DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #91
Major Player

DVCProHD Codec

Does anyone know where to find DVCProHD Codec for QT pro 7? I'm at the moment away from home and I'm exporting through MPEG streamclip. At home on mine G5 I have FCP5 and the codec in that computer - but I really would like to know if anyone know if there is anywhere to download the codec?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #92
Regular Crew

DVD Burning Software

I need simple burning software to burn discs for previewing on my TV. iDVD seems kind of glitchy and takes too long to render out the menu themes.

I see that Toast 7 lists video DVD burning as a feature. Would that be a way to go, or is it just the Roxio version of iDVD?
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #93
New Boot

DV editing on a macbook pro compared to a toshiba qosmio???please hep

i have used a pc most of my editing career and for the past 6 months used a powermac G5 and now im considering getting the new toshiba qosmio g35-av650 or the macbook pro. the toshiba seems really nice and even some better specs than the mac. i am more comfortable using PC anyway because i noticed i do all my effects in after effects anyway and just put my footage together on FCP or premire. but will this computer be able to handle DV editing? Please help!!! thanks
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #94
Regular Crew

iMovieHD or FCP?

Here goes guys:
I finished a 20 min wedding highlight in iMovieHD. Footage shot 720 30p from JVC HD100. (HDV) Now I need to make a DVD of this footage. Standard def that will play in current DVD players is fine. I want the best possible quality for this DVD. I have researched and looked all around here, and am somewhat confused by the diffferent opinions, etc. Anyone can tell me the step by step approach to making this work? I have already taken much time completing project, so a new import, selecting DV out is not an option. I do have FCP studio as well. Thanks in advance, and I hope I can repay favor sometime.
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #95
New Boot

Who is using the Kona LHe card?

Hi guys. I need some advice from anyone who has had success outputing hdv edits to hdcam tape using the Kona LHe card.

A little background.

I'm editing a doco, shot on a Sony Z1 and digibeta (both 25fps), in fcp 5.1.1. I've down converted the hdv to dv, and the digibeta was transferred to dv as well for the edit. I plan to recapture the final cut in hdv (maybe having transfered the digibeta to hdv as well, rather than hire a digibeta deck. Compromised quality i know.)

We want to use the Kona card to output the cut to hdcam for grading etc direct from an hdv timeline.

A further complication is that the final product has to be 23.98 pfs on hdcam, so converted from interlace to progressive (and slowed) at some stage... Has anyone done this? Horror stories?

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts you guys might have..
Nigel Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Dropped Frames from Exporting/Rendering??

Hey All,

I've experienced a problem that I have never seen or heard of before.

I just finished editing the wedding project from H_LL and when I went to export it, my final project had 72 instances of dropped frames, all about 10 frames at a time. I reverted back to a earlier saved version, and it is now in all, I repeat all of the source footage.

Anybody hear of this? All I can guess is that since I am using external drives, they have been dropped somewhere in the transfer.

Please reply with some ideas.
Thanks buddies!

Bryon <><
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Frame Mode- Better to do on camera or post?

I am getting ready to shoot a series of DVD devotional videos, 42 to be exact. All of the videos will be on average 7-11 minutes in length. I will be shooting in a studio with 2 XL series cameras an one DVX model. I know I want my final project to be 16:9, with a cinematic feel. I have MAgic Bullet and will be using this to addsome color feel to it. When it comes to frame mode, should I use the camera's settings or should i use Cinema tools in FCP Studio? I'm thinking Post would be easier and better.

Now, please give me opinions, thoughts, and suggestions!

Thanks,
Bryon <><

Also, any great tips and techniques you have come up with for adding to the film feel in post would be wonderful!!
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Move over Vegas

Well I just made the plunge and ordered a shiny new 17" MBPro and FCP. Should be in by the end of the week. Thanks in advance for all the help I am going to need with FC.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #99
Major Player

Would this work: capture 1080i as 720p

I want to know if it is possible to capture 1080i as 720p. Here's my idea: capture 1080i via component cables into FCP using a custom capture setup (720p30, etc). I'm wondering because my main camera is a JVC HD100 (native 1280x720 resolution, square pixels). I want to know if I bought a Sony Z1u (1440x1080, rectangular pixels), if capturing via component would effectively capture the pixels as square. Setting the resolution to 1280 x 720 progressive would be easy. But... would it work? It would seem this would be easier on the cmputer's processing than scaling the 1080i in the timeline.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #100
Regular Crew

DVCPRO HD audio sync problems

I am capturing Varicam footage off of the HD1200 deck through firewire and consistently get audio out of sync by 7 or 8 frames. It seems to me like I probably set something up incorrectly -- has anyone experienced this kind of consistent out of sync audio and is there some way to avoid it in the future? BTW, I am capturing 720p24 and having FCP remove the dupe frames.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #101
Regular Crew

No audio on capture?

Can anyone tell me if they have audio while capturing HDV? I'm running FCP5 and when I capture, there is nothing for audio. There is audio on the clip after you have captured though. When capturing DV, there is audio and many more options. Is this something thats for HDV only or is it my deck (using brhd50)

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Brian Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #102
New Boot

Dig-it-tttal breakup

I have a small clip of audi tha has some audio digital hits in it. I tried Sounsoap with little help. What filters can I use in FCP to help?
Shot on Canon XL2 in 16 bit

As always thanks,

Mike
Old July 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM   #103
Wrangler

Recall of 15" MacBook Pro BATTERIES

https://support.apple.com/macbookpro15/batteryexchange/

Apple is offering free exchange of 15" Macbook Pro batteries that have model number A1175 and a 12-digit serial number that ends with U7SA, U7SB or U7SC.

The press release states that the current batteries do not pose a safety risk, but just that they don't meet the "high standards" set by Apple.
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #104
Regular Crew

24p and 30p together happily

Hi, FCPeers!
How do I put HDV 24p and 30p footage together on the same project? I've got some stuff that I want to look like behind the scenes (24p) and some stuff that looks on camera (30p). How can I have them in the same project?
Thanks!
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #105
Major Player

Does Compressor use "Rendered" files?

Hi,

When I export out of FCP using compressor, I heard that Compressor does not use any of the rendered content (color correction, crossfades ect.) but instead re-renders the timeline as it's feeding the frames to Compressor.

If this is true, why? wouldn't it save time if compressor just used the data from the rendered files? Should I just stop rendering since these files will never be used except for playback?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite