet except "Be careful you don't cripple everything when you install" default folder buzz. Did 10.3 make the G5's run like a dream? How does Final Cut Pro 4 work with 10.3? Did 10.3 fix Quicktime 6.4? Does 10.3 make regular G4's faster?

10.3 looks awesome but I want to know how it performs in real life. Of course Apple will say it's great. Maybe I should wait for 10.5 because it will be way better anyway. :)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #1235
Warden

The school I teach at nor I, have G5's so I can't help there. But the 3 G4's I've installed on all seem snappier. By that I mean windows open faster, redraws seem faster. Feels like when you get your car tuned up. It feels faster. The most noticeable improvement is on my wife's G4 iMac (flat screen).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #1236
MPS Digital Studios

Will FCP 3 run on Panther?

Will Final Cut Pro 3 run on Panther? I have a G5, but I'm awaiting my $20 Panther upgrade. Any idea if it will run FCP 3?

heath
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #1237
MPS Digital Studios

Called an Apple store and got this:

Just an FYI to us FCP 3 users awaiting Panther to come in the mail (or just me). No need to upgrade to FCP 4 to enjoy it!

heath
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #1238
Wrangler

This sounds good Heath. My copy arrived, but is still sitting in its Fedex envelope while I muster up the courage to install! ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #1239
MPS Digital Studios

I keep hearing there are certain ways to install it. For some unknown reason, I can't seem to find my original G5 install disks. I hope my roommate (or I) didn't lose them...

heath
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #1240
Regular Crew

I have opened FCP 3.0.4 in Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) with the latest QuickTime 6.4 update and it seems to be working fine. I, needless to say, have not completed a project in it (currently using FCP 4.0.2) but initial tests seem positive.

Oh, and my old QPS 80GB Firewire drive is still a piece of crap after the Panther installation, but it is a working piece of crap. I did follow the rule of ejecting and disconnecting my Firewire drive before Upgrading to Panther. I normally do a clean install, but was feeling adventerous/lucky/lazy and seem to have gotten away with it.

So far...
Duane Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:21 AM   #1241
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

OSX pre-order info

I'm about to send some cash to my sister in the States so she can pick up the new OSX system, but before I send it, I wondered if anyone can tell me if the "i" programs are included in that (iMovie, iPhoto, etc.)...or whether I need to also get the iLife CD for those?

Also, is it worth it to get iLife? Are there lots of extra templates and stuff on the CD that you don't get with the downloaded versions? If you don't get any extras, or the ones you get are lame, I'll just forget it and use the download versions.
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #1242
Major Player

I just installed the Panther upgrade and all the iLife stuff was upgraded/installed.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #1243
Warden

iDVD is not included. It would be only on the iLife disk and not Panther. John, if your sister has kids you may want to remind her of the education discount. I got my copy of Panther for $70.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:32 AM   #1244
RED Problem Solver

Film Effects for FCP

I've just released Film Effects for FCP, a 24p (3:2 pulldown)/ 25p plugin set with lots of film presets, all manner of options for changing the frame rate, intelligent DV chroma-upsampler, smart de-interlacer etc.
You can read more on my web site

www.nattress.com

Thanks,

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #1245
Major Player

oops

Jeff is quite right -- my mistake.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite