DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Compressor & DVDSP Question

If I use compressor for my sequence in FCP and then import it into DVDSP... do I need to recompress all over again...? Or is it fine?

I'm just wondering if there's an important step I'm missing in DVDSP. I did a quick 5 minute project and it looked fine (fine to me, anyways).
Colby Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Knight View Post
If I use compressor for my sequence in FCP and then import it into DVDSP... do I need to recompress all over again...? Or is it fine?

I'm just wondering if there's an important step I'm missing in DVDSP. I did a quick 5 minute project and it looked fine (fine to me, anyways).
If you already exported your timeline & used Compressor to create your DVD (mpeg-2) files, then all you need to do is import those files into your DVDSP Project timeline. No further compression is necessary.

If you hadn't already created an Mpeg-2 DVD file, DVDSP would have prompted you to do so.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You the man Scott!
Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's another question...

When I export in FCP to Compressor, there is a slew of options to pick from.
I want to export the video and audio together (I think).
What's the best selection for this?

Right now I'm picking the best encoding for DV, 90 minutes at 4:3. And this compressor thing is blowing my mind.

I'm not stupid... just REALLY SLOW.

Would it better (or worse) to just export as a QT movie and then let DVDSP do its thing? It seems that may be easier. For me, anyways....

Last edited by Colby Knight; May 3rd, 2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: I'm a fool with this stuff.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Colby.

In Compressor, just select the .m2v (for video) file and ONE of your two options for the sound file, either AIFF or Dolby .ac3 file. The AIFF is the full sized file while the Dolby .ac3 is compressed (meaning a much smaller file size) but still sounds great. I normally choose Dolby .ac3 myself.

So if you choose .m2v and .ac3, then submit your batch and import the resultant files into DVD SP you'll get a good result.

Using Compressor gives you a lot more control over the quality of your footage in the final DVD, but your idea of exporting the Quicktime and then letting DVD SP compress it should be fine.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby Knight View Post
Would it better (or worse) to just export as a QT movie and then let DVDSP do its thing? It seems that may be easier. For me, anyways....
David gave you a good answer. I would add that for the best possible quality, you probably want to go through compressor, i.e. create your MPEG video and your audio in separate files. And yes, AC3 is the standard choice for audio delivery on video DVDs.

One reason why you might not like doing it this way is the long time it takes compressor to create the MPEG file, since during this time Final Cut Pro cannot be used for anything else - it is busy handing off frame after frame to compressor. You can work around this by exporting a QuickTime file from Final Cut and then, in a second step, running compressor "by hand", still exploiting the many encoding options that it offers. However, you'll then be encoding your video twice, so unless your export from Final Cut is with a lossless codec, the resulting quality will probably be a tad bit lower than what you can get by using compressor straight out of Final Cut.

Another reason to export m2v files with compressor is that you can then import them as assets into multiple DVDSP projects without having to MPEG-encode them again and again. Depending on what you put on your DVDs, this may or may not be relevant for you.

- Martin
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
you'll then be encoding your video twice
UNLESS you uncheck "make movie self contained" when exporting the QT file from Final Cut, then you can make a QT Reference file which outputs VERY fast (it uses all the video renders you've already done and contains only pointers to those files).
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you guys for the responses!
I love this site!
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Dills View Post
UNLESS you uncheck "make movie self contained" when exporting the QT file from Final Cut, then you can make a QT Reference file which outputs VERY fast (it uses all the video renders you've already done and contains only pointers to those files).
Exactly, I always un-check "make movie self contained" and export the audio & video as seperate files. The reason I do seperate files is so I can use Soundtrack Pro to gain maximize, without the video mucking up the process.

I import the audio & video files seperately into Compressor also.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite