DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 4th, 2003, 12:33 AM   #1306
MPS Digital Studios

HELP! Unexpected quits in FCP 3 with Panther

I installed Panther, now I'm getting TONS of unexeptected quits in FCP 3.0.4 (I have a G5 1.6 ghz machine).

HELP!

heath
Old November 4th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #1307
Warden

Most of the problems with Panther are caused by 3rd party software. Some of the bad apps are Default Folder X, Copy and Paste, and any of the Unsanity Haxies. Anything that adds a preference pane to the System Preferences should also be suspect.

Have you repaired permissions and run fsck -y? How did you install Panther? Upgrade or clean install?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:02 AM   #1308
Warden

Have you tried a previous project and it doesn't work? Have you repaired permissions since upgrading? Worse case you may need to reinstall FCP 4. There are also some 3rd party software causing troubles, but I haven't heard of this issue before. Could be a camera issue also. Can you try your camera on another FCP 4 system and see if TC works?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:01 AM   #1309
Major Player

fcp4 slow starter???

hello everybody,
I just installed fcp4 and it works allright. But I do have some questions about its capabilities. I am running the program under 10.2.8 on a single processer 1.25 mac with 1 gig memory power. Its starting up witch takes a lot of time compared to fcp3, it needs to read very long. Exacly the same with closing and saving witch used to be a no time affair in 3, it takes also a really long time..(we are talking at least a minute here...)
To be fair I have tried it only under a project that was recently running in fcp 3 and now imported in to 4 (it asked to update "its file format" so the first time i could understand the time but now....)its realtime capabilities are no problem and in any other way it does not seem slow...
is this normal?

greetings

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #1310
Warden

I think it may have to do with the modified (FCP 3 to FCP 4) project. Try a project originated in FCP 4 and it should be as fast as FCP 3. You may want to repair permissions if haven't done so since installing FCP.

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #1311
MPS Digital Studios

Upgrade. How do I do those things?

heath

thanx!
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1312
Warden

You should almost always do a clean install of OS rather than an upgrade. Try repairing permissions. Open Disk Utility (should be in Utility folder inside application folder). Select your boot drive and select repair permissions (not verify). Reboot and see if problem persists. If so write back, you'll need to do a clean install. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Do you have any of the questionable software installed?

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #1313
Regular Crew

Quicktime settings

Need advice please. I'm working with IMovie 2.1

When exporting a movie to quicktime, what would be the perfect settings to prepare the quicktime movie for the web? I've been setting it on streaming web movie. I'd like to be able to show a larger quicktime movie but without losing so much sharpness. I'd prefer my quicktime movie to be able to be viewed by people with a 56k modem without waiting forever for it to download. Streaming movies are the best but I want to show larger then those small quicktime movies. Any ideas?
Rich Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #1314
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rich,
There is really no completely good answer to your question. Video streaming demands a great deal of data transfer no matter what you do. Dial-up 56k users will always be disadvantaged.

The basic variables you control with any codec are: frame rate, frame size and degree of compression.

Tools such as Cleaner 6 enable you to create fall-back versions of video for slower connections. This, of course, would relocate the compression process to a separate tool (than iMovie) but it's a very worthwhile change if you're serious about creating good, or even watchable, compressions for the Web platform.

For a better understanding of this subject do a little reading. Ben Waggoner's "Compression for Great Digital Video" (ISBN 157820111-X) is a good place to start.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1315
Regular Crew

Uninstalling software

This is probably off-topic, and I'm sure it's a dumb question to long-time mac users, but how do you uninstall software on a Mac? I installed a program on my Powerbook that I want to take off, but couldn't seem to find the answer in thje help section.
Thanks!
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1316
Contributor

Question: HD production without an HD camera?

Hi. I am being drafted for a project consisting mainly in the restoration of slide shows. Of course I think it would be wise to do the work in HD so it is not obsolete in two years. Am I correct to assume I can use 1920x1080 scans of the slides and render that as DV for editing and then as 1920x1080 using pixlet or some other codec for HD mastering? Am I missing something here? The idea is not to have to buy expensive HD (or shortlived HDV) equipment, and use a G5 with FCP4. I have read about people doing this kind of thing in Vegas, but I want to keep things Mac. Any ideas would be welcome. My coming up with a good setup will give me work for about 12 months ;-) Thanks.
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1317
Warden

In most cases (OS X) just drag the application to the trash and empty the trash. If it install preference panes or icons in the menu bar you may need to dig a little deeper. What program?

Old November 4th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #1318
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I knew you would come through.That seems almost too simple. I'm wanting to take off Avid FreeDV. I just put it on to demo it to the kids in my class, and I don't want it on my powerbook anymore anymore.
Old November 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #1319
Warden

You can also load the installer and under custom install there may be an uninstall option. But dragging it to the trash will get the largest part of the application.

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #1320
Wrangler

Actually this topic interests me as well. I would like to do 3d animation at HD resolution, so no camera is involved. Would HDV/pixlet work for this? When I get a bit of time I plan to muster up the courage to install my copy of Panther and try this for myself :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite