DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 18th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #1036
Regular Crew

Audio Noise

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked countless times before...but here we go again.

I recorded my sound too low. For it to be intelligable at all I needed to boost the gain on it twice by boosting in FCP - export to quicktime - reimport to FCP and boost again. Obviously it has quite a bit of gain hiss.

The audio tools may as well be in Japanese to me. I see the tools and I can play with them, but I have no idea what works.

Does anyone have a way through FCP4 to at least take that hiss down a couple of notches?

On a side note, I am enjoying the upgrade from FCP3 but there are quite a few things I wish they would have left alone. Oh well.

Dan
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #1037
Inner Circle

Try the three band equalizer (EQ). Much of the annoyance of "hiss" is the high frequency content. Adjust the high band so that its gain is negative, for example -10 dB or more. Set the low and mid bands to 0dB, or unity gain. Then, set the high band frequency to some value in the lower part of its parametric range. The lower you go, the more hiss will be removed, but along with the hiss goes your overall brightness.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #1038
Regular Crew

are we talking external or internal drives here? The going rate on line at reliabe places like newegg.com etc is about $1 a gb or so sometimes less. I just got a 200 gb internal for $160. I did see some external drives with more than 40gb for less than that one somewhere. If you can afford it get a firewire drive. I suppose they are more reliable for transfering video.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #1039
Warden

The Laird outputs via FireWire, which the Mac will input. No problem there. I have clients with that setup and it works fine.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #1040
Major Player

Thanks for the replies.

I just bought a firewire aluminium casing unit with a maxtor 120Gig 7200RPM hard drive for $195. (Didn't realise how much prices have dropped). I did a check in my area, and this was the cheapest solution. The pre-built drives are about $50-$90 more... Although those small cute ones are quite eye-candy.
The casing i have doesn't seem to have a brand... but is simple, small enough and slim... looks serious. Am Happy so far.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #1041
Regular Crew

don't know

LaCie used to use Quantum drives exclusively. And that was before Quantum bought them. I don't know anymore. It hasn't seemed important. I haven't yet pulled a case apart to look...
I use Maxtor, LaCie, WD, IBM, whatever. The only problem I've had in recent history were with an early Maxtor 80GB, which Maxtor promptly replaced (the problem was in the powersupply, not the drive).
You'll like the 5000DV.
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #1042
New Boot

Awesome. thanks, man. I figured that was the case, but I didn't see too much mention of FCP on the laird site, so I wanted to make sure before lugging my G4 to work.
Jim Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #1043
Regular Crew

Will this monitor work for mirroring?

Does anybody know if an Apple Multiple Scan 1705 Display would work for mirroring with my eMac?

Thank you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #1044
Major Player

Thanks Michael. I'm looking forward to getting my Maxtor (should arrive any day now.)

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #1045
Tourist

Four cannel audo and Final Cut Express

Does anyone know how to capture the 3rd and 4th audio channels into FCE? Using the iLink DV cord I can only capture channels 1 and 2.
Howard Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #1046
Warden

Capture them in two separate passes and sync them on the timeline.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #1047
New Boot

FCE Upgrade to FCP4

I would like to hear comments on upgrading from Final Cut Express to Final Cut Pro 4 or comments on why I should buy the full version of FCP4. I'm quite unsure of myself using the computer operating system and fear the upgrade will put me in a spin from which I won't recover! Or is it as painless as installing FCE?

Tim
Timothy Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #1048
Regular Crew

As far installing FCP4 goes, it's just as easy as installing FCE. It's as simple as having your serial number from FCE and following the on-screen directions. As far as content goes, there are many extra features in FCP4 that aren't in FCE (Such as the program Soundtrack, which costs $299 by itself). I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you that you should definately upgrade to FCP4, because it really all depends on what your editing needs are. The upgrade to FCP from Express is pretty expensive ($699 I think). So it really all depends on what the extra features of FCP4 are worth to you. If you plan to edit short or feature films, music videos, or other professional work, then the upgrade may be something you want to get. Although, if you only plan on editing things such as home videos, then the extra features of FCP4 may not be worth the $699 to you. You can look at a full list of the features of FCP4 here: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro
I got the upgrade and I love it (of course I plan to use it to edit music videos and short films. Otherwise I probably would have just stuck with FCE). But beware it does take lots of time and focus to learn how to properly use FCP4, I am still learning. I hope this was helpful. Just go with whichever software you think would best fit your editing needs.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #1049
New Boot

Thanks Darrell,

There are features in FCP4 that I want to use, so I have made up my mind to proceed. While you left this message, I was talking to an Apple Media Tech, who explained the process of installation to me. As you said, it is the same process as installing Express. Without saying the upgrade and the full version were the same, the Tech stated that the Express serial number would release the same version as the full price; for three hundred dollars less! OK. I get it!

As you are aware there are many people who edit for themselves, using professional technique, just because they want to. A hobby. OK, I'll accept that. In January I'll be making my fifth trip to Inner Mongolia since 2000, to get more footage for a series of videos I'm making and they are just for myself and a few colleagues. That's just the tip of it; there's more. Anyway, I thought I would share that with you as I would give the same advice you did! I can't wait to get FCP4. I just needed a push. Thanks again.

Tim Lab
RailCine Cinematography
Timothy Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #1050
Regular Crew

Glad I could help. I think you'll be very happy with FCP4. I am loving it.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite