Best site for uploading video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Vortex Media

Best site for uploading video?

What is the best site for uploading HD video?

I just used Vimeo for the first time today to upload some airshow footage I shot last Saturday, and I'm not too happy with the way it plays. The picture quality is acceptable, for what I need to use this for, but the frame rate seems stuttery. Any sugestions for a better online service or other tips for better results? I think I followed all the instructions Vimeo provides.

2009 Rhode Island Air Show Highlights on Vimeo
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Frame rate seems fine to me. I don't see any stuttering. Am on a 4meg ADSL connection. In my opinion the HD video in the paid-for VimeoPlus service gives slightly better quality. This is a quantitative rather than qualitative judgement!
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks fine to me, Try YouTube as well, their new HD version is pretty good.

BTW Nicely done on the filming, looks great
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I was impressed with youtube's hd video, if I go full screen on my 24" monitor it looks really good. I don't think youtube is alone in delivering good quality video - just haven't used the others yet. But since they're free try 'em out...

Here a quick little video I shot the other day on my ex3:

YouTube - LA PALOMA, Tango by Cumberland Winds

don't forget to play it back full screen
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Looks good here too on Verizon Fios hookup - a couple minor stutters but nothing you would complain about - HD quality on the internet didn't exist not too long ago.
Nice shots - I see a lot of my tax dollars flying around and burning out the exhaust pipe though. Fuzzier vision might be better.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just captured some of your video using WebVideoCap.exe , and when I played back the video I had captured it said "video frame rate 30fps", "playing at 30fps" but still saw slight hesitations as if the re-encode was dropping frames a bit like changing from PAL to NTSC, I've noticed some of the older videos I've put on Vimeo are the same and have a hesitancy but the latest have been better, I've just started using Youtube and am very impressed with the HD quality.
Bryan
Bryan Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Thanks for the advice and comments. I have Verizon FIOS, too, but the video still hesitates more than it should even when I'm watching it after it is had fully downloaded on my MacBook Pro. Kevin's Cumberland Winds plays jerky, too, in places. Further testing this afternoon shows that things look a lot better on my MacPro tower, so maybe it is my MacBook. Gonna have to give it a checkup.

I assumed anything with the YouTube brand name on it would be inferior quality, so thanks for the advice on that. I'll take another look. Creating video for the web is not something I know a lot about, and it is time I got up to speed.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5h9-zjRHG8
www.vimeo.com/3904297
These are two I tried from the same bit of filming I think the Youtube is just as good as the Vimeo and what I like about Youtube it gives you a choice of the photo it will display and you get far more hits although the Youtube videos I have downloaded are shorter so it could be people only like less than 1 min videos and soon get board.
Bryan
Bryan Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Exposure Room

Hi Doug,

You should check out Exposure Room-video plays back much smoother and transcodes from quicktime much nicer than Vimeo (I think Vimeo also converts everything to 24fps, your favorite framerate). Vimeo seems to receive more traffic than Exposure Room, though.

You can also reorder your videos on your Exposure Room page which you can't do on Vimeo. Youtube is nice quality but seems to lag in HD mode-but one nice feature is that video will play back on iPhones as well.

Cheers,
Gerry

digitalkilnstudios.com
Gerry Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Vimeo now uses 30fps H.264 for NTSC video (25fps for PAL, 24fps if you shoot at that rate).
They changed from 24fps VP6 about a month or so ago.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Doug, I think Windows Media Player HD might be a good way to go when uploading HD footage, even on Vimeo.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Inner Circle

H.264 is the most efficient highest quality codec around these days. It's better than Windows Media. Hunt around for many of Jan Ozer's codec tests on StreamingMedia. Even MICROSOFT Silverlight 3 (in beta) supports H.264 now.

YouTube, Vimeo, ExposureRoom all now use H.264 up to 30fps for Flash at 720p size. They don't all use the same encoding method or data rate though. In addition they seem to be prone to different server side issues. You might try uploading the exact same file to each and view.

I tend to encode at 720p29.97 at 5000kbps. They seem to re-encode to about 1500-2500kbps. YouTube video shows peaks up to 4000kbps but that might cause stutters and freezes from some depending on their internet connection and the computer's cache and decode ability.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
I was impressed with youtube's hd video, if I go full screen on my 24" monitor it looks really good. I don't think youtube is alone in delivering good quality video - just haven't used the others yet. But since they're free try 'em out...

Here a quick little video I shot the other day on my ex3:

YouTube - LA PALOMA, Tango by Cumberland Winds

don't forget to play it back full screen
Kevin, this looks great, very sharp, and the compression is hardly evident at all.

What format/codec did you compress to for posting this? H.264 per Craig's info?
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I find Doug's Vimeo and Kevin's Youtube, both excellent. Pray tell gents, the codecs etc you used to upload. A nice simple upload workflow for dummies would be a gift.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #15
Major Player

I went right from the EX video in FCP to Compressor's default H.264 setting. Everything's at 1080p - 24fps. Then up to YouTube.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video