FCP canvas adjustments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP canvas adjustments

sorry if there is a thread already like this. i use final cut pro to edit at my school and i'm not the best at it either because i usually use premiere pro at my house.

here's the problem, i use an optura xi ntsc. and i shot it at 16:9 widescreen. what i'm trying to say is: what are the adjustments that i need to do so it wouldn't look messed up on the canvas or when i have to export it.

i've tried using dv ntsc anamorphic, but i'm not really sure if that's what i'm supposed to do as for the format. it looks fine when i fit it into the canvas because i'm not losing footage left and right, except that there are the black bars on the top and the bottom of the canvas. i know i shot it in widescreen, and i know that it's supposed to have them. but i don't think that it's supposed to have the black bars on the top and bottom of the canvas. i was just thinking that the actual video wouldn't have the black bars, but when i full screen it, it should. i hope you understand? but am i doing something incorrect? or is there a certain way to adjust the canvas size.

please help! THANKS
Brandon Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Brandon. DV anamorphic is the correct setting if you shot 16:9. From your description it sounds like your clips and sequence have different settings.

To insure that everything agrees, close all projects which are open such that all you see is the menu bar. Now go to Easy Setup and choose the NTSC DV Anamorphic settings. Now start a new project. Any clips, captures or sequences that you create will now have the correct settings. If you have existing clips, make sure they are flagged as anamorphic before dropping them into a sequence.

To do this, scroll the window to the left in the browser until you see the anamorphic column. All your clips should have a check in that column. If they don't, just click in the column. Also make sure your sequences have a check too (but do this BEFORE you drop clips into a sequence).

Now that will make everything look correct in FCP, but if you play your footage back on a TV or monitor, it will need to be 16:9 compatible or else everything will look squashed.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks a whooleee lot. and thank you for the welcome. hopefully my project will turn out really well.
Brandon Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Welcome to DVinfo Brandon. DV anamorphic is the correct setting if you shot 16:9. From your description it sounds like your clips and sequence have different settings.

To insure that everything agrees, close all projects which are open such that all you see is the menu bar. Now go to Easy Setup and choose the NTSC DV Anamorphic settings. Now start a new project. Any clips, captures or sequences that you create will now have the correct settings. If you have existing clips, make sure they are flagged as anamorphic before dropping them into a sequence.

To do this, scroll the window to the left in the browser until you see the anamorphic column. All your clips should have a check in that column. If they don't, just click in the column. Also make sure your sequences have a check too (but do this BEFORE you drop clips into a sequence).

Now that will make everything look correct in FCP, but if you play your footage back on a TV or monitor, it will need to be 16:9 compatible or else everything will look squashed.
hi,

I did all that you said above, except my camera is a PAL GS500, so i chose the anaphoric PAL.

however, when i check the setting of the sequence, frame size is 720x576, which is not 16 x 9. I thought its fine and i try exporting using quicktime compression, and my the exported files are just 4:3 with my footage being elongated vertically.

what did i do wrong?

tried many time.
Ong Wan Shu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite