NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #1366
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Aww, geez, even the "feed the cat" maneuver failed? Wow, that is serious.

Well it sounds like the Firewire port is still working, eh? That's good.

I know there must be some other clever tricks to try. But, frankly, when I'm faced with such a problem I delete my FCP preferences file.

Ken Stone has a good dance-step page on this topic.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #1367
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. According to Apple's site, they are both 1680x1050. That's why I wondered.

For not alot more, I think I'll get one of the dual 1.8GHz G5's instead :)
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1368
Regular Crew

Hum removed but new problem with audio arises

I had a noticeable hum in my footage in FCP 3 & managed to remove it pretty well using a High Pass filter (setting Frequency to 1200 and Q to 1) but the overall sound of the video is now very "tinny." Can anyone offer suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks,
Erik
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #1369
Inner Circle

You can try setting the high pass filter lower, or the hum removal plug-in (actually that would probably be more appropriate).

Alternatively you can try adding a simple delay that would cancel out hum very well but it might mess up your audio. see jay rose's articles over at dv.com.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #1370
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff.
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #1371
Regular Crew

sound soap

if you aren't an audio engineer and you are struggling with basic audio filters to remove hum, buy SoundSoap. It's very effective. search google
Old November 20th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #1372
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'll 2nd Bud's recommendation for Sound Soap. It's a Bias product, the same folks who make Peak. Sound Soap is very definitely worth the relatively modest investment, particulary if you are not a dedicated audio geek (as I am not).

I will warn you, however, that SS uses the same principles and techniques for noise removal that you would emply with various filters and equalizers. That said, you can also flatten your sound with SS. It can be a bit hard to monitor because SS is continuosly adjusting and adapting. Sometimes the sound during scrubbing and preview will sound like it's coming from a cardboard tube. My point: don't assume it will be an immediate elixir that will fix you up in 15 minutes. It, too, takes a bit of practice.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #1373
Major Player

FCP4 questions

Just a few questions with some troubles I'm having.

Ok first one, I was shooting a cathedral in Barcelona and due to the really low light I get a flicker in my footage. Any ideas if any to get this out? I tried the flicker filter, but it seems to be worse with it on.

Secondly, is it possible to take a clip ... say 10 seconds long and automatically cut every .5 seconds into a seperate clip? I do this now with the razor blade and on loger clips it gets tedious.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #1374
Regular Crew

I can't answer the first question without seeing the footage. But the second question, I would just use the razor blade if it is only 10 seconds. That's only 20 cuts and you only have to go through it once.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #1375
Major Player

Sorry I should have been more clear, the 10 seconds was an example. Last night I did a 30 second clip with about 60 cuts, As I use this technique alot it would be nice to know if there was a shortcut.
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #1376
MPS Digital Studios

FCP 3 minor problem

I was looking for keyboard shortcuts, pushing keys, and now the canvas has no picture, and the last image I hit "stop" on is frozen. I checked my video output, which was to my camera. So what key or button did I hit, and what can I do to get my picture back?

Thanks,

heath
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #1377
Regular Crew

Compressor vs. BitVice -- which is superior?

Has anyone ever done an in-depth comparison of MPEG-2 files compressed with the latest version of BitVice and Apple's Compressor? I used to use BitVice when it was version 1.2.5, and it seems that the quality is about the same, although the BitVice files are much smaller. The BitVice website says that the latest version is even better and faster. Is the difference in quality worth the price: $300 vs. free?
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #1378
Inner Circle

Check your external video settings?

FCP may be trying to send video to your camera instead of your canvas or vice versa.

I forget the shortcut for toggling that setting, but it might be command + shift + F12.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 07:03 AM   #1379
Warden

Compressor is fairly well regarded in terms of image quality, speed etc. for a software solution. I've not seen any comparisons to date. Have you tried Compressor and had quality problems? If not, I'd try Compressor, everything I've seen looks very good.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:02 AM   #1380
Wrangler

Yeah, try View > External Video > All Frames. The other thing which can affect this is under the Audio/Video Settings in the FCP menu. Click on the External Video tab and look at your setting for "View During Playback", also the "Mirror on desktop during Playback" checkbox.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is to make sure that either "Image" or "Image+Wireframe" is checked under the View menu, but from your description that doesn't sound like the problem.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite