NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2006 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 27th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #31
Major Player

Can FCP Pro Online Edit DVCPRO-HD for BROADCAST?? (i.e. Professiona TV series?)

Question, if I shoot in DVCAM or DVCPRO-HD (the latter is the format of choice, with the new DVX200 out), will I be able to do my online edit (and yes, my offline edit as well, haaa) on the latest FCP and have it output for broadcast?

The workflow seems straight forward. I would like to shoot and edit in 1080 24p, is this possible?

And if I'm importing diffferent types of clips, perhaps at different variable frame rates even, can I put them all in to one show and output in 1080 24p fine, or will there be problems? I know this is all theortetical, but if anyone has experience, love to hear it!!
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #32
New Boot

How do I convert my 24pA film to 30fps?

I'm working on a 30min. short film for which I intend on ultimately putting on DVD for viewing. I decided to shoot it in 24p Advanced (2:3:3:2 pulldown) instead of 24p (2:3 pulldown), knowing full well that it would probably be more challenging to get it to look right at 30fps. The reason was, though, that we're actually doing some animation onto the film and other special effects where if the film would've had the "24fps look" in the technically 30fps (2:3 pulldown), then the animation and effects would have a "30fps look" on top of the "24fps look" footage - very distracting.

Anyways, we're editing in an Avid Adrenaline and we'll be doing our cgi in After Effects. Any suggestions as to the best way of converting the 24fps to 30fps so it can be played off a DVD correctly?

Thanks a ton!!
Doug
www.freshcreations.com
Doug Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #33
New Boot

Soundtrack Pro -blem

Anyone run in to this... In the Actions/Analysis section while in the audio editor, the program will analyze the clip fine highlighting all the problems, but the fix and fix all buttons are grayed out. I've checked around in prefrences to see if something is amiss, and searched through the manual but can't figure out what's going on... Thanks for your time.
Jeff Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Compressor/qmaster, REAL distributed processing?

We just got a second mac and put the FCP suite on it and set up a cluster with our 2 macs using the qmaster stuff. We set up something to render and it works, however... not in an ideal way.

When it renders, one computer renders the video and the other renders the audio. That's fine, but when one computer finishes the audio, which only takes about 5 minutes, then it's not doing anything. The computer that was rendering the video is left to do it by itself.

I was under the impression that it would almost treat the cluster as one multi-processor system, where it would split the job using both computers until the job is done. Am I mistaken? Is there some option I'm missing?
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:07 PM   #35
Regular Crew

FCP 5 Rendering Problem

Each time I'm done working on a project and when I go to re-open it I have to render almost everytime. I don't recall moving any files offline and when I try to reconnect media using locate or search I get nothing. I'm working on a project where everything is stored on an external disc drive. I have checked my settings and everything seems to be correct. Whenever I had this problem in FCP 4 I could just reconnect media and everything would re-render. Any solutions?

Thanks,
Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:44 PM   #36
New Boot

shooting at 24pa capturing at 30 or shoot at 30/capture at 30

I have read a ton of info about 24p(a) and would like to know what people advise about my specific issue.

I shot about 12hrs of footage on a documentary so far on a xl1. So I have been editing in a 29.97 timeline. Now I am shooting with the dvx-100a (i am aware they will look way different and that is what I want). I plan on staying in a 29.97 timeline. I am unsure of what to shoot at on the dvx. I have no realistic plans to put this to film. I am a poor student.

So my question is if I want to keep and 29.97 timeline should/can I shoot at 24pa and capture at 30. Or should I just shoot at 30?

paul.
Paul Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM   #37
New Boot

trouble with FCP to Cinema Tools

I am conforming a clip from 60 to 23.98 fps. I export the uncommpressed clip into QT, open in Cinema Tools, conform. Then import back to FCP. It is an anamorphic clip. When i import back to FCP it is not 16:9, but a streched 4:3. What is causing it to change? How do I keep it 16:9? Thanks for any info.
Mason
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM   #38
Regular Crew

mixing 24pn & 60I footage

I might be shooting a project where some footage will be 24pn & other footage will be 60I. The 24pn footage will be shot with my xl2, the other with a Sony Digital 8 camera. If I'm going to be throwing both footage on the same 29.97 timeline in Final Cut Pro 4 or 5, will that become a issue with output back to DVD or tape? Or would that only be a issue if the XL2 footage was shot in 24pa?
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Need help--widescreen quicktime, FX1

I've run into a problem that I've spent all day trying to figure out but no luck.

I use FCP Express HD--I just bought after moving up from iMovie. My goal is a web-based quicktime. My camera is a Sony FX-1, shot in HDV, downconverted in-camera to DV. Running on a Mac with Quicktime Pro 7.

What I get in FCP is a widescreen image (not letterboxed). Great. Editing, no problem.

But when I export to Quicktime I get an image with black bars at top and bottom...sometimes. Sometimes I get a proper "widescreen" conversion with no black bars. I am not aware that I changed any settings.

I am very new to FCP so no doubt the fix is very easy (fingers crossed).

Any clues?

Thanks,

--Darin
Darin Boville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #40
Regular Crew

HVX200 and FCP 4.5

Just wondering if anyone has tried to ues 24/720p footage from a HVX200 P2 with FCP 4.5.? From hat I understand, it does work as long as you import from the desktop card store and not from the camera. Granted, you will see a downconverted signal on your monitor but... just wondering of anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks!
Jake Hensberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #41
Trustee

How do I put a 25fps clip on a 24fps timeline without reencoding

I am shooting some stuff in 25p but need to produce a 24p final file. I don't want to throw the 25p into a 24p timeline as is because I assume FCP will reencode it, interpolating frames as necessary when I finally go to render. So what I was hoping to do is just drop it on and have 1:1 frame playback, albeit 4% slower.

Can this be done in FCP and how, I'm new to the program.

Also, I know I'll have to pitch shift the audio up by 4% too. Can this be done inside FCP?

Cheers
Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Koolen; April 6th, 2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Title change
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #42
New Boot

capture problem in FCP- frozen timecode

I am trying to capture clips shot with my JVC HD100u. I shot them in DV mode 24p with the advanced pulldown. I have captured about 3 1/2 tapes of footage, but now when i try to capture the timecode freezes, but the tape plays on. So it cannot read any further timecode, and will not capture. Capture now freezes the code as well. Marking in & out points work, but then when i go to capture clip, the timecode will freeze again. It is imparative I get this footage. What is happening with my timecode!?!?!
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #43
New Boot

Dropped Frames during Capture now

At the end of a long live recording using Capture now function, the dropped frames message appeared. There is no file shown in the Mac Finder, so I don't know if it has created the file. I have not yet closed the capture and log screen.

Is there a way to recover the file?

YIKES
Kathy Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #44
Major Player

PAL to NTSC footage problems...

I have a promotional DVD from a client from Finland, and of course, it's in PAL. I tried just copying the files and opening them directly, but that didn't work. I ended up ripping them from the DVD with Handbrake, and it worked fine. I can import those files into FCS and it works... except that the footage is stretched vertically. I thought it would be stretched horizontally, because PAL is taller, so to scrunch it into 480 tall would make things look shorter and fatter.

I probably sound like a bumbling idiot :-) Is there a better way to get PAL footage from a DVD and edit it in NTSC without the aspect change? I need to add some new footage that was shot in NTSC into the middle of the existing footage, add new bkg music and vo, and output onto an NTSC DVD.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #45
Regular Crew

$150 Rebate on MacBook Pros?

Check out Amazon's offers on the MacBook Pros. They are offering a $150 rebate, but Apple didn't seem to know anything about it. Sounds like a good deal. What gives?
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite