DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/77831-fs4-fs4-pro-hd-various-topics.html)

Don Berube May 19th, 2005 12:37 PM

The JVC GY-DV500 does have a 4-pin FireWire connection. Although I have not used a GY-DV500, I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be compatible with the FireStore FS-4.

- don

Matt McEwen May 20th, 2005 11:17 AM

Hi Alan,

DR-DV5000 will work fine with the GY-DV500, although it will not have some of the features that only work with the GY-DV5000/-5100 such as FireStore viewfinder status, special control modes, cabless operation etc. Each DR-DV5000 ships with an adapter plate for the -500.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Gary Bettan June 15th, 2005 12:27 PM

Focus FireStore FS-4 availability update

First we would like to thank all of our FS4 customers for their patience! Focus has been overwhelmed by the immediate demand for this exciting new product and have run into minor production problems causing further delays.

We had a big shipment of FS4 Pro 80Gb and FS4 Pro 40Gb units arrive today and we were able to fill all back-orders and we finally have inventory for immediate shipment! Although the free field kit offer with the FS4 Pro has expired we are still offering the FREE HDV upgrade and FREE DV Converter software. The Field Kits may be added to your purchase for only $100.

We are also expecting a big shipment of regular FS4 units early next week and will fill back-orders first-come, first-serve, as soon as they arrive.

Please note: Focus is still experiencing shortages on the FS4/FS4 Pro batteries so all field kits will be shipped with the mounting brackets alone and the additional battery will be shipped separately as soon as they come in. This will not affect the FS4s themselves and all units will include the originally packaged battery.

Gary
http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

Ray Liffen June 27th, 2005 01:26 AM

The FS-4 that wouldn't turn off

The FS-4 was used last Saturday to record a show that overran, so the disk was completely filled. It was on a remote-control camera in the middle of the audience so I couldn't turn it off until the show was over. I put it in Stop but it wasn't turned right off when the power lead was removed and it was packed away. Unloading when I got back, I could hear the fan working hard so I took it out and it was running on battery power. However, I couldn't turn it off. I held down the Stop button as usual but no beeps. I left it to cool down but an hour later it was still running and still couldn't be turned off. The 'Status' LED glowed red, meaning (according to the handbook) Record mode.

As it was now 1.30 in the morning all I could do was to leave it on the workbench while I went to bed. In the morning the battery was flat and it had stopped. With trepidation I powered it up. Whew! No lost files!

So all's well that ends well, but has anyone else encountered this 'won't turn off' feature?

Ray Liffen

Mark Geiser June 27th, 2005 03:33 AM

Yes I have, I had to pull the battery off in the end...I has not done it since though.

Mark

Mathew Hamilton Green July 8th, 2005 02:41 PM

Tapeless recording with FS4 and the Z1

Hi
Does anyone know if you can record without tape on the Z1 to a FS4??
cheers
mat

Gary Bettan July 14th, 2005 12:07 PM

Focus FireStore FS-4 IN STOCK & getting GREAT reviews

FS-4s are still on allocation, but as of today we will have inventory of all models! We have both FS4Pro 40Gb & FS4 Pro 80Gb units in stock. We just checked with UPS and we have a pretty big shipment of standard FS-4s ( and FS-4s with Field Kits) scheduled to arrive this afternoon.

Demand is still very strong and we are selling FS-4s as fast as we get them. While we have inventory now, we expect to be out of stock by the middle of next week. We are still experiencing shortages of extra batteries.

Over the past couple of months the reviews are starting to pour in and the decision is unanimous – FireStore FS-4 is a winner!

- EventDV Magazine gives FOCUS Enhancements FireStore FS-4 - Editor’s Choice Award “The FS-4 sets a new standard for digital disk recorders, combining the FireStore line’s peerless feature set with a competitive price point and a compact form factor that makes it a good match for top prosumer handheld camcorders from Canon, Sony, and Panasonic.”
- Digital Media Net (DMN): Tapeless Acquisition in the Palm of Your Hand “Wedding Videographers, EFP, indie filmmakers, sports, and corporate productions will love this unit. “
- DV Magazine FireStore FS-4 review: "Compact, with great battery integration. Huge, bright, readable LCD. Records directly into many NLE codecs."

For more FS-4 info, to order, or to check out the reviews above follow this link http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

Gary

Ray Liffen July 20th, 2005 12:43 AM

You CAN record from a tapeless Z1 if the FS-4 is Local mode ie manual record start.

You CAN'T record from a tapeless Z1 in Synchro Slave mode (no tape = no triggers)

The above statements are also true of the Z1's ancestors like the VX2000/2100 and the PD150/PD170.

Until the HDV firmware upgrade is available. the FS-4 will only record from the camera's 1394 socket if a) the Z1/FX1 is set to DV mode or b) the Z1/FX1 is set to HDV mode but HDV/DV downconvert is selected (ie you can simultaniously record HDV on a tape and DV on an FS-4 - very useful if you want to edit DV for the present and stockpile HDV for the future)

Ray Liffen

Mathew Hamilton Green July 20th, 2005 07:03 PM

HI
If I connect my Apple Laptop via Firewire to the Z1 could I then record tapeless?

Boyd Ostroff July 20th, 2005 07:17 PM

You should be able to record on your mac with BTV Pro, but only in DV or downconvert mode:

http://www.bensoftware.com/btvpro.html

I don't know... maybe FCP 5 would record HDV directly from firewire? I'm still running 4.5.

Dennis Allen July 26th, 2005 01:12 PM

FireStore FS-4

I have installed the new firmware onto my firestore. I cannot get it to record using the camera functions (Canon XL2 has DV control set to on) stop/start buttons. I have the firestore functions and control set to sync, i just can't seem to get it to work. Can anyone direct me to a step by step set up with the firestore on the XL2 can some one help or would your suggestion be to call focus enhancements support.

thanks

Daniel Kohl July 28th, 2005 02:09 AM

I would suggest that you try doing this with a tape in the camera, in case you are not at the moment. You might also try following a strict order of turning turning the devices on. For example, turn the XL2 on and then boot the FS-4. If that doesn't help then contact Focus.

I'm sorry that I am guessing, but I don't own an XL2, and the FS-4 I am using is not reliable anymore because I have done a lot of experimenting on it.

I'm just curious, but did the FS-4 function how you wanted it to before you updated the firmware?

Brian Eakins August 3rd, 2005 05:15 PM

FS4-PRO > (4) CH. of audio > Avid OMF

It seems that transferring from the Firestore to my computer (HP) results in a loss of channels 3 & 4 audio channels.

I'm using a Canon XL2 for record.

I've checked playback from the Firestore in VCR mode on the camera, and I can hear all (4) channels, but they are not transferring properly.

If it's not the transfer then I am assuming Avid is not recognizing all (4) channels of audio.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!

Daniel Kohl August 4th, 2005 03:05 AM

Check this thread,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47051

or search using, FS-4 audio, as a search criteria.

Brian Eakins August 4th, 2005 09:29 AM

Daniel,

Thanks for chiming in.

I did read your post, the software does not work for OMF for Avid.

Jim Olsen @ Focus Enhancements is looking into this for me/ us.

It clearly states in the user guide that the FS4-pro records (4) channels of audio; which it does.

The problem seems to be transferring or software needs a tweak...stay tuned.