Helping Hands from 2003 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #31
Wrangler

Shooter needed for May 19th gig

I need a shooter with a digital camera with the equvalent of PD150/VX2000 low-light capabilities for approximately 5 hours starting about 9 AM on this .

Location is Dixon, CA High School and Dixon Coroner's office.

Production is the taping of an "Every 15 Minutes" program to be held at that HS.

Story is as follows:

Drunk student driver car crashes into a tree. One student 'killed', one critically injured, two moderately injured.

'Dead' student is transported to Coroner's office where they are toe-tagged and placed into the cold storage room.

The critical student is air evacuated to the ER.

The other two are transported by Ambulance.

I've done one of these and they can be emotional even though everything is an act. However, they are proven to save lives.

Your duties are to shoot video on the field along with myself and then document the 'dead' student's trip and processing at the morgue. The conclusion will be an interview of the 'dead' student. Each of us will have an college film program student assistant and a student shadow from the Dixon HS film program. The college student will interview the 'dead' student which you will document.

A third shooter will be pre-positioned at UC Davis Medical Center to tape the arrival of the Life Flight helicopter with the critical student. That student will be treated in the ER and succumb to his/her injuries. The parents will arrive and be notified by an ER physician. All of this will be documented.

The other two students will arrive by ambulance and be treated in the ER.

Post this, the three students will be interviewed by another college student.

As a shooter, you need to use good camera techniques with an ability to properly expose well-focused shots in an outdoor, fast-moving action and then seque into the trip to the morgue and the action in the morgue.

Pay is $30 per hour with a 4 hour minimum (Likely to be at least 5 hours) plus direct expenses. I will supply Sony tape. Lunch is a bit hard to handle during this event so eat before you arrive. I'll supply snacks and water. Call time is 9 AM.

You also get credit and maybe a gig to do this somewhere else. I got this one because I participated in another "Every 15 Minutes".

It is a worthwhile activity. You can see more details at www.every15minutes.com
Old April 28th, 2003, 08:01 AM   #32
Trustee

Daniel,

If you expand to Japan (where golf is a religion not just a sport), I and my XL1 wourld be glad to help out.
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #33

former Resorts Sports Network shooter...

Hi Daniel,

Feel free to keep me in mind for any upcoming project of yours. I used to shoot for Resort Sports Network (rsn.com) in the Mount Washington Valley of New Hampshire. Shot a lot of outdoor sports year round, including Golf. Fun fun fun!

I am based in Boston right now and I do travel & work frequently around the US. I have all of my own gear too. I often times shoot with my XL1S, as well as other higher-end DVCam camcorders and also BetaCam. I can also assist with location scouting, hiring crew members and field Producing, should you ever have the need.

Do check out my bio or send me an email (listed below).

Looking forward,

- don
don@noisybrain.com
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old April 28th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #34
ChorizoSmells

Daniel,
same goes for us in Osaka, my friend and I have an XL-1 & XL-1s combo and I know another japanese guy who has a pair like us, so 4 xl-1's here in Osaka.
Old April 29th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #35
Trustee

Dan, I am very interested. I upgraded from Canon XL-1 to the XL-1s. I live in Atlanta and getting ready to retire in two years. Love golf, travel, and video! I am attending the ALS golf outing this summer to video it for a friend of mine that is helping to organize it. Bob Safay
Old April 29th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #36
Major Player

Sounds like a great op. Kinda bummed I'm so far away.
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #37
Capt. Quirk

I feel the same as Mark... I would love to do it, but... I doubt travel is included? It does seem to be a hectic paced shoot though, and definately emotionally charged.
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #38
Slash Rules!

Come to Houston and hire me!
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #39
Wrangler

It would be really fast paced but everything is done serially because the students need to focus on everything that happens.

I've gotten them to allow me to shoot the morgue scene the week before so we can avoid having too many people moving around.

The emotions can be very strong. You know you are in a play but the scene is usually very strong and tugs at a lot of emotional strings. Which is the whole point of trying to teach high school students that they are not immortal and death hurts more than just the dead.
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #40
Obstreperous Rex

Mike

I edited the title of your post to include "in Bay area" as I figured you're probably limited to resources there in the San Francisco or Oakland area... right?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Hey all,

accutally i am posting this as i have just finished partaking in a every 15 minutes filming (in addition to my camera work, i am also a vol. firefighter!)

it is a very worth-while cause and emotions do run strong, we had quite a few girls crying at the site of their classmates being placed into body bags on the accident ground.

One word of caution, this is truely a very faced paced event, and retakes are hard to come by (its a little hard to reassemble a car after its introduction the jaws of life!) today's film crew consisted of 3 camera's (2 xl1s, and the new JVC 1ccd camera)

my only complaint is that i wish i was filming today instead being in the film! good luck to who ever does this, you will not regret it!

~Mike
Old April 30th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I'm in AZ and always ready.
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #43
Major Player

Hey amn, I am near West Palm. Soon to have the GL2.
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #44
Regular Crew

to close off this thread: i've got a location now (downtown LA) :) Hope to shoot over a weekend in Aug 03.
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #45
Wrangler

Thanks everyone. I have my crew selected and will dry-run the scene on Monday, shoot the following Monday. Now I can only hope that the rain here in NorCal has stopped for the year.

Thanks again.

Mike
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands