What's Your LS300 Setup? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 17th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: What's Your LS300 Setup?

Here's my LS300 custom 15mm rails setup, installed on the detachable handle. This gives me 15mm mounting points for a follow-focus, LED light, and 5-inch monitor, while preserving access to the microphone mount, audio controls, and handle zoom buttons. The rear monitor mount weighs enough to balance the front mounted follow-focus. The single point of attachment to the top of the LS300 makes it highly convenient, allowing the camera to be mounted directly to a tripod.

Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle View Post
Steve - What's the make & model of that (slip-on?) microphone blimp/windscreen? I'm currently using a dead cat on a Rode NTG-2, but I like the profile of your cover & it might attract less attention (from kids & dogs).
Pretty sure it's a Rycote. I have the kit too:
14 CM UNIVERSAL CAMERA KIT: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Powell View Post
The rear monitor mount weighs enough to balance the front mounted follow-focus. The single point of attachment to the top of the LS300 makes it highly convenient, allowing the camera to be mounted directly to a tripod.
Had you considered lowering the bars another half inch or more?
I'm using the camera fairly naked myself, although I've tried various baseplates, the COG always ends up a little too high for my Vinten tripods to cope with.
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #19
Major Player

I almost started a new thread but I'll post this here instead...

The LS300 has a good, strong top handle mounting system, but perhaps they can sell an alternative top handle for those that need it.

Something containing the XLR connections but with a very low profile, lots more 1/4 and 3/8 threads, and maybe a 15mm rod mount?

The whole XLR section could even be placed towards the back for easier connection to an external mixer.
I'm thinking about this for the times I shoot drama with a sound recordist loomed into the camera, having the XLRs plugged in lower and nearer the back might be nicer.

If I need a handle I could swap back to my standard handle.
Old March 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Had you considered lowering the bars another half inch or more?
I'm using the camera fairly naked myself, although I've tried various baseplates, the COG always ends up a little too high for my Vinten tripods to cope with.
If I lowered the 15mm rails, they'd collide with the handle's microphone mount. The hardware I had on hand just happened to fit the handle with enough vertical clearance. With everything mounted on the 15mm rails, the camera is definitely top heavy. I don't mind as my tripod can handle it ok, but that's why rails are normally mounted below the camera on a baseplate. My setup is a compromise, but I wanted to take advantage of how quickly the handle (and all my attachments) can be detached from the camera itself.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #21
Major Player

My current set up, with a NanoFlash.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Your LS300 Setup?-p1010124.jpg   What's Your LS300 Setup?-p1010126.jpg  

What's Your LS300 Setup?-p1010127.jpg  
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:06 AM   #22
Major Player

Those Rokinons are big aren't they? Do they balance OK?
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #23
Major Player

I have the T1.5 35mm Rokinon. It's not really as heavy as it looks. Compared to my Nikon lenses (17-55 2.8 and 18-200), it is relatively light and balances okay. It's front heavy, but I can live with it. The Panasonic 12-35 (see photo) is the best as far balance and handheld work.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Your LS300 Setup?-p1010116.jpg  
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:22 AM   #24
Major Player

I've got lots of glass, but the 12-35 is my usual lens too.
I'm considering a set of 4x T1.5 Rokinons (Samyang) with Canon mount.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #25
Major Player

I'm pretty happy with the sharpness and overall quality of the Rokinon, especially since it came free with the camera! I don't think that you could go wrong with the set.

I bought a used speedbooster so that I could use my Nikon glass. The lens that I am most happy with is the Nikkor 35mm 1.8. Combined with the speedbooster, the low light sensitivity is really good, and it's sharp too. I think that I paid about $175 new for it several years ago, and they're are probably cheaper now.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Major Player

Speedbooster are much more expensive these days, but they are electronic devices.

There's some conflicting advice about which Speedbooster to use on the 300 and what VSM setting to use as they don't all cover the entire sensor.

But an older non electronic SB would be perfect for the Rokinon manual lenses.
Do you know the make/model of your SB?

Thanks for your replies!
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #27
Major Player

It's a Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.71x NF-M43 mount for Nikon G lenses. It is not the Ultra version, it's one of the older models.

Though I haven't used the SB on a job yet, in my testing, it works well. It appears to add a full stop. Setting the VSM to 80% (MFT), I initially thought that I saw some slight vignetting, but on closer inspection, 80% is the ideal setting for adapting a Nikon DX lens to MFT.

Last edited by Jim Nogueira; May 9th, 2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #28
Major Player

OK. So an 0.71x SB but with 76% VSM must get you back roughly where you started? But with an extra stop of light. But you are also below the 4k setting?

I've suggest to Aputure that they repackage their new 'Regain' Speedbooster as a dumb adapter, as the base price with the electronics and remote is already very low...

I wonder if the vignette is caused by the adaptor? If so, perhaps a manual modification (Dremel) could fix it
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #29
Major Player

Duncan, I edited my reply above, as I didn't see any vignetting at 80% when looking at it a second time.

Yes, I have the camera set to record 1080 30p HD and not 4K. I'll check it with 4K and see how that changes things.

Last edited by Jim Nogueira; May 9th, 2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #30
Major Player

I set the camera to record 4K and there is no difference, VSM set to 80% is perfect, with the advantage of the extra stop and being able to Nikon G lenses. There is no real -noticeable- focus or iris change when going from full wide to full telephoto either. It's there, but not drastic as with some lenses I have used.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders