24p - The End All Be All Thread - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM   #31
Major Player

Use the Nattress Standards Conversion filter to convert your 60i to 24p, then put it in your 24p timeline. Works better than most converters.
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Exporting 24P in FCP Question

I exporting my first HD 24p project (shot on JVC hd-100) from FCP to DVD Pro. I usually export by making a quick time movie. My question is, do I need to do anyting in the settings dropdown menu or do I leave them on current settings. Do I have to do anything different or special when exporting HD 24p?

In DVD Pro do I need to open it up in HD or is that only if I'm going to make a HD DVD? If I'm not mistaken a HD DVD will only play on a computer or if you have a HD DVD player. How much is lost burning to SD DVD?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from JVC Pro HD to Non-Linear Editing on the Mac.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #34
Major Player

(1) HD-DVD's burned from DVD Studio Pro are encoded with a Red Lazer on a regular DVD and only play on a G5 or higher Machine or the first Toshiba HD player before any updates. They DO NOT play on the new players with the upgraded firmware or the XBOX HD-DVD player.

(2) You should encode with compressor which will automatically make it a 24P file.

(3) HD-SD = 1280x720 to 720x480. That's how much information you are losing. This is not to say that SD DVD's burned from HD100 footage looks bad, because it doesn't. In fact, it looks incredible. I use Compressor's Best Quality 16:9 setting and the results are incredible.

Hope this helped.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve,

I have to be honest Steve, I have always shied away from compressor because I never have used it before. You know how you find something that works easy and you stick with it like a quick time reference movie. I’ll give it a go and let you know how it turned out.

Other then selecting the best quality 16:9 setting is there anything else I need to tweak? I noticed there was a frame rate setting although it was set to the same settings as what I captured so I’m guessing that’s ok? I started the export and it looks like it is going to take a bit over an hour for a 17 minute video. Does that seem about right?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’ve gone through the manuals and the really don’t cover in much detail about HD 24P.

Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #36
Major Player

Compressor should detect it for you. I do not screw with the settings. You might as well give it a try.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #37
Major Player

Compressor now does a much better job than it used to in previous versions. My work flow is:

1. Make a QuickTime movie from FCP using the same settings as your setup. Don't use QuickTime Conversion.

2. After doing this you'll have a 720p24 movie (what I refer to as a Final Cut Master). Open Compressor then drag this movie into it. Steve's suggestion of using 16:9 Best Quality is exactly what I do. No need to change any of the default settings. BUT, make sure you select AC3 audio and not aif. Compressor will make a 24p file if that's the frame rate of what's put into it.

3. Bring the resulting .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD SP and author your DVD. I always make a disc image rather than burning a disc out of DVD SP so I can make duplicates whenever needed.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Help with 24P Test Footage for Movie Theater

Hi,

I want to know the best way to accurately test my camera footage on a movie theater screen.

I bought a new camera (JVC HD110U), am shooting some 24P test footage, and will edit with the latest version of Final Cut Pro (Studio).

Should I burn a DVD and play that? Should I output to tape and play it back from a tape deck or my camera? If a tape deck, which one, or does it matter?

The theater is giving me some free time to test my footage before my main shoot. I want to see how my test footage looks, but honestly don't know the best way to go about that. I would appreciate some insights!
Chris Rentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #39
Major Player

depends on their projector imputs....

from my z1 to my 720p projector... I print back to tape, then output using component and it looks great.

I've also played fullscreen HD quicktimes from my macbook to the projector from the dvi-vga cable.... looks great.

burning to a traditional SD DVD will not look as good.... not bad.... but not as good.

there are dvd players that will play HD mpeg files out of their HDMI output... but I have yet to try it.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #40
Major Player

Error capturing 720p, 24p with hd110 with fcp 5.0.1

I'm sure this has been discussed on this board quite frequently lately... I searched back a few pages and wasn't able to find anything. With the newest version of fcp, will 720p, 24p shot with the 110, function properly? Or, is this program needed? http://www.lumierehd.com/currentbeta_download.php
Thanks a lot, guys. Take it easy...
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Douglas, you might think about up-grading to FCP 5.1.2. This will allow you to work with 24p inside FCP without added software.
Scott Tebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #42
Major Player

Excellent. Thanks, man. I appreciate the reply.
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:45 AM   #43
New Boot

Best way to convert 24p to 29.97 w/FCP or Compressor

Hello all... I have a feature film that is a 1920x1080 24fps FCP project... A film festival I am screening at is using an Omneon system....So I giving them a quicktime movie on a hard drive instead of an HDCAM tape etc...

They told me that they will convert my file from 24fps to 29.97 before encoding it into mpeg2 for the Omneon system...

To make things easier I want to give them a 29.97 version... So whats the best way to do this? Export it out of FCP and just set it to 29.97? Or use compressor?

Anybody have any experience doing this?

Thanks!
Mike Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM   #44
Wrangler

Both FCP and Compressor will do the job, but incorrectly. To bring it up to 29.97, both will repeat every 4th frame once, giving a little bit of a stutter.

To do it right, you have to use After Effects. Bring the 23.98 file into a 23.98 comp, then go to render it out. In the output settings, you have to specify "fields", and then a pulldown pattern. Doing both of those will automatically change the output framerate to 29.97, which you'll see on the right side of the dialog. Then hit "go", and wait a good long while.

Of course you'll have to pick an output codec that makes sense for you...
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #45
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
To do it right, you have to use After Effects. Bring the 23.98 file into a 23.98 comp, then go to render it out.
Thanks for the tips Nate... Will it make a difference that my source is 24p rather than 23.98? The film is made up of 3d animation that was rendered out at 24p... I'll do some tests in AE, thanks again Nate.
Mike Belmont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite