FCP7 and 4k digital zoom -> DVD delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 26th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP7 and 4k digital zoom -> DVD delivery

I have a different take on the 4k and FCP7 capability question, one I don't see discussed anywhere.

I am considering the use of a 4k camera to capture a stage play or dance recital in an unmanned wide view, then use this massive resolution to "digitally" zoom into the frame to where the action is. With eventual delivery via standard def DVD, I figure I have a great deal of zooming capability and can get quite "close".

I have done a similar thing with HD for years, taking advantage of the added resolution to reframe shots from my primary and secondary cameras in post. I use a SD timeline and drop HD media in it, scaling and repositioning as needed. Its works well, but I do see some degradation as I approach 100% scaling.

1) Can I capture and edit 4k media in FCP7 in a way that maintains the full resolution and allows the workflow described above?

2) I have a concern that digitally zooming to a SD sized frame within the 4k image will not provide the same optical result that a SD camera would. Would it look strange/bad? If merely different, different how?

This would mostly be an insurance policy to cover a case where my primary shooters might miss a shot with the two main cameras, but it would still need to look good.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: FCP7 and 4k digital zoom -> DVD delivery

MIke,
Your machine might be able to handle some 4K files in FCP 7 editing at 1080 but might not. Not all 4k recordings are done the same way so converting the footage to work in FCP may be an issue for you to consider. You would be better upgrading if this is going to be a common workflow for you.
As far as the look of the material you will have to judge how your footage looks in SD. Exposure, depth of field and focus make a big difference how things looks. You will not have the same optical characteristics by scaling the image as you would say using a longer lens to get the closeups. This may not bother you but might.
Overall it seems like a bit of a stretch but I am sure sometimes it will be okay and others not so good.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite