24p - The End All Be All Thread - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #61
Major Player

I frame by framed the clip. I didn't see any interlace lines as far as I could tell. Granted it's on a 20 inch imac in a 4 inch window, but the lines should be fairly obvious right? What else should I look for in the clip?

Hmm, I guess one way to find out would be to export the clip in 24p watch it at a higher res... DOH!

I feel supremely stupid... it's been a long day.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Harmon View Post
use the nattress plugin
I did try this. Didn't seem to work well. Can you recommend any settings?
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #63
New Boot

No, it doesn't.

But here is a VERY streamlined way of doing it in FCP/Cinematools.....

1) Capture in FCP use Apple Intermediate Codec.
(Doing this saves a step and a great deal of time.)

2) If captured as HDV, then you must export to AIC, DVCPro HD, or other intraframe codec
(If you do step 1 you don't have to do step 2)

3) Secondary (right click) click on the captured footage and "Open in Editor." Find the first of 3p frames for the start and then find the last of 2i frames for the finish. "Edit/Trim to Selection."

4) Save that as a self-contained QT mov.

5) Open saved file in Cinematools. Reverse telecine button at bottom.
Capture Mode = Field 1 - Field 2
Fields = DD
File = New Smaller
Frames = 23.98

6) Save file and re-import into FCP.

That's as streamlined as you can get. If you have a bunch of clips you can "Batch" them and save some more time. Put all the clips you want in a folder then "Batch." But for some reason you have to select "Field 2 - Field 1." Don't know why.
Jules Ruez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #64
Regular Crew

24p, 24p Advanced, FCP, and Burning to DVD

Hi all, Yes I am another person confused by 24p. My hope is that you anwer this and we will have an easy thread for newbies like myself in similar circumstances to find.

I shoot Wedding Videos. They are burned to DVD.

The problem: I shot my project in 24p.
I did not shoot in 24p advanced (24p advanced is sometimes referred to as 24pa)

I am using Final Cut Studio

How do I capture this? I have tried the Easy Setup: DV-NTSC 24p (23.98) It does not look right. in the viewer, it repeats a frame every 4 frames. In the canvas, it's appears heavily interlaced. Also in the canvas it looks like it's going at 28 frames a second.

Secondly, should I just record in 24pa from now on? Then I can just use the advanced pulldown removal in the easy set up. Is this correct knowing that I will be using DVD Studio Pro to burn my final project?

I want to make sure that when I use the slowmotion feature when editing, I am not repeating a frame every 4 frames.

Sorry for being redundant. I know this has been covered. I have read the threads using search, but I am still confused.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #65
Contributor

compressor can handle the pulldown removal as well. i've been capturing to hdv60i and then using compressor to remove pulldown and output to hdv24p, saves a lot of space, and i haven't had any issues, at least with the pulldown removal, sound sync is a different story...and different thread...
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Ok, after more searching, I finally found the answer in the "Non-Linear Editing on the Mac" forum.

Here is the link:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=551796

It was harder then heck to find. I think it would be good if we left this thread here for others to easily find.

If you search for 24p and time code, you get pages of results. Most of them say "we covered this in another thread." Of course no one provides hyperlinks, or anything. Hopefully this will make it easy to find. I have learned some more stuff that will make it easy for a newbie to 24p get started on the right track. I will do a write up tomorrow.
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #67
Regular Crew

This is for XL2 owners that use Final Cut Pro.

I'm no expert, so please someone chime in if there is a better way.

If you have recorded your footage using 24p and you have NOT selected the advanced pulldown (2:3:3:2) then just capture your footage in Final Cut Pro using the DV-NTSC (Found in the easy set up). If you shot in 16:9, then use the DV-NTSC Anamorphic setting in easy setup.

So in otherwords, just capture it as if you shot it in 60i. Don't try to capture it using any of the 24p capture settings. They won't work.

Ok, so now you have your footage on the scratch disk. You will notice that every fourth frame is repeated. Now you must use Cinema Tools to get rid of the repeated fourth frame and get you to the 24p.

