DR-DV5000 with GY-DV500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 28th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Tourist

DR-DV5000 with GY-DV500

Does anyone have experience using DR-DV5000 with GY-DV500? Because some functions aren't working, maybe make sense to wait for FS-4?

Thanks,
Alex
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alex,

What is not working? Maybe I can help. Also, have you contacted Focus tech support at support@focusinfo.com or at 408-370-9963?

Regards,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Tourist

DR-DV5000 with GY-DV500

This is my conversation with focusinfo customer support:

Questions:

I'd like to buy DR-DV5000 for my GY-DV500 camcorder, but I heard that there are a lot of limitation when it used with GY-DV500.

Q1. What functions are really work and what don't.

Q2. Have you recommend to by DR-DV5000 for use with GY-DV500?

Answer:

Dear Sir ,
The DRDV5000 was developed in conjunction with the JVC GYDV 5001/5001 .
All the features are utelized wuhen you would have that camera.
With any other camera ( no matter what brand ) you won't have that.
The major difference is the tapeless operation when you have the 5000 camera.

You are still able to slave the DRDV5000 to the GY-DV500.

Questions:

Thank you for prompt response. But unfortunately, I did not get answer I expect.

I understand that Not all function will work. Tapeless function is not an issue for me, because the main reason I want DR is for redundancy. But what happen if tape comes to en and or stuck inside the mechanism. Should DR-DV500 continue to operate or what happen. Sorry, but this kind of questions I'm interested in.

Answer:

If it gets stuck or jamms or the tape runs out , the DR DV 5000 will stop recording.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comments:
Basically, I'd like to know specifically, what functions will not work with GY-DV500. For instance, I already know that I will not have display information in the GY-DV500 viewfinder, etc.
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4
Tourist

DR-DV5000 with GY-DV500

And one more question.
Will DR-DV500 record from GY-DV500 if camcorder in the standby mode and no tape (or tape in, but Rec button wasn't pushed)?

Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Hi Alex,

Here is the main differences between DR-DV5000 operation on a JVC GY-DV5000/-5001 and a GY-DV500/-550/-700.

* Using Syncro Slave, it is possible to trigger record and record pause on DR-DV5000 from the GY-DV5000 with or without a tape present. On the DV500, a tape must be present to trigger record on DR-DV.

* Using the Split Slave Mode, it is possible to trigger rec/rec-pause on DR-DV separate to the camcorder's tape transport from the DV5000's front and side VTR button.

* System status of the DR-DV is displayed in the DV5000's EVF. This feature does not exist on DV500.

* Using the 52-pin connector, DR-DV mounts to the DV5000 without a FireWire cable. The DV500 requires a FireWire cable.

* The Dump to Disk and Dump To Tape features only operate on DR-DV with a DV5000. This allows you to automatically record the content of a tape to disk or vice versa.

* Series Record - where at X number of minutes before a tape ends, DR-DV will begin recording - is only available with a DV5000. If a tape ends while recording with a DV5000, DR-DV will continue to record while the tape is changed. On the DV500, DR-DV will stop.

* Power Management - If power is shut off on the DV5000 and DR-DV is not yet ready to shut down, the DV5000 will wait until DR-DV has shut down before powering down. This prevents corrupt files.

Hope that helps,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Focus Enhancements

And one more question.
Will DR-DV500 record from GY-DV500 if camcorder in the standby mode and no tape (or tape in, but Rec button wasn't pushed)?

Forgot to answer this one...as long as the camcorder is on (tape or no tape), it is possible to record to DR-DV5000. The FireWire (DV) port on the camcorder always outputs video. You will have to control DR-DV5000 from its front panel however.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore