HDV is completely broken - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Closed Thread

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM   #91
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
From my perspective that's just CYA by both companies since it's not on the official site and Sony does not refer to it or support it. 24F does not equal 24p on the JVC, so how do you call it HDV2 with a straight face?
Sony refers to iLink, yet it's still FireWire. Sony is in its own world. They may never actually put it in any of their marketing material, but yes Sony is HDV2 and yes they do refer to HDV2 in their sales training material.

Every single PowerPoint about HDV I've ever seen from JVC, Canon and Sony, all refer to HDV1 and HDV2. All of 'em. So yes I can say it with a straight face and do so all the time, because that's what it is. And that's exactly how we're going to continue to refer to it here, by the way, and you really need to understand that.

By the way, 24F does equal 24P. 24F looks like 24P, edits like 24P, and is now part of the HDV specification like 24P. It pretty much is 24P. All of this "sky is falling" nonsense about playback compatibility and capture issues will disappear and become moot in due time as hardware and software support for it becomes available.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:19 AM   #92
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Crisdale
And there was me thinking that this "storm in a teacup", "HDV is Broken", run around in circles screaming because we don't know what to do with ourselves nonsense, had been consigned to the "isn't it time to move on and discuss something meaningful" graveyard it so richly deserved...
I agree wholeheartedly. This thing is cooked to a crisp. I'm not wasting any more time on closed minds. If I wrote off a particular format, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time ranting and railing about it; instead I'd find more productive things to discuss. Geez... if you don't like something, why dwell on it, unless you're convinced that because you don't like it, nobody else should either. And that's a mentality I can't abide.

I think we need a new rule: you can't whizz on something here unless you've actually used it.

This thread is completely broken... therefore it's closed. Whew.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition