XL-H1a/fs-cf pro - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: XL-H1a/fs-cf pro

I saw where they have a handle mount bracket (a bit rich at $100) but I normally mount an LED light or my Azden wireless receiver on the top shoe and I'm concerned the FS would be in the way. It wouldn't make it off balance, at least. I would expect the off-balance thing would also get in the way of any kind of glide-cam/steady cam activity.
Tim Trott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Yes, definitely, however, typically, a glidecam would mount directly to the camera.... without any brackets. The top handle mount adds the additional weight to the already front heavy camera. If I could do aluminum welding.... I could make the perfect bracket for this camera!! So far, I really like this bracket!
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #18
New Boot

My balance comment was related to the weight distribution comment (right side).

I came up with a custom attachment that gives me a cold shoe mount on the left below the LCD screen, which is where I put either a light or the wireless receiver, depending on the situation.whether I need direct or indirect on-camera lighting ("run and gun" and people wearing glasses, for example). It attaches between the camera and a monopod or fig-rig style holder, for example using a male/female screw in with a rubber gasket that I stumbled into.
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #19
New Boot

Thanks everyone for your help on the XL-H1a/FS-CF Pro question.

I've been off the grid for several days and and am new to forum-ing as well... wonderful support.
Chris Weinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Trott View Post
...I came up with a custom attachment that gives me a cold shoe mount on the left below the LCD screen, which is where I put either a light or the wireless receiver, depending on the situation.whether I need direct or indirect on-camera lighting ("run and gun" and people wearing glasses, for example). It attaches between the camera and a monopod or fig-rig style holder, for example using a male/female screw in with a rubber gasket that I stumbled into.
Tim, do you think you could post a photo or two? Would love to see what you describe.
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Weinmann View Post
Thanks everyone for your help on the XL-H1a/FS-CF Pro question.

I've been off the grid for several days and and am new to forum-ing as well... wonderful support.
No problem Chris, I was actually getting a little concerned that there weren't any others contemplating the FS-CF DTEs... with the XH cameras. I am liking it so far... will be upgrading to the Pros next week.
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stembridge View Post
Tim, do you think you could post a photo or two? Would love to see what you describe.
The main element is one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/179985-REG/Sony_VCTS30L_VCT_S30L_Cold_Shoe_Adapter.html which I picked up at a garage sale or something. The screw on most monopods doesn't seem to be long enough to feel safe so I ran across a strange male/female adapter with photo threads to solve that problem (shown in the inset below). I use this rig in a kind of run-and-gun mode for interviews at trade shows (YouTube - Resnet 2011 - PENTAIR).

I also came up with a nifty little dolly rig using parts from a "granny" walker I spotted in a thrift store for $10. YouTube - Granny-Cam walker Dolly - It's for doing real estate videos. I'm planning on trying it out on a condo shoot in the next week or so. I have used a DIY fig rig, a monopod with a 5 lb dumbbell weight on the bottom and various other steadycam/merlin concepts with limited success.
Attached Thumbnails
XL-H1a/fs-cf pro-rigdemo.png  
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #23
New Boot

OK, I bought the FS-CF Pro and I'm facing the problem that started this thread. I'm thinking in the area of a holster meant for a two-way radio, but so far none of them are wide enough. The firewire cable that comes with the FS-CF Pro is OK for on camera mounting but too short to be practical for pocket or holster carry, but I have another cable for that. A top shoe mount idea doesn't seem practical, considering the size and weight of the FS-CF Pro.

Having trouble getting the wi-fi "dongle" to work also. They have templates for Avid and FCP, but not Premiere so far...

To be continued....
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I had gotten a floor model from Adorama; but noticed a few problems after a couple weeks and returned it. I have been impressed with the bracket I ordered from the BEH group (DVCAMB-HD) It was a little pricey; but gives great areas for the FS-CF, and a wireless. Velcro is what I use. I will order another FS-CF, this time a new one though. Plan on getting a Pro as well.
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #25
New Boot

I bought the Pro from B & H and a sheet in the manual said to install the latest software from the Focus web site. After I installed it, the menu was gone and I had to send it back to B&H for replacement. I found the thumb wheel difficult to work. Before I messed it up by following instructions it made good video. The Firewire cable it came with is a bit short unless the unit is close to the camera, but not any further than that. I'll check out the bracket you suggested. I also thought about maybe modifying a holster form a two-way radio.

I got the wi-fi "dongle" and had problems keeping it connected when going to different menus. It has te
mplates for TCP and Avid but not for Premiere. Focus said they've had some issues with it. I guess some of those issues still need to be worked out, hopefully in the next firmware update.

Like everyone with a large DV tape camera investment, I'm trapped by the fact that computer manufacturers have sadly abandoned fireware, although I am looking forward to escaping the real-time downloads. It's pretty much the Focus or another $6,000 investment. The other DTE's either don't seem that impressive or don't like Canon rigs. Is that your view?

That's as far as I got. It seems like a sturdy, albeit a tad heavy. I'm wondering if I would have been happier with the hard drive (not pro) version instead.

I had occasion to talk to the people from the factory and they're open and nice to talk to, which is a welcome change from dealing with overseas support.

When I get it all together I'm thinking about doing one of those "open the box and try it out" YouTube things.
Tim Trott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore