DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 20th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #1051
Inner Circle

Audio levels for VHS

For outputting to VHS, what should I let the levels peak at in Final Cut? Can I go to 0?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #1052
Regular Crew

You can go to zero, but try to make sure it is only for peaks. If you don't hear any distortion, it should be fine for VHS, as long as you are recording in "Hi-Fi". The linear track will add noise and the levels will be somewhat decreased but shouldn't distort at these same volume levels.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #1053
Inner Circle

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #1054
New Boot

wedding video capture

hey,

i am editing a wedding video with FCP 4, and i was curious as to what to do about capture. The ceremony is 45 minutes long, and i was wondering if it is better if i just capture the WHOLE thing as one clip or would it be better to capture it in segments, sync up the segments and then export it for DVD? Does the Mac have a file size limit or anything that would hinder me from just capturing the entire thing as one clip? (this is my first time with a mac...hehe....just made the big switch)
Old September 20th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #1055
Warden

You shouldn't have any trouble with capturing your wedding as one long clip. OS 9, had troubles capturing scenes over 2gb.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:57 AM   #1056
New Boot

thanks for the info, i will just capture it as one clip then.
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:58 AM   #1057
Tourist

Thank you for your reply. How do I get Final Cut Express to capture from the 3rd and 4th channel (ST -2 on my Canon XL-1s). If I attempt to capture the second time the original two audio tracks (channel 1 and 2) once again get recaptured. I am trying to use a wirless microphone on the 3rd and 4th tracks. It plays back just fine using the MIX feature on the audio outputs but does not transfer to FCE using the firewire cable
Howard Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 12:26 PM   #1058
Warden

I use FCP, but in checking the FCE specs I don't see a limitation of capturing only 2 channels. You will need to change your capture preferences to reflect the 32kHz, 12 bit audio of 4 channel. You should see an option in the capture window to capture channels 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 once all the preferences are set correctly. You might want to use the FCE help feature also. Search audio capture and see what it displays.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM   #1059
Regular Crew

final Cut Pro - Device Control

Hi everybody!

I have a little problem that hopefully someone can shed some light on. I use the XL1 to capture video from and to export it back. No problem when I use the Log and Capture window and the Print to Video command. I also found that I can control the camera by simply playing what is on the timeline, which I like a lot since I can run the video through my camera to a broadcast moniter. Unfortunately it only seems to work half the time and I don't understand why. Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?

Thanks!
Mike Scoboria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:15 PM   #1060
Regular Crew

DVD capture in FCP

Hi,

do you know if it's possible to capture a clip from a retail DVD movie playing in my G4's internal DVD drive and import it directly into FCP 3?

Cheers,

Simon.
Simon Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:24 PM   #1061
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Features on DVD are protected by international copyright laws and are also generally protected from direct duplication. While there may be ways to circumvent a dvd's copy protections we will not host such discussions at DVInfo.net.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:40 PM   #1062
Inner Circle

It will depend on whether or not your camera was turned on/off when FCP starts. If FCP does not detect your camera then it will not output video down through firewire. Also, it will not do this if your external video settings are turned off (under preferences somewhere).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:00 PM   #1063
Regular Crew

I have a stand alone DV converter box for this (Sony DVMC-DA1, though the DA2 is the current model). It works 100% of the time for playback, but does not capture well when you input analog via FCP4.

I've never seen the XL1 not work doing this same thing, though. What version of Final Cut Pro are you using and what does it do when it doesn't work?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:38 AM   #1064
Regular Crew

motherboards and Premiere compatibility issues

Greetings,
are there any motherboard brands that would have compatibility issues with Premiere 6.5?
I'm assembling a new PC, and I have the choice between: ASUS, MSI and Gygabite motherboards (I had to exclude Intel because of RAM issues). do you have any preference?
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:51 AM   #1065
Major Player

Any motherboard that has issues with Premiere will also have issues with Windows. Motherboards for personal computers are not designed with applications in mind because the designer does not know what applications you will run. Only the OS is taken into consideration.

Any of those motherboards should work with Premiere.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite