Best site for uploading video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

My 2 cents

Best Qualtiy all sizes - Exposure Room - professional networking... low views
Best Public Viewing - Youtube.com - great hd, crummy standard.

Best encoding - DVkitchen to minimize file size / maximize quality

Vimeo - nice networking with hobbiest. Crappy 'nature' sound... ok hd video.
Revver - no HD... snuck in horrible 30 sec "weeds" video ads without telling us... before they had ad words from google after video... stay away!!
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #17
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herman View Post
I find Doug's Vimeo and Kevin's Youtube, both excellent. Pray tell gents, the codecs etc you used to upload. A nice simple upload workflow for dummies would be a gift.
There's nothing really special to tell, but here's more detail that you might want.

For reasons I won't go into here, I shot the air show with a combination of 1080/30P, 720/30P, and 720/24P settings. Most slo-mo clips were done at 720/24P 60fps.

I used the Picture Profile settings that I describe in my DVD and books, an O'connor 1030B head, and my Fujinon HSs 18x5.5 lens -- but no lens filters. Normally when I shoot outside I use a polarizer and a 1/2 grad .6 ND, but in this type of fast-paced shooting, and where I am shooting at all angles to the sun, there is not time to mess around with adjusting filters. Althougth, it would have been nice to darken the sky and really make the clouds pop with the polarizer.

I shot about 2 hours of footage over the course of the day from just one location. I was there with my family, and technically wasn't supposed to be "working" so I never moved around. 2 hours seems like a lot of footage, but the slo-mo clips were recording at 2.5x. As always, I deleted any bad shots on the fly, so I never had to deal with them in post. I've neve been more happy NOT to be shooting on tape.

Created an archive copy of all my BPAV folers with Clip Browser, then created MOV versions with XDCAM Transfer -- while using the subclips function to trim off a lot of the heads and tails and other stuff I knew I'd never need for editing. This step also gave me a chance to review the clips and jot down some notes about them.

I then imported the MOV files into an FCP bin and edited with 720/30P sequence settings. I boosted the saturation a little bit with the 3-way color corrector filter but that was the only filtering applied.

Exported as a full-rez QT movie clip, and then down-converted a copy to H.264 using the settings that Vimeo recommends.
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #18
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Voevodsky View Post
Best Qualtiy all sizes - Exposure Room - professional networking... low views
Best Public Viewing - Youtube.com - great hd, crummy standard.

Best encoding - DVkitchen to minimize file size / maximize quality

Vimeo - nice networking with hobbiest. Crappy 'nature' sound... ok hd video.
Revver - no HD... snuck in horrible 30 sec "weeds" video ads without telling us... before they had ad words from google after video... stay away!!
Greg,
Good information to have. I'll check out Exposure Room when I get home from my trip.
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #19
Major Player

Doug, how important do you classify your 18x lens? The one that comes with the EX-3 is not bad, but I am guessing that your Fujinon cost as much as the EX-3 package that included the lens.

Many experts I have heard say that the glass is extremely important in HD video photography, and is overlooked by many.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

For what it's worth, video hosting is in the works for DV Info Net. We're setting up what we think are some very attractive features and of course it will be free for DV Info Net members. It'll be a pretty big announcement when it's ready to launch.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Doug, thanks for that airshow shoot info. Like to take this opportunity to also thank you for your dvd. Having shot for over 25 years I was new to non tape and the ex3 and had a shoot three days after it arrived. Used my "vortex media" pp and your advice together with a dm shoulder brace and a tiffen steadystick. Five hours and no fatigue. I couldn't believe how at home I felt with the camera. The viewfinder is the greatest gift to these tired old eyes. Only quirk is the peaking knob which goes from nothing to a flood of blue. Cheers for the support!
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #22
Inner Circle

This looks interesting. Unfortunately not much in the way of details but it seems to be based on Amazon S3 "cloud" encoding and serving, pay as you go service. Apparently the cost is file size based and without bandwidth or other data rate, frame size, view limits.

FLV Mate -- put ad-free streaming videos on your web-site, powered by Amazon S3
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #23
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
For what it's worth, video hosting is in the works for DV Info Net. We're setting up what we think are some very attractive features and of course it will be free for DV Info Net members. It'll be a pretty big announcement when it's ready to launch.
This will be a wonderful addition to this forum.

It will make it so much easier to share information.

I guess I will have to wait for intro to get your codec specs.

I would love it if there you would publish some .flv or .mov presets that could be used without re-encoding by you.

Thanks!
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
What is the best site for uploading HD video?

I just used Vimeo for the first time today to upload some airshow footage I shot last Saturday, and I'm not too happy with the way it plays. The picture quality is acceptable, for what I need to use this for, but the frame rate seems stuttery. Any sugestions for a better online service or other tips for better results? I think I followed all the instructions Vimeo provides.

2009 Rhode Island Air Show Highlights on Vimeo
Very nice video Doug.
The planes against the clouds are very nice.
Would love to see the whole F22 rolloer.
Bob
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks, Kevin. The look is pristine.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #26
Trustee

Best by far, sort out an Amazon S3 account and do your own encoding. Low res previews for your S3 based video can be YouTube etc.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I would love it if there you would publish some .flv or .mov presets that could be used without re-encoding by you.
We'll seek some input about this, but we'll definitely have an option to do a direct upload without any re-encoding.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Exported as a full-rez QT movie clip, and then down-converted a copy to H.264 using the settings that Vimeo recommends.
I just upgraded to the Vimeo Plus account. You get to load up to 5 gigs a week of HD, and they do it immediately. The quality looks better than standard, too.

I just put this on there last night 2009 Salida Fireworks Show on Vimeo

I shot it on the EX3 as a test. After having some issues with rolling shutter from flash photographers, I thought the fireworks would come out butt ugly, but as you can see they came out very nice... no trace of rolling shutter. BTW: I used the PP you recommend in your Vortex training DVD, 1/60th, no ND, -3db gain, with the UV filter that's always on.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #29
Inner Circle

The battle of the fireworks shows.

I don't have Plus (yet) so I had to compress this down to 2100kbps (rather than my preferred 5000kbps) and it still looks great on Vimeo in HD

2009 Macy's NYC Fireworks on the Hudson
NYC 4th of July Macy's Fireworks on the Hudson River on Vimeo

ExposureRoom has not such limit so I did encode to 5000kbps and upload and I seem to see more encoding artifacts in the "tough" areas such sky and water and smoke even though my source was over twice the data rate of my upload to Vimeo
NYC July 4 2009 Fireworks on the Hudson River By Craig Seeman On ExposureRoom

I truly expected ExposureRoom to be better. As some people expressed that Exposure looked better I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
I just upgraded to the Vimeo Plus account. You get to load up to 5 gigs a week of HD, and they do it immediately. The quality looks better than standard, too.

I just put this on there last night 2009 Salida Fireworks Show on Vimeo

I shot it on the EX3 as a test. After having some issues with rolling shutter from flash photographers, I thought the fireworks would come out butt ugly, but as you can see they came out very nice... no trace of rolling shutter. BTW: I used the PP you recommend in your Vortex training DVD, 1/60th, no ND, -3db gain, with the UV filter that's always on.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
The battle of the fireworks shows. .
No battle here. The display I posted was a test of the EX3, which with yours should give reassurance to those who worry about rolling shutter and fireworks. I didn't see any in either sample.

Our little display is put on by a volunteer fire department in a Rocky Mountain town (elevation 8,000') of 5,000 people.

The one you shot in NYC is very impressive... probably cost more than our entire county's annual budget.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video