Open Cinema Tools. Hit Cancel when it asks you to open a database. Go to the menu bar. Select 'File', then go down to "Batch Reverse Telecine..."
Now simply find the first mov file on your scratch disk. You only have to select one. Cinema Tools will change all of them for you, preserving your originals and puting them in convienient folders on your scratch disk. If you have not already press the choose button. on the next screen, make sure it says "Conform to 23.98", "File: New (smaller)", and "keep originals". Press ok, and Cinema Tools will go to work for you. Now go get something to eat, play with your dog, watch an episode of star trek...

Your almost done and ready to edit.

Open up Final Cut Pro. In easy setup, choose "Cinema Tools 23.98fps From DV NTSC" You will need to start a new sequence before the setting will take effect (File > New > Sequence)

Import your new mov files by going to File > Import > Files. The new mov files are in the "reversed" folder.

Like I said, this is how I did it. Not saying it's the best or only way, but my footage looks great, no visible interlacing and is in 24 frames a second (no repeated frames)
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harjo View Post

It was harder then heck to find. I think it would be good if we left this thread here for others to easily find.
This topic is about 24P editing on the Mac and does not belong in the XL2 forum.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #69
Regular Crew

So remember, if you are going to edit in the 24p timeline, use the advance pulldown (2:3:3:2) when you record.

Last edited by Tim Harjo; June 16th, 2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM   #70
Regular Crew

So, I finally figured out how to take my 60i footage to super-slow 24p.
Nattress plugin. Guess I'm buying it tomorrow.

Test clip here:

480p:
http://www.paradigmpictures.net/video/60ito24p.mov
Matt Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM   #71
Regular Crew

24P, Print to Video and some other questions

Just started to edit a documentary I been shooting and I got some problems and some questions. :)

Im using Fcp6 and I captured my 24F material from my XH-A1 using 1080p24.

Anyway when I have like 30 tapes of material I like to cut it down and get rid of all the stuff I dont need. So I been editing the material down and now I want to put it back on tape again. Here I have problems.

I have 1 hour of material that I want to output on a minidv using the xh-a1 in vcr mode. When I use print to video it works fine but after 13 minutes of material the camera stop getting signal or something (no video just blue). Anyone have an idea what to do. I got a fast seagate 500gig external HD and its nothing wrong with the cords. Loads of clips though.

I also want to store this one hour material as an video file on my computer without loosing any quality (for storage). Should I just make an self contained quicktime with current setting (it doesnt lose any quality that way right?) or should I use the prores 422 or something else?

Jonathan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM   #72
Regular Crew

I will bump this question cause I still havent be able to fix it. :(

Everytime I print something to video my XH-A1 will record footage for around 10 min and then it will lose connection or something. The screen on camera just become blue/black. Starting to think there is a problem with the camera.
Jonathan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #73
New Boot

24p Advance & Anamorphic Settings!

Hi I have some footage that I shoot in 24p Advance in 16:9 anamorphic with a AG-DVX100 with a 16:9 lens. I am using FC6 and in the capture settings for DV I used the Advance pull down removal and the material it is in 23.98 but is shows ian a 4:3 aspect ratio. I create a sequence and check the Anamorphic box but when I put the video on the timeline it doesn't stretch to 16:9. I tried using the Anamorphic DV capture preset and it displays as 16:9 but I don't get the Pulldown Removal!!! My fix is to go the motion tab in the clips and adjusting the aspect ratio setting to 0 for the clips that I used the pulldown removal capture mode. This is a Feature Length movie and I don't want to imagine I have to adjust the aspect ratio setting for each clips!!(that will be in the hundreds) Is there's a Setting That I can Get the Pulldown Removal and the 16:9 at once?? And also which sequence Setting I need to use the 24p or the 23.93? The movie will be transfer to film in the future? Thanks!!!
Ariel Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #74
Major Player

The settings I've used in the past were:

- Load the DV 23.98 48kHz preset. Check Anamorphic.
- In the Log and Capture window, go to your capture settings tab and under device control set that to Firewire. In the capture dropdown select DV 48kHz advanced pulldown removal.

Hope it helps
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #75
New Boot

Thanks!!! I resolve the problem!! I needed to create a new capture setting with both Anamorphic and Remove pulldown enabled!! Also Another Question?? I have some footage in 24padvance and some in regular 24p What I need to do to use the regular 24p footage in the 24 timeline!! How do I remove the fields to convert the regular 24p to true 24p??? thanks!!!
Ariel Ferrer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite