NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 7th, 2003, 04:35 AM   #1141
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Pretty cool, guys. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've already bought the FCP 4 upgrade, but it's sitting impatiently in the box waiting for OSX.3 to come out (I don't want to upgrade my system now, then have to again in a month or two).

Don, when you figure out how to load samples in, let us in on it. Ted, that last shot takes you by surprise at first...good job.
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #1142
Regular Crew

Final Cut Express

I really want to use Final Cut Pro 4, mostly I want to use Soundtrack, but I have an ibook 500.

I used Final Cut Pro 3 on it before, but it was never mine. My friend let me try it out for a little bit and I had to give the software back to him.

anyway, FCP 3 is great.

However, I was looking on eBay and you can get FCE for a great price. I figured many people bought it for 99 dollars with the purchase of a new computer in order to sell it.

I was thinking, maybe I should get FCE for 150 bucks while I save up to get a desktop to run FCP 4.

I would love to get Soundtrack, but there must be alternatives out there.

Question is, besides BATCH CAPTURE, which I used when I edited a feature in FCP 3, what is FCE missing that I would actually miss.

Doesn't seem like much.

Thank you.
Matthew Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #1143
Regular Crew

No G4 for SOUNDTRACK, similar program for ibook G3?

Are there any other programs like SOUNDTRACK that let you create royality free music for your films?

I use an ibook 500 G3, and Soundtrack doesn't work on it.

I read that there are hacks, but I'm a little scared do to that.

Is there a program I could use on my G3, that would do the job?
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #1144
Regular Crew

FCE Limitations

FCE is FCP for DV users. If you are working exclusively in DV (PAL or NTSC) there's practically no difference between FCE and FCP3. Keyframe editing is a little less flexible than in FCP (can't edit keyframes in the viewer). You'll find detailed comparisons on the Apple website.
Denis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #1145
Regular Crew

FCP glitches during playback

My main problem is that Final Cut Pro glitches during playback.

I have a Que! M3 120GB 7200rpm harddrive and use an Imac with 768MB total of RAM

I thought it might be because I use an Imac with fairly low RAM, but then I edited via a Lacie harddrive and FCP worked fine.

Then I tried adjusting the "device tuner" for the Que!HD to safe mode, but it said that the HD was "unsupported," whatever that means. I called the tech support at least a dozen times and they can't find a solution either.

Any suggestions for this problem?

Thanks,

Michael B
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #1146
Major Player

I did something similar to what you're thinking of. When I bought my G4, I went ahead and got the $99 FCE with the full intention of quickly upgrading to FCP. However, after doing a couple projects in FCE, I decided that was exactly what I needed. Most of FCP's extra features deal with higher end broadcasting and film work. I work with DV so I don't really need that stuff right now. Yes, I will admit, not being able to batch capture is a pain. But I don't need that feature so bad that I'm going to spend the extra $600 (B&H Photo sells it cheaper than Apple) to upgrade to Pro.
Getting back to your question... yes, I think its a great idea to get FCE for the time being while you're saving up for the desktop. After some fiddling around, you may even decide to stay with Express after getting the desktop.
When it comes to whether or not you'll miss certain features, that all depends on you and your projects. You even might be suprised at how many are included, only in a simplified form - like the color corrector. Personally, batch capture is the only missing feature that I could really use. I bought a very good book called Final Cut Express Editing Workshop by Tom Wolsky. You may feel more confident in your purchase if you find a copy at a local book seller (I found mine at Barnes & Noble) and just browse the lessons. That will give you a good idea of what the program is capable of and what you may find lacking.
Also, you can look at it financially. If you buy FCE for $150 on ebay, try it out, and can't stand how simple it is, then all you have to do is buy the FCP upgrade for $600 at B&H and you've saved $250 on the purchase of the full FCP. Which you turn around and apply towards that desktop.
Either way, I'd say its a pretty good idea.
Nicholi Brossia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #1147

Suggestions for watching audio levels while editing... (Using G5, F.C.E. & GL-2)

Back in college, for our video productions we used the built-in VU meters
on the decks to monitor audio levels while we edited...

Now that everything's non-linear, what's my option?

I'm using a G5, F.C.E. & a Canon GL-2...

Thanks Guys!

:)
Dan
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #1148
Regular Crew

FCE/FCP audio meters

I've never had a problem with the built-in meters. Have you?
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM   #1149
Regular Crew

Partitioning

You can't un-partition without reformatting your entire drive. Think of it as an opportunity to install a clean system, having backed up all your documents/DV projects/email inboxes, etc. (of course).
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #1150

Are there built in meters with Final Cut Express?
Old October 9th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #1151
Regular Crew

FCE built in meters

Yes, FCE has built in audio level meters. If you don't see them, turn them on in >Window>audio meters or by hitting option-4
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #1152
Inner Circle

FCP's meters are more like a Peak Program Meter (the type using LEDs) than the analog VU meter (with the little stick). There are some subtle differences between the two which you should probably know.

http://www.roadogz.com/stories/downunder/vumeters.htm might shed some light on it. I'm sorry if that may not be the best explanation.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #1153

thanks guys. obviously i havn't used Final Cut Express yet,
since I'm asking such questions.

i appreciate the help!

take care,
Dan
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #1154
Regular Crew

i guess not?

anyone, anyone, jobs, jobs....
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #1155

http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/order.html

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite