Helping Hands from 2007 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Devon;
I'm a little further north, Seattle, but I own my own production company and love to collaborate on projects. I have my own XL H1 and a lot of other gear. I have clients in Albany and Corvallis. Give my site a look. Barry
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #107
Major Player

Yeah, that is the downside - it throws a really big net. I have gotten some really high-quality actors that way, but I've also gotten a lot of complete amateurs. I did get a professional dominatrix last time who came out for a role... made a great story at least.

Between Craigslist and the local actors newsletter - I got twice the number from Craigslist, but twice the contenders from the newsletter.

I'd suggest setting up an audition, and asking people to submit a headshot and resume to be selected for a timeslot. That at least puts people on notice that you expect people who are prepared, and then lets you separate the chaff before you have to see them.

Good luck.
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #108
New Boot

Need a 35mm adapter in NJ

Hello,

I'm shooting a short and I'm looking for someone with a 35mm adapter to help me with this project. There is no pay for the day yet I will give you a copy of the short and food.

-Look if you love to shoot and be anywhere where a production is taking place send me an e mail I could use the help. It will be fun and the project will have that many more folks at the screening.

Shoot date: Sunday Feb 25
format: DVX 100a 24p (miniDV)

email: jay_zero1@yahoo.com
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #109
Major Player

That's really good advice. Thanks!

A dominatrix? Yikes!
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #110

have you considered calling the local SAG union? they usually maintain a list of available actors.
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #111
Wrangler

Looking online can work, but personally I've had much better results, using local acting organizations, theatres, schools, and hang outs.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #112
Major Player

Sounds great. You should call me next time you are down in my neck of the woods. Contact information on Lyonfilms.com. BTW - I know Boquist. Nice spot.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #113
Major Player

Do you need a voiceover?

If anyone is looking for a pleasant, soothing male voice please check out my voiceover demos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwaktb5WEo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zxQbbUCJA

I am a documentary videographer who does his own voiceovers. A few more clips can be found on my website...

www.mikepulcinella.com

I don't try to do all styles. I don't do characters. If you like my style and would like to work together, please contact me to discuss your project.

Thanks for your time,
Mike
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #114
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
have you considered calling the local SAG union? they usually maintain a list of available actors.
Which is good for a union shoot but less than good if it's not, since they aren't going to provide members names for a non-union shoot.
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #115
Major Player

Union shoot? Oh great, more technicallity
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #116
Major Player

Good DSR-570 lighting cameraman needed next week (London/South)

Due to extreme amount of business, myself and all the other freelancers I normally use are solidly booked for the next few weeks, hence I need someone next week for:

Dates - 28 Feb (tentative) and 1 March
Location - London
Format - DVCAM 16:9 (pref DSR-570 or better) - may consider Digi Beta
Type of Job - Filming in classrooms (Primary) plus interviews of kids plus teachers - some in situ in the classroom and some composed and lit to a high standard
Skills needed - Very good communication skills as you'll be working on your own directly with the client. Very good lighting skills for the IV's. Good experience (many years) generally of IV and general video filming.
Kit needed - full video/IV lighting and sound kit (wireless lapel and on-board shotgun etc)

Both of these jobs are VERY important to me, so only very skilled cameramen need apply. I will also need to see sample IV type work to check lighting abilities etc.

I'm always looking for good cameramen, so if your skills suit, there may be additional work in the future.

If you're interested and have the required skills/kit, please contact me via

camera @ siliconpixel dot com

Many thanks!

Paul.
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #117
Regular Crew

I would charge 250-300 for half day labor, plus whatever the rental on the camera is (i think it's usually 250 - 300 for the jvc), plus tape stock, and mileage (42 cents per mile) if the shoot is outside your city limits.

I guess it really depends on what market you are in too, every city has a different going rate. Here in SF a shooters standard day rate is 450-600 plus rental, but every city is different.

Also, there are ALWAYS undercutters and people who will work for lower rates, so be aware of that, but also be aware, if you quote someone a low rate, say 350 a day, then they are always going to want that rate.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #118
Major Player

If you say you have worked for this gentleman before, or others like him, why not just take what you were charging before and tack on another 10-20% for the upgraded gear?
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #119
Regular Crew

Crew needed in Kansas City

We will be hiring specific crew positions next month for our film, "Aegis". This is a general announcement to the filmmakers of KC to get a head start for the jobs.

Also, we are looking for these positions immediately:
storyboard artists, Illustrators, set designers and dressers, Hair and Make-up artists, special FX make-up artist, 3D modelers, matte painters, music composers, and musical artists witrh orginial music.

The positions we will be looking for for production are: DPs(x2), Assist Cameraman (x2), Script Supervisor, Gaffer, Grips, Sound Mixer, Boom Operator, Production Assistants, and a Dailies Editor.

If you are interested in helping out, reply to: aegisthemovie@gmail.com
with the subject heading of: AEGIS CREW POSITIONS

For more information, check out: www.myspace.com/aegisthemovie
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #120
Major Player

The geographic area does make a difference. I appreciate the input I've received. I haven't done video work for this client before. The way he wants the video done is not really the way I would do it to make it turn out the best. He wants about a day of shooting for his how-to video which is ok but with only one camera while he demonstrates his products.

Anyway, the feedback has been helpful.

Thank you
Lisa
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands