HDV Monitoring solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV Monitoring solution

Aloha,

I have ordered two of the new Sony HDR-FX1 cameras and I am wondering what's the best affordable solution for professional monitoring durring post production.

I am thinking of getting either a Decklink or Kona 2 HD I/O card for my G5.

For monitoring I am wondering which would be better

a 19" HD studio monitor with component HD in (JVC DT-V1910CGU)
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=&model_id=MDL101397

or

a 23" Apple cinema display with HDlink

or is there something else in the $3000-3500 price range that people would recommend? Something that doesn't require an HD I/O card would be nice, since I don't think we will be using the card for much more than monitoring.

We will be using it for editing, compositing, color correction, etc.
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2

Dustin,
Sorry I missed you 2 weeks ago, I was in Honolulu for the Sony showcase. Check out the Sony Premiere monitors at Videolife, tell Hui I sent you.
These monitors work GREAT for HDV previewing.
I'd avoid the Decklink for now...
Using a DVI out, the premiere works great.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Douglas,
When you say to use a DVI out, how do you get the video to the DVI out? Are you using a video card that displays your NLE video overlay to output full res to the DVI? Or are you just stretching the NLE video window the the full size of a 2nd monitor?

I am planning on using Adobe Premiere Pro with Cineform Aspect HD and would like to have a monitor preview full HDV quality, if that is possible.

Thanks.

Bryan
Bryan Spinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #4
RED Problem Solver

Read this:

http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_decklink.html

The Decklink + HDLink works superbly well. Did some tests converting HDV to uncompressed 1080i and playing back out and it worked great. I know lots of happy people with Decklink card - the Kona2 card was so delayed and still doesn't have all it's advertised features. Also, it's unknown wether the Kona2 card will work with a Nvidia 6800, whereas we know the Decklink HD Pro does.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions