DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 10th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #1156
Regular Crew

what kind of glitches?

There could be any number of reasons for this, depending on what kind of glitches for a start. Do you mean dropped frames? Or intermittent drop-out-like "specks" in the frame (the latter problem I fixed a while ago by taking out some third-party RAM).

Tell us more.
Denis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #1157
Regular Crew

Analog audio mixer and Final Cut pro...

I am referring to the new FCP add inside the latest issues of Macworld and Mac Addict magazines. There is an intergrated analog Mackie mixer in the system. How and why would one use an analog mixer with Final Cut pro?
Paul Figgiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #1158
Regular Crew

Hardware Test CD

Just for giggles, I decided to try and run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with my Mac. It started booting and said something about a memory error, went into Open Firmware and I had to type "shut-down". This happened both times I tried. I know the RAM is good (at least I think so). The only thing I can think of is that the RAM sticks aren't in slots 1 and 2, they are in slots 2 and 3 (I removed the one from slot 1 during troubleshooting one time and it is insanely difficult to insert anything in that particular slot, so it went to slot 2). Would this confuse the Hardware Test Disc?

Any other ideas? I'm not too worried since the machine is running fine.

PS - My Mac is a dual G4 with 2 sticks of the same brand of 512MB DDR RAM. Machine is the "Mirrored Drive Door". OS is 10.2.8, which I hear screws up fsck -you
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #1159
Warden

The Apple Hardware Test CD is only for the specific computer it came with. Did the CD come with the machine you're testing it on? If so, it is probably a Ram issue. It probably looks at slot one and not finding any Ram, aborts the test.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #1160
Inner Circle

A mixer is nice because you don't have to mess around with wiring once you set it up. It's a convenience if you have multiple inputs (i.e. voice-over mic, DAT machine, MD recorder) or multiple outputs (good speakers for editing, a pair of crappy speakers to double check your sound, headphones, etc.). It will compensate for different kinds of inputs and outputs so you don't need amps or pads/attenuators and adapters. It's useful when doing voice-over work since you can hook headphones up and immediately hear any mistakes (i.e. your mouth is too dry).

In most cases you can get the same things done by moving wires around.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #1161
Regular Crew

OS upgrade for DVD SP2

My equipment is G4-TiPB-1GHz / OS 10.2.2 / 1024 MB RAM / FCP 3.0.4

I want to upgrade my OS so I can install and run DVD Studio Pro 2 (min. 10.2.6). My goals are simplicity and stability. I'd appreciate suggestions on an OS upgrade choice.

Thanks.
Old October 12th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #1162
Regular Crew

I use DP800, OS 10.2.6 770MB ram and FCP 4 DVDSP2 and all works fine so I'm not gonna upgrade again for a while at least. perhaps after Panther has proven itself.
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:47 PM   #1163
Contributor

Making Divx... MPEG4?

I am working on a project which involves handing the client a finished version of a 15 minute clip on CD. MPEG1 looks so horrible and MPEG2 hogs bandwidth, so I would like to give the guy a better looking clip compressed with a more modern codec. I like the quality/bandwidth ratio of Divx and the tools are freely available and have been tested on my Mac. but I would like to adhere to the MPEG4 standard, so what he get's will be playable for years to come on standards-based platforms. I can use FFmpegX to make a very good looking Divx AVI file that will play on many Wintel. Linux and OS X machines with the right software, but it is not really MPEG4. Or I can use Apple's MPEG4 encoder included in QuickTime which is not as good, to make a file that is more standards-based but does not have the great quality/bandwidth ratio of Divx. So my question is... is there a way to take the great looking Divx data encoded with FFmpegX and put it, without recompressing the video, into an MPEG4 standards-based file?

This is similar to the problem some poeple seem to have with WM9, right? Microsoft uses the MPEG4 standard in it's own way, takes all the great ISO work and puts it into a file format that will only play with a program that says 'Microsoft', just so it is not QuickTime compatible. Duh.
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #1164
Inner Circle

Why not use mini-DV tape? It's about the highest quality master you can get (depending on what you started with).
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #1165
Contributor

> Why not use mini-DV tape? It's about the highest quality master
> can get (depending on what you started with).

Oh I will. He will get the master too. But video on a CD is so convenient, he can post it on a web site, copy it to another CD... it's becoming the new VHS.

I have actually been getting paid to copy VHS stuff to Divx :-)
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #1166
Major Player

Vegas For The Mac?

Does anyone know if Sony plans to make Vegas for the mac?
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #1167
Major Player

iDVD vrs DVD Studio Pro

Can anybody tell me the differences between the two programs? Is DVD Studio pro worth the extra money if you have iDVD?
G. Lee Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:05 AM   #1168
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

DVD SP is a far more powerful and sophisticated authoring application. The current version (2.0) offers many of the "canned" features that make iDVD so enjoyable to use. But it also enables you to access all of the features of the DVD authoring specification (ex: 5.1 sound, multiple subtitling, multiple audio tracks, etc.).

If you only plan to build basic DVD's with fairly simple menus and single audio tracks iDVD will fill the bill nicely. If you plan to become a professional DVD author you'll need DVD SP.

See the Apple site for more information.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #1169
Inner Circle

If iDVD is not buggy for you then it could be a great choice. However, many people run into bugs with it.

It depends on what you want to do though. DVD SP will give you better results if your videos are over an hour. You can also get fancier menus with it.
Old October 15th, 2003, 10:11 AM   #1170
Warden

I use DVD SP for my clients. My wife uses iDVD, but most of her programs are only 10 to 20 minutes. Glen is correct that the quality is lower on programs over an hour. iDVD doesn't give you much choice as far as compression of the original material for MPEG 2. DVD SP is much more flexible in almost all user settings. What type of work do you hope to do?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite