tv for color ref. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

tv for color ref.

Help, needing advice. I´m editing a film in hdv, with an Imac G5, but the colors are awfull, darker, I already did the calibrating process but it´s not working, so I was palnning on getting one of these mini vga cables and buy a televsion to do the After Effects magic bulleting with the TV image as final reference.

So the question is if any tv works fot this, even the cheapest ones? Or should I go for something more sophisticated

thanks in advance
martin

Last edited by Martin Noboa; October 30th, 2006 at 03:35 PM.
Martin Noboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, that's subjective.

There is a reason that most production houses pay large amounts of money for 'monitors', a monitor will be highly accurate in it's color reproduction.

If you're doing it on the cheap, then go for a t.v. But keep in mind that you're color correcting for you audience, what kind of tv's do they have? A nicer t.v. will probably be...well...nicer.

Are you doing HDV? I'd suggest a HD lcd or plasma.
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes Brent, I´m editing hdv, but no money for plasma or hdv t.v. So I guess I´d go for the cheap tv, I assume is better than nothing, better than having my mac monitor which even after calibrating is still dark...

thanks
martin
Martin Noboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Trustee

One thing to ponder - I'm still confused about this myself - is that SD and HD use different color-spaces (601 and 709 is the jargon).

An HD TV presumeably has the circuity to know whether its receiving an SD or HD signal, and so uses the correct conversion matrix for the signal.

I am not sure what happens when HD footage on an NLE is sent out of a graphics card as a SD analogue signal. What does the NLE do? - what does the graphics card driver do? Yikes!

Anyway, to play it safe I recently bought a sub-$300 19" widescreen LCD HDTV to monitor on. I still don't really know what the system is doing color-space-wise, but the picture that I watch while monitoring does look essentially identical to what I see if I plug my HDV camcorder directly into my living-room HDTV's component inputs .... so I am happy enough for now.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Graham did you calibrate your hdtv and if so which model are you using?
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Heh! I adjusted the settings but it would be fibbing to call it 'calibration'. Basically I selected several commercial DVDs that I felt had very pleasing color balance and contrast - watched some selected scenes carefully several times on my main HDTV, then repeated that on my 19" while adjusting the settings.

I bought a Polaroid FLM-1911 ... black levels aren't great (contrast spec is 1:500) but apart from that I'm happy with it.

I realize now that "under $300" was the price I kinda hinted at to my wife ... it was *actually* $429 minus a $100 instant rebate offered the weekend I bought it.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions