DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Various Firestore questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/17263-various-firestore-questions.html)

David Mesloh November 18th, 2003 01:21 AM

Various Firestore questions

Just returned from New Mexico where I DP'd an Indie short. I shot with the XL-1 attached to a FS-1 Firestore system and a 200 Gig Firewire drive. At the end of the production, I transfered the AVI files to the directors fire wire drive gave her the tapes and came home. Now I have a backup copy of all the takes for my reel,
she has the master tapes and the files ready to edit on NLE. I love this product. We watched the days shoot each night and knew if we had any problems right then. We could also playback the last take without rewindingthe tape and screwing up the time code.

Totally worth the money in saved time alone.

David Mesloh

Don Berube February 3rd, 2004 09:59 PM

FireStore FS-3 Wins a 5 Star Review and DV AWARD OF EXCELLENCE from DV Magazine

A big CONGRATULATIONS to Focus Enhancements! The FireStore FS-3 received a total of 5 Stars (out of 5 Stars) and the DV AWARD OF EXCELLENCE in the March 2004 "Shooting For Broadcast" issue of DV Magazine with a cover heading of "Focus Enhancements FS-3 Gets Disk Recording Right".

Quoting the summary of the review from DV Magazine: "...the FS-3 rises above the pure cost equation to become a multi-purpose tool easily worth the price and could even change the way you look at the world around you."

Look for the online version of the article to appear in the coming weeks at DV.com.

Way to go Focus Enhancements!

- don

Anton Sushcinsky April 13th, 2004 07:44 AM

Dsr-370p&fs-3

Does someone use sony dsr-370p with firestore fs-3 as external recorder?

George Bean July 12th, 2004 08:22 AM

frequency

This may be another of those things that only happen to me.

At a wedding this past Saturday I powered on the firestore fs-3 and immediately heard a static/interference on the church sound system. The church had several vhf receivers powered on and active on the audio board.

The receiver conflicting with the fs-3 was a Samson vhf channel 8 frequency of 196.6. The transmitter was off. I was within 15 feet of the receiver and audio board. Has anyone else encountered this?

The wireless was not in use for the wedding so I was able to power down the receiver. I am concerned if this should happen again and if there are other frequencies in question.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Bean

Kirk Candlish July 13th, 2004 02:31 AM

Tape for backup advised with FS-1 ?

OK, I did a search and read a bunch of threads but didn't find much info.

I have a two camera shoot coming up to cover a conference. One talking head and then audience questions. Cameras will be a PD-150 and a PD-170 and I'd love to go tapeless for continuity. Since both cameras will be on tripods and won't move the FS-1 sounds like a good option.

I'm wondering if the FS-1 has proven reliable enough to forgo shooting tape as a backup ?

I see 1 post from yesterday saying that an FS-1 produced corrupted files and tape was advisable.

Anyone else have corrupted files from the FS-1 ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Marco Leavitt February 1st, 2005 09:25 AM

Canon to distribute FireStore

February 01, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Canon USA to Distribute FireStore FS-4 DV Disk Recorder from FOCUS Enhancements for Mini-DV Camcorders

The Canon XL2 Mini-DV camcorder with the FireStore FS-4 from FOCUS Enhacements. (Photo: Business Wire)

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 1, 2005--

Camcorders Can Now Save Time With The New FireStore FS-4 And FS-4 Pro Direct To Edit(TM) (DTE) Recording Device

Canon U.S.A., Inc. today announced another solution for filmmakers, documentarians and videographers by becoming a distributor of the FireStore FS-4 DTE digital video-disk recorder from FOCUS Enhancements. The FireStore FS-4 and accessories will be sold through Canon U.S.A. Authorized video dealers beginning in February.

A companion for Canon prosumer camcorders, the FS-4 recorder enables DV streams to be recorded to the unit with or without a MiniDV tape inserted. Footage is recorded as edit ready files that can be imported and used immediately by most DV based non-linear editing systems, saving time, and providing a backup. The FS-4 recorder will be available in a 40GB (approximately 3 hours) model, While the FS-4 Pro recorder, which offers more advanced features will be available in 40GB and 80GB (approximately 6 hours) configurations.

"One of our main objectives for users of Canon's prosumer camcorders such as the XL2 and GL2 has always been to expand the creative visions of filmmakers," said Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manger, consumer imaging group, Canon U.S.A., Inc, a subsidiary of Canon, Inc. (NYSE:CAJ). "The DTE technology in the FS-4 recorder meets the very stringent requirements set by our consumers, which is why we chose to work with Focus Enhancements."

"Canon selecting FireStore Direct To Edit Technology for their disk recording needs is an important alliance for FOCUS Enhancements," said David O'Kelly, vice president of business development for FOCUS Enhancements. " We are excited that we will be further extending our acquisition solutions to Canon's broad base of creative professionals, and we look forward to a successful alliance."

The FS-4 Pro recorder adds support for the Avid OMF and Pinnacle AVI formats, and retro record modes for backup. Other features include a user definable time lapse, loop playback, scene marking, and multiple file capabilities.

The new FireStore FS-4 recorder will be available in February for the manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $799* for the standard 40GB model, while the FS-4 Pro model will be available for an MSRP of $1,195* for the 40GB model, and $1,695* MSRP for the 80GB model.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. The Company is listed as one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies in America and is rated #35 on the BusinessWeek list of "Top 100 Brands." Its parent company Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ) is a top patent holder of technology, ranking third overall in the U.S. in 2004, with global revenues of $33.3 billion. For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.

About FOCUS Enhancements, Inc.

FOCUS Enhancements, Inc. (NASDAQ SC: FCSE) is a leading designer of world-class solutions in advanced, proprietary video technology. Headquartered in Campbell, CA, FOCUS Enhancements designs, develops, and markets video solutions in two distinct markets: advanced, proprietary video conversion ICs (Integrated Circuits) and affordable, high quality, digital-video conversion and video production equipment. Semiconductor products (ICs) include designs for PCs, Game Cards, Internet TV, set-top boxes, Internet appliances, and interactive TV applications, and they are sold directly to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). FOCUS' complete line of video presentation and video production devices are sold globally through resellers and distributors to the video production and Home Theater markets. More information on FOCUS Enhancements may be obtained from the company's SEC filings, or by visiting the FOCUS Enhancements home page at FOCUSinfo.com.

All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

Specifications are subject to change with notice.

Canon products must be purchased separately.

*All prices are set by the individual dealer and may vary.
Contacts
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Editorial:
Deborah Szajngarten, 516-328-5186
dszajngarten@cusa.canon.com
or
Geoff Coalter, 516-328-4288
gcoalter@cusa.canon.com
or
For sales info/customer support:
1-800-OK-CANON
ccenter@cits.canon.com
or
Canon U.S.A. Web site:
http://www.usa.canon.com
www.canondv.com.com
At A Glance

Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Headquarters: Lake Success, New York
CEO: Kinya Uchida
Employees: Over 10,000
Organization: U.S. Subsidiary

Source: via Business Wire
Updated 08/26/2003 by company
Company Information Center

Terms of Use | © Business Wire 2005

David Yuen March 18th, 2005 12:23 AM

Description of Retro Cache?

On what page of the User Guide is Retro Cache described? I was able to find a detailed description of Retro Disk on page 32, but could only find a brief instruction on how to adjust Retro Cache on page 33.

Mihnea De Vries April 17th, 2005 05:57 AM

does FS4 work with Panasonic DVX102AE?

i own a DVX102AE (Manufacturer SKU: AGDVX102AE) and i want to know if FS4 si compatible with this PAL version of DVX100A.

I understand that there is a PAL version of FS4, and i want to know if can record 25p becouse the DVX102AE has a 25p mode not 24p mode as NTSC version.

Can FS4 PAL version record 25p AVI or 25p quicktime files?

Mihnea de Vries

David Bird April 23rd, 2005 09:01 AM

Need Help - Fs-1?

I have a couple of industrial shoots coming up....the concept of shooting, bringing a device back to my office and not having to transfer footage really, really sounds like workflow heaven...BUT..while the FS-3 is probably the best solution, my budget just won't allow it...
I have a Pana AG-DVC200....and I'm wondering about the FS-1. All of the stuff I will be shooting is tripod based...no run and gun...a lot of the footage will be testimonials - interior based - some will be outside shots...a general mix. A couple of questions...

1. How "portable" is portable...I understand that there is a "belt loop" in the FS-1 case...anyone ever actually worn one of these while working...if so, does it get cumbersome
2. What about if you do shoot while walking...any problems with the normal jolts from walking...dropped frames, etc.
3. Compatibility with Vegas 5....seems I read somewhere that there might be issues with the FS-1 and Vegas 5
4. I'm seeing "closeout special" pricing...does this mean the FS-1 is going away and if so, should that deter me from purchasing this unit...
5. Lastly, (sorry for all the questions) I've seen posts that indicate problems with a number of different drives recommended for this unit...Is it going to be a major hassle to find a drive that actually works...

I appreciate any and all input from those of you that might assist...

David Bird

George Johnston June 15th, 2005 04:35 PM

FS-4 two months later...the good and the bad

A 2.5 hour show takes just 16 mins to load onto a SATA drive thats the good news...
The bad news...

1. I dar'nt leave the battery connected to the unit or the FS-4 can be accidently powered on if it leans against something, this in my opinnion is a serious design flaw as the FS-4 could fry inside it's holder in my case a red pouch.

2. The battery is far to stiff and takes a screw driver in order to prize it off.

3. When I connect the drive to my Mac via the external power supply I get a 1 min power warning and it switches itself off...this is cured if I connect the power supply 1st.

4. I had a DV cable go down on me and can I add it has had little use and no abuse.

Arnaldo Paixao July 11th, 2005 02:56 AM

Unable to Update Firmware.

Tried to update the firmware on a FS4 Ser. N: 002640, from Ver. 1.0.0.04022205 to 1.0.0.04042605.

I get the following message:
"UPGRADE ERROR - WRONG PRODUCT ID"

Matt McEwen, can you help?

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Mark Geiser July 11th, 2005 04:31 AM

Firmware Upgrade on Pro made it noisier !

I have to say that after I upgraded my Fs4 Pro 80GB version it is now far more noisier. Before the fan hardly seemed to come on and during 2 weddings it never was an issue (although I dont have it mounted on the camera).

For those that have been following my posts, you will know that I have always said that my 80GB fs4 was nothing like the 40GB version in terms of fan noise, I have hardly ever noticed it on, and if left idle it never really came on, where as now it does. :-(

The Fan seems to come on after 39c and indeed goes off at 39C if you blow into the bottom of the unit to cool it..

All being said I prefered the previous firmware !!!!

Mark

Ron Edwards July 11th, 2005 06:27 PM

GY-DV5100 & DR-DV5000

I read this combo is good for 10 minutes continous recording. What happens after 10 minutes when the action does not stop?

Shane Reeves July 12th, 2005 01:39 AM

What HDD/enclosure brand and model for FS-1?

Having problems with finding a drive / enclosure combination that will work with my FS-1.
Can anyone give me a brand and model number of a 2.5" HDD firewire enclosure combination (hopefully I can get here in Australia)?

I have had a few problems with getting my FS-1 going (see Thread titled no video no audeo). I have not given up and now would like to try a HDD exactly the same as another that does work on other FS-1s'.

Am looking forward to hearing from you, and thanks for your attention.

Regards
Shane Reeves
Geelong
Australia

Robert Mackman July 16th, 2005 01:31 AM

FS-1 Playback

Has anyone experienced problems with playing back clips from the FS-1?
Every 30 seconds or so the clips jumps back a few frames.
This only happens with units with version 2.3.3 firmware. I also have a unit with 2.3.1 which works fine. Unfortunately 2.3.3 units must have a hardware difference as I cannot back rev the firmware. I sent a unit back to Focus and it was returned, after a couple of months, with exactly the same fault.
My units are PAL.

Robert