Am I going to regret if I'm shooting in different frame rates and formats? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Am I going to regret if I'm shooting in different frame rates and formats?

Im shooting a project with a HMC150 and a Canon XA10. Ideally, the thing will be edited in 24fps but I know I'll want some slo-mo at times. Because of this, I find myself shooting at times with the

HMC 150:
720 60p
1080 24p

XA10
60i
24p

When it comes time to edit all this stuff, am I going to have hell? I use FCP 7 (small chance I'll move up to FCP X but unlikely) when editing. I've never edited a project that has multiple frame rates. I dont know if this is a bad idea or not. Advise me!
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Am I going to regret if I'm shooting in different frame rates and formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
When it comes time to edit all this stuff, am I going to have hell?
It is possible to convert 24p to 60i using pulldown, 60p to 24p by dropping frames and 60i to 24p by dropping fields. All of these conversions have an irregular pattern which can cause motion judder depending on the your footage. You can treat the motion judder as an artistic effect, edit around it or use frame rate conversion software based on motion interpolation to reduce it.

What is your distribution? Bluray, DVD, television, internet or cinema?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Am I going to regret if I'm shooting in different frame rates and formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
Im shooting a project with a HMC150 and a Canon XA10. Ideally, the thing will be edited in 24fps but I know I'll want some slo-mo at times. Because of this, I find myself shooting at times with the

HMC 150:
720 60p
1080 24p

XA10
60i
24p

When it comes time to edit all this stuff, am I going to have hell? I use FCP 7 (small chance I'll move up to FCP X but unlikely) when editing. I've never edited a project that has multiple frame rates. I dont know if this is a bad idea or not. Advise me!
I wouldn't recommend mixing interlaced and progressive, so except for the 60i everything else is okay, and quite normal. But even the 60i can be okay depending on your workflow and delivery, as Eric has said.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